1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Korean BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tochiee22, Oct 30, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Near the bottom of Asian foods? Korean food especially fast food is big in other parts of Asia now.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah but not the most traditional ones....what they eat....Spicy Ramyon, Spicy tteokbokki or innards.

I do not eat innards, and no street food innards.

I have come to accept Kimchi, Kimchi turnips, grilled Cheese chicken rice.

If I had to choose, I probably eat Dim Sum or Japanese Tempura, Teppan meat, Chicken Katsu, Gyoza and shet.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Tteokbokki seems pretty popular now with a lot of instant ones on sale at even non Asian grocery stores. In Hong along and Singapore I’ve seen a lot of Korean restaurants opening with long lines for the hottest ones.

For innards most traditional Asian foods eat innards. Tripe is very popular in Chinese, Vietnamese and Thai food.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True, those are for aficionado of things but for regular people with a Euro stomach those are a tad spicy.

Even for Azns who are grown elsewhere.

I would like Laksa for example but it is not something I eat often....Singapore related.

I am more of a grounded guy, I do not get swept by some Korean Hallyu Wave.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

sorry…..can’t help the way I feel. Still, that wasn’t an insult. My top five favorite cuisines are ALL Asian. I’m like an Asian wannabe.

VanityHalfBlack and daywalker02 like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is always Fried Chicken and Beer.

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If you like Laksa you should try this
    [​IMG]
    I've been ordering this by the case and the rest of my family even my cousins who grew up here in the US love it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Didn't take it as an insult and if you don't like Korean food nothing wrong with that. Just pointing out that it is really popular right now even among other Asians.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do find BBQ different than traditional food, and their version of BBQ is just more marinated meat.

Different grilling plates and such....but taste is not that different. If not vegans. (Am picky myself)

So I do think the West would like that more than the other stuff.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

oh man, I can’t get enough of Kogi. I was in walking distance from their brick and mortar Taqueria and now pop up truck that is catty corner to the former location in West LA.

Their short rib and spicy pork are my absolute favorite.

honestly I don’t get out to the suburbs much, for the traditional experience I would just go to anywhere in Koreatown and it would be a sure bet. I can’t remember the name of the last place I attended but there were lines out the door on every restaurant in the block of Wilshire where we ate.

11. adoo

adoo Member

for all intents and purposes, West LA is a suburb, almost 10 miles away from Korean Town, which is in mid-city

you should, there are (middle class/affuent) Korean enclaves in the suburbs such as Cerritos, Irvine, the OC. etc.

they're more than wiling to pay for their exquisite Korean cuisine that satisfy their sophisticated and discriminating palates.

#31 adoo, Nov 1, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Again…..I do not dislike Korean food. How could a Texan ever hate good cuts of meat that you get to cook yourself in a restaurant? I also like cabbage in many forms….. Kimchi being one. But Thai, Vietnamese and Indian (some consider Indian as Asian, some do not) as my favorite foods in the world. I grow lemongrass, galangal, mukrat lime trees, Thai basil, holy basil, and Thai sweet basil in my backyard. My Asian food loving ways are real. Korean food just isn’t at the top of my list of loves. That’s all.

donkeypunch and daywalker02 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is correct, a part of my favorites is Curry and Korea is not known for good Curry.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Bori.

Bori

Bori.

And its not terribly** expensive. Amazing team and staff

tochiee22 likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im with you on the rating of Korean food in general. Its good, but Id rather have Vietnamese, Thai and Cantonese.

Have you ever tried Cambodian sour chicken soup? You grow all the ingredients already and its a super simple clear broth dish to make and very tasty. The video uses chicken parts but I use a whole rock cornish hen. If you decide to make it, what I do is cook the whole chicken through and then remove it for 2 reasons:
    • Helps when skimming the scud out
    • when cooked its easier to chop into more manageable pieces. Then just toss all the pieces back in the soup
    • I dont use sugar in mine but Ill try using a little next time to see if helps balance. Def not using 2 tbsp like the video suggests though.
    • I also garnish with 1 inch cuts of green onion and Thai basil.

Pole and daywalker02 like this.
  16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Thanks for the recommendations. West LA (Palms, specifically) is not a suburb however. It’s a neighborhood within the city limits in the LA basin, or is generally part of the greater Westside of the City of Los Angeles.

17. adoo

adoo Member

whatever floats your boat.

i like all Asian food, not Mongolian

18. Buck Turgidson

You're not wrong. I get what you're saying.

19. Buck Turgidson

"Mongolian Beef" as it's been Americanized, is ****ing awesome

I have no clue what real Mongolian food is.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Salted horse meat and horse milk.