1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC - "Rockets really want Cade"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jul 13, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Cade should pull a Steve Francis to Vancouver debacle

ickaruto likes this.
  2. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

LMAO! Zero percent chance of trading up. There is no generational LBJ player in the draft.

I see us trading down to 3 and acquiring another draft pick or swaps and still getting one of the three top guys.

fattz likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

See what you did there, smart.

4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

cade does seem like someone Stone would fall in love with.

or are we just trying to get OKC to pay more?

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If they trade down, do the Pistons want Mobley or Green? If Mobley, how about…

2, 23, 24, their future FRP, and Gordon

for

1, Plumlee and fillers?

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The chance is not zero. It’s significantly higher than zero because there is no generational player in the draft.

PeterKingX, Bo6 and ElPigto like this.
  7. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

We're going to get Cade I'm already calling it. I just dreamt of it a few nights ago lol.

bigreg, Bo6 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

While I appreciate what you are saying, and there is logic to it..... If the Rockets believe that Cade is a franchise (top 10 in the league) type player and believe that Green and Mobley are not, then I can see the Rockets giving up a lot to move up for Cunningham. A single franchise player without warts is worth more than the entire rest of the roster. I could see the Rockets easily giving up at least one of the Nets picks, and other first rounders to get Cunningham. If the Pistons decide they like the scoring upside of Green, they may only require 1-2 #1's to drop to second.

I will say this, getting Cunningham would give the Rockets a lot of flexibility positionally and defensively going forward. Cunningham lacks elite lateral speed but is strong and smart and can be at least an adequate defender at 3-4 spots on the floor in switches and 2-3 spots straight up.

Deckard, sydmill, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I actually think the opposite. Stone is like Morey, they both are gamblers.... I don't doubt at all that Stone would take a player #1 without meeting him if he passes Stone's gut test and all the intel on him is positive. There is a lot of press and attention on the #1 pick, if there are legitimate questions they will come out.... like they did with Wiseman and Kwame Brown and others.... you cannot hide it.

Deckard, Deuce and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

preach

there not being enough certainty in this draft or not enough separation between the top prospects in this draft to justify moving up is just opinion…the Rockets could see things totally different based on the homework they’ve done and intel they have which is far more than anyone on here, and they could be right

Deuce, Nook and RudyTBag like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 is he better than andrew wiggins right now?
    2 insert him on USA team, does he helps them winning a medal, any medal not necessarily the gold?

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What would it realistically take to get the #1 pick, in your opinion?

Nook likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That Detroit Pick that ties up all their picks to 2029 or whatever is huge.
    That and the #2 is a super interesting starting point for a rebuilding franchise.

KPJ
    Tate
    Cade
    KJM
    Wood

Would be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Its hard to take anything in these articles with any significance, imo.

Teams leak info. Stone is well aware of this and this strategy.

"Leak" either came from Rockets or Pistons. If from Pistons, the reason is obvious - whether true or not - they are trying to see what max value they could get in a trade, so need a stalking horse bidder to drive up that price.

If from Rockets... not sure, maybe trying to drive up the price of the #1 for other teams, and they're not actually interested.

or the 3rd option, they are interested, and it just got leaked...

fattz likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

speaking of leaks/insider info I haven't seen @Codman post in a while. hope he's doing well.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Not buying it, we haven’t interviewed him nor has he done a workout for us.

JusBleezy likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don’t know how many games this team wins, but I’d be glued to the TV for each one.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

One thing I like about Cade is that he's not acting like a fashion celebrity.

juanming, JusBleezy, sydmill and 2 others like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

It is hard to say without knowing how the Rockets and Pistons view Cunningham compared to Green... and then there is the possibility of a team like OKC throwing a lot of assets to move up.

If the Pistons prefer Green, then the cost is likely going to be a couple future #1's with protections.

If the Pistons decide that Cunningham IS a franchise player and Green isn't, then the cost would likely be so high no trade can take place.

My "guess" is that Stone and the Rockets believe that Cunningham is a safer bet to be a franchise player, and will be willing to give up some of the assets from the Brooklyn trade and other trades; but will not give up their own #1 over the next 3-4 years. Detroit likely knows that Cunningham is the safest pick but also thinks that Green or Mobley can be a higher end star... and their GM is someone that isn't afraid to think outside the box or go against popular sentiment.

I think a realistic deal would be the Rockets trying to get a pick in the later lottery (#13) and then package that with the #2 pick and maybe one of the Nets picks (with some degree of protection) for the #1 pick. I could also see the Rockets then spin off Tate and/or Wood for assets to replenish what they lost in a Cade trade.

Stone isn't stupid, if TF is on board for a 2-3 year rebuild, the Rockets would want to move guys like Wood and Tate and Gordon, so that they don't win so many games with Cunningham that it costs them a high lottery pick next year. Get Cade (or Green) this season and then next season try to get a top 5 pick as well and you possibly have a couple of franchise cornerstones. The 2022 and 2023 drafts are loaded with long 4/5's, it is possible that in 2022 and 2023 we are going to see guys that are over 7'0" with wingspans over 7'5" go first in both drafts.

20. steddinotayto

Excellent post as always.

I think Weaver would bite on #2, #13 and another pick. That's worth a drop down if he's not 100% sold on Cade and likes Green/Mobley better. I guess the (sarcastic) question for the people on here is: are you willing to give up 2nd All Rookie Team Jae'Sean Tate for the 13th pick so that you can acquire Cade Cunningham?

Deckard, bigreg, fattz and 1 other person like this.