1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

How so REEKO?
    You do realize I was being sarcastic right?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

no I didn’t :(

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, y’all are right. This KPJ guy sucks.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just happy he's getting his trade value up. If we get Scoot, he's gone, hopefully we can get some value in return if that's the case.

I think there's a very real chance these are the best volume numbers he ever posts in his NBA career. Happens every now and then, sometimes guys plateau around age 23 and teams discover they're not efficient enough to justify their ball-dominance, and they have a smaller role every season after that.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I don’t think you could dump his contract without adding assets at this point. He’s not positive value

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think he is a positive value but not much. Maybe a second-round pick at this point? Hard to say, depends on the team evaluating him I'd expect. There are some very dysfunctional organizations out there, although granted ours might be worse...

7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He's our best player. How can his value not be positive? The team has been competitive since he came back

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, this just plain isn't true. He might be our third best player behind Green and Sengun, or perhaps 4th best depending on how sustainable you think Jabari's month of March is moving forward. His poor defense and the combination of his inefficiency plus his need to have the ball in his hands are major liabilities that drag down his value.

But aside from that, I'd guess the @astrosrule thinks he isn't worth his nearly $16M salary next season, which is significantly more than any of those guys are getting paid.

Personally, I do think he is worth the money, but only by a little bit of surplus value. He'll be getting paid like a solid bench player who gets ~25 minutes per game, which is his ideal role in the NBA, with some possible upside to become more efficient and better at defense, which if it happened, would elevate him to being an excellent bench player/6th man of the year type candidate. (That chance of improving is where the surplus value comes from.)

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lmao

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Worst case, he's the 2nd best player on the roster when you factor in both sides of the ball. Sengun has an argument for #1.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to realize that you are arguing with oriole not tethered to reality. The better KPJ plays, the more they hate him because they are worried he's taking shine away from their favorite players.

That's why you shouldn't take player first or player only fans seriously. They are 100% agenda.

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Well without taking back long term money (say he was traded into a teams cap space), what do you think the rockets could get for him? Would a team give up what we gave up? Maybe, but i doubt it

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nothing.

The league knows what's up.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think his team-friendly contract has positive value. While very few teams would be interested to trade for him per se, he could be a good piece to be included in a package. There are worse players than KPJ who are getting paid more and longer. That in itself is value.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The most harmful thing to Green's development (other than Silas being his coach) has been the presence of KPJ.

It's worse than the blind leading the blind. KPJ thinks of himself as some kind of "leader", when in reality, he is a malcontent who would need strong leadership himself.

AlperenSengun and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The only team I could see making a desperation trade for him would be someone like the Lakers in a situation where they are trying to milk the last bit out of Lebron and AD, and are struggling to make the playoffs. They might be less worried about his negative influence in the locker room at that point. But we should not wait for that. Get rid of him any way you can. Addition by subtraction.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Again, I don't see a team actually want to create a trade to get him. But using him as a salary dump in a trade package could be enticing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Right, as part of a trade his contract has value (like Westbrook this season). He himself though as a player I think is negative value at 1 year 16 mil.

Easy likes this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

That’s not on KPJ that’s on the organization

The organization told Wall to sit down and blessed us with Nix as a backup

He doesn’t think of himself as the “leader” based on hierarchy. He probably thinks “I’m a year or two older than everybody else, I’m the most tenure Rocket, and I’m suppose to be a point guard, I should probably try to act more as a leader to the rookies than just some role player”

This is basically kids trying to teach themselves because the parents abandoned them in the name of tanking

Verbal Christ and cmlmel77 like this.
  20. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I would love the reactions of people here if he said “don’t ask me, man. I’m just here to do my job.”

Dude posts repeated efficient, productive games, says a bunch of nice things about all of his teammates (including Sengun), and the people up above just want to cut him or b**** about what a malcontent he is.

Here’s the thing … if you are posting ten times a day repeating yourself ad naseum about someone being an inefficient whiner, maybe take some time off posting while you look up “irony” in the dictionary.

Verbal Christ likes this.