1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

#5321 i3artow i3aller, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Regardless of how one feels about KPJ, it should be easy to give him credit for a good game. I don’t like the drama he brings and the way he calls attention to himself. He’s a big freaking drama Queen. But he did play a good game tonight. There were moments of iso street ball, but he can be very good if he’s willing to be team-first. Maybe I’m crazy but it felt like he played a little more off the ball tonight. When that happens he usually plays well.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Delete post

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was the best team game I've seen KPJ play and it was weird. He seemed like his injury hobbled his shooting, so he really was looking to pass and it paid off. If he could learn to do this all of the time KPJ would be positive contributor to any team.

Aruba77 likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If a lot more of his field goals were assisted and he just gave effort on every defensive play, he would be outplaying his contract right now regardless of the team around him and our record. He'd be seen as an up and coming young PG on an amazing contract.

However, he's WAY too likely to dribble the ball when he receives it, wastes time. A lot of times the shot he had the moment he received the ball is far superior to the shot he creates. Yes his game looks good but it's often not creating a better shot for him. He's too insecure about proving himself and doing it his own special way, which is becoming tiresome to watch in season 3 of his Rockets career. It's disappointing to see a player have ALL the abilities necessary to be a good player and consistently choose to play a different way.

I think the only thing that would change him is a legendary coach or elite veteran who opens his eyes to what a waste it is to not give effort for the 10-20 short years you have in the NBA. I really think the only remedy for him is a winning situation with a strong culture and we are only starting our culture this coming summer and most likely will allow Silas a shot at a competitive regular season. Maybe a demotion to the bench will spark something in him but it may not be enough.

Sad cause he could be the ideal PG for this team. Secondary playmaker to Sengun, great off the catch, can play really good defense at the 1/2, backed up by a solid prospect in Tyty. Some people just need a little extra time to get over these things but from this summer onwards the cultural accountability must and will increase dramatically. I'm not sure I want a guy who quits on plays to be around this team. I'm going to need to see a lot of growth from him in 14 games (just need non-heroic, hard-working and intelligent basketball).

Hank McDowell likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The sad thing for him is that he could have been in a winning situation in Cleveland...

The Rockets was the only team that would give him a chance. Ironically the Rockets are not a good situation for him.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I honestly think that its nice that we were the franchise that gave him a second chance at the league, we handed him the keys too early which inflated his ego.

He's not good enough to b the starting pg. His play making and court vision isn't good enough, and he doesn't score efficently/enough to compensate. Our offense rating has been pretty awful with him as pg. Kpj stans like to blame green and smith for being the two "anchors" holding us back, but that narrative getd debunk when our offense rating was better w/o kpj when we utilize a make shift sengun centered
    offense.

We gave him about 3 years to b our pg and we get 3 seasons of basically being dead last. Hopefully kpj is mature enough to step aside for someone better to b the pg, but i doubt it.

fckbandwagons and King1 like this.
  8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I haven't said much lately about KPJ, he was out for a bit, but last night at least the first half I saw, he was absolute trash.

Wont be to harsh on him yet as he was injured, times ticking tho

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Head honcho's best quality besides passing is catch and shoot but he'll never settle for that.

Aruba77 and King1 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sexton is out of there, there is no way Sexton played inferior.

He would have been either benched or traded either way, it is not just off court issues.

He is talented for sure but he is not consistent, also not a big winner.

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

3 years of intentional tanking

I don’t think we come after Green and Jabari that much. I think we are just more baffled that people come for KPJ throat when given players like Armoni Brooks, Mathew’s, Nix, Christopher, and undrafted players like KMJ and Tate. People who can’t shoot or finish around the rim like Tari. No knock on Jabari but his first season had some of the most horrendous 3 point shooting. Them boys went 1-13 from the 3 line yesterday and KPJ still had 13 assist

I want Henderson in the draft, but I just want to see this forum acknowledging the semi g league roster we handed him with hopes of tanking

I would love to see what SGA would do with this same roster at 22 or even Harden if this was the roster and shooting cast we have right now

snowconeman22 and Verbal Christ like this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Harden is another animal. He has carried even worse looking/less talented teams to the playoffs.

I do think folks are harsher on kpj bc of his past and current on court behavior but it doesn't change the fact that kpj doesn't have the skillset required to b a good point guard since his playmaking and court vision isnt good enough. He isn't a great scorer either, he can't draw free throw well and isn't efficient at shooting either. It's also been well noted that he freezes the hot players out.

Kpj isn't a floor raiser hence our team looks even worse. Do u wonder why folks are hype that Harden, a man folk see as way past his prime is still a better option at pg than kpj? It's bc he's has the high bbiq, court vision and passing ability to raise the floor of his teammates. He could also still score at will when needed.

I'm not too knowledgeable about sga at 22, so I can't make a fair assessment of how well he fare.

I do acknowledge that Silas being a bad coach and playing favorite is also why folks dislike kpj.

Pretty sure if kpj can score 20-30 points per game efficiently and put in effort at defense, there would b less folks hating on kpj.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. PatBev

PatBev Member

I agree with you post but what roster did Harden have that was less talented than this team?

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

The roster for his first season with us was pretty bad. Our best player after Harden was either Parsons or Lin. I am pretty sure we can all agree than Sengun is better than Asik, Bari is better than Parsons, and Green/KPJ is better than Lin. Harden managed to drag that team to the playoffs though!

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He had a good game yesterday. Thing is every time he seems to be turning a corner, he reverts back to the ball dominate guy we all know.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why doesn't someone ask him about his extremely immature pouting during the game, and the argument with the coach? I can tell you these questions would be asked 100 % in European football (soccer) in a postgame interview with a player, if that's what happened in the last game.

It seems like Houston sports media really has to do softball questions only, otherwise they lose their access?

Hank McDowell likes this.
  17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

None of those players declared themselves the head honcho or positioned themselves as The Man on the team. There is also expectations to consider; we don't expect much (if anything) from the likes of Brooks, Matthews, Nix, or even Jaygup at this point. KMJ and Tate have both also drastically outperformed what we expected. None of those players also came with their own rabid stans shoving down everyone else's throats how awesome said player would be and were on the cusp of breaking into stardom and any naysayer was just too dumb at basketball to understand.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

2012-2013 rockets.

19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

YFDM!

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Bro don’t disrespect Lin after linsanity. I would say he was a step ahead of KPJ&Green in terms of knowing nba basketball in 2012 Same with Parsons. I would take 2012 Parsons over 2022 rookie Jabari smith in a team trying to compete like Hardens teams were every year

Harden also had vet dudes like Brooks, Delfino, and Garcia. Real vets. Not no 19 year old rookies. Even a younger Pat Pev

And let me make this clear Sengun is a smaller DMo but at least DMo could make it fucin 3Mo

snowconeman22 likes this.