1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Is it bias when you say KPJr is quitting? They're both young but only one gets the "he still a poor kid" excuse. Why is that?

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Oh Sengun pouts too my friend. Let's not forget the times there is a defensive mix up and Sengun's standing with his hands out whining at his teammates (his fault too). This is something we've all seen. Why haven't you held Sengun accountable for this? This is pouting 101

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun pouts and quit on plays more than any player on this team. He throws his hands up whenever he doesn’t get the ball in the post. He’s even said in interviews that he wants to play “his game” and doesn’t care to evolve his game to benefit the team

PatBev likes this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

And if he is still doing the same **** in year 4 vs year 2, he will get the same treatment. Let me repeat it for you since you missed it earlier; KPJ is a FOURTH YEAR vet. He is NOT a rookie or sophomore.

5. chenjy9

Supporting Member

It is bias to say that the mistakes of someone in year 2 is comparable in severity as someone in their 4th. The 4th year vet should no better but still makes the same boneheaded mistakes or decisions over and over. Also, one of them did not try to declare themselves the leader.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Makes me wonder if players who come from broken homes become better leaders than players that come from whole family units in a nurturing environment. The naive expectations from some of you in trying to hide your bias is certainly not lost on me. When KPJ said he was the "head honcho" that in itself showed some maturity so EVERYONE could direct their vitriol and abject disgust his way and some of you have had great fun with that thinking it was a sort of ego trip, but in reality this whole team could be ostracized at length for many ailments that typically come from a lack of overall experience. Which players in the NBA at year 4 are the baselines that the guys who despise KPJ hold him to? Superstar level expectation? Hmmm thats interesting.

7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

LOL you seriously think KPJ has that level of intelligence and foresight? If he did, he wouldn't have made and keep making the mistakes that he does.

As for baseline comparisons, since you KPJ stans insisted he was going to breakout into stardom this season lets compare him to the 4th years of "combo guards" who actually became stars.
    • James Harden - Significantly higher TS% and slightly lower TOV%
    • Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - Comparable TS% and significantly lower TOV%
      • TS% and TOV% for every season has been higher season however
    • Ja Morant - Comparable TS% and significantly lower TOV%
    • Jalen Brunson - Significantly higher TS% and significantly lower TOV%
    • Jamal Murray - Comparable TS% and significantly lower TOV%
    • Jeremy Lin (LOL) - Significantly higher TS% and comparable TOV%
    This goes back to the stance that KPJ "haters" have always had about him; he is still a below average both as a scorer and a playmaker in his 4th year. You can be below average in one or the other, not both categories.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

100% there were which is why fans got pissed when he was traded. and this feels like that situation to a degree. Kpj has played well the last couple games even with the boneheaded decisions but I still dont like him as the future PG of this team because he has low bball iq. He screams 6th man to me and if he can accept that I'm all for Kpj staying on the team

anthony59237 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

but he can't
    he needs to go

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Good! Stay on the basketball court with your fan analysis. My thought was aimed at those who now want to call into question leadership abilities within a roster composed of 19-24 year olds and the differences between how those leadership abilities are developed and nurtured. Continue to self gratify with Alperen Sengun as the baseline in that regard who is the efficiency darling for this team AND STILL doesnt sway game outcomes because that style of play doesnt win championships.

TS is now the barometer? GREAT! --- suddenly there is a hard on for Jaylen Brown on this site right? Go compare the career arc of him and overlay that with KPJ. Cherry picking is fun! :rolleyes:

maj21 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Moves back from favorite whipping boy to regular whipping boi.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We chose violence this morning

Ancient Moabite, maj21 and PatBev like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The Rockets won two championships with a Center as their best player.

P.S.: Whatever the hell KPJ does surely doesn't win championships.

14. maj21

maj21 Member

That center was the best defensive player in the league too. Sengun isn’t leading us to ****, neither will KPJ. I can be honest about things and put biased opinions to the side. Both KPJ and Sengun will be gone in the next couple of years, especially Sengun.

PatBev likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL what year is it? Who was the last C/PF type player to impact a championship with an inside/outside focus - Timmy D?

Wake up and get with the program its the 3&D era until they create a 4 point shot. Playing inside out is dead - cope or better yet just dont respond and please keep ignoring vs dropping these braindead "gems" - this goes for you and all the "Our only problem is KPJ" asshats.

maj21 likes this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

Teams win with guys like Looney and Tristan Thompson at the 5! Neither has any offense lol

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

3 > 2 + top 10 defense = champagne

Its not Rocket science (or is it?) ;)

18. maj21

maj21 Member

Haha. Like be honest.. can you see a championship team with Sengun being the franchise player and your starting center? I don’t see it

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When KPJ stops playing while he is on the floor in the middle of a play, as JJ Redick observed, or quits at halftime and drives home, I do not believe that is anti-KPJ bias. Last game he didn’t get the ball in one instance, and he then decided to not make it back to halfcourt. He did this purposefully and spitefully to sabotage the team like a bratty child might.

KPJ is 2 full years older than Alperen. That’s why Alperen, JG, Jabari all get the “youth excuse” more often than KPJ from the general public. Plus, they don’t have a documented history of being complete knuckleheads. Insiders on here have noted that KPJ is *still* a knucklehead behind closed doors. Hopefully that isn’t true…

You can’t enable a guy like KPJ to be a leader and then not hold him accountable when he has multiple instances of AAU-esque behavior. It demolishes the hierarchy and structure of what we are trying to build here.

Overall, I am still pleased with KPJ’s progress this year. He has undoubtedly made some solid improvements on and off the floor.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He reminds me a ton of Tyreke Evans.

The big question with KPJ is: Can the bad habits be corrected? The bad body language? He has some stuff that is so deeply ingrained. It’s like he grew up only playing trash ball and was enabled at every turn. Which is why he was kicked off his college team, and why Evan Mobley’s Dad wanted Mobley to be miles and miles away from him.

I will say that in person he is a really sweet guy that wants to get better. He is trying. I can’t help but want to pull for him, but dear lord, some of the things he does go behind youthful ignorance.

However, for the aforementioned reasons, I am much higher on JG/Jabari/Tari/Sengun as pillars of this team going forward. Not a day goes by when I don’t hope that KPJ turns a corner.

#5520 RudyTBag, Mar 23, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2023