1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC: Rockets have had conversations with Memphis about trading down from #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 4, 2024.

?

What’s the best realistic Memphis package for #3

Poll closed Jul 2, 2024.
  1. #9 + Unprotected Future 1st

88 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. #9 + Marcus Smart

48 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. #9 + Luke Kennard and multiple future 2nds

26 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. MystikArkitect

This is probably more like having #3 and instead of drafting Brandon Roy we traded it for Shane Battier.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So long as it gets Stone fired, I'd be okay with then completely botching the draft by trading down to 9.

It'll hurt the team in the short run, but if we get a competent GM out of it then it might be worth it.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

No disrespect to KOC, but I thought it was basically broadcasted from the front office themselves (via Feigan, and Iko at least) that they were going to shop the pick. You can basically look at every team that is drafting from 4 to 10, and assume the Rockets have had multiple conversations with those team to move back in hypothetical scenarios.

I think KOC is just hearing the same things that Feigan and Iko have been told by the Rockets front office. Pistons, Jazz, Thunder, Spurs, Memphis, etc... I just assume there are proposals out there for every single one of those team.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Stone is offering a haul for Ja Morant. No way in hell they make that trade, but I'm sure since the motto this Summer is "Star Hunting" Stone is going to make those calls anyways so he can report back to Tillman that he's trying to get him the "Star" he craves to sell tickets, and when someone like Ja isn't available, he can tell Tillman... "well we can't get him, but we can get him, etc."

5. MystikArkitect

If the Rockets trade for Ja Morant they need a stipulation in the contract that he has to stay away from Midtown and the square encompassed by 610/Gessner/Westheimer/Richmond.

dobro1229 likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why in the hell would the rockets want Floppus Shart?

Rocket River

7. theDude

theDude Member

Always? As in, that doesn’t change when there is a new GM or new coach? They have some strange metric that all staff are forced to use because it comes with the building?

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I think some team grabs him before Chicago at #11. I never understood why he isn’t being mentioned in that tier with Kenecht. His production in a very good Big East was off the charts. Carter is an outstanding defensive player, he’s the best rebounder in the draft, and he improved his 3pt shooting to 37.7% this year. He’s 6’3” and probably not a point guard, but has almost a 6’9” wingspan so he can definitely play the 2. Oh, and he has an insane motor, intensity, and work ethic; wants to be great.

we are going to look back and see that Carter was one of the best players in this class. If we move back Carter should be the target. Can’t confidently say that any of the players we are considering at #3 will be better than Devin Carter. It’s just an age thing.

subtomic and OremLK like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dallas was willing to give up the #5 pick and a future unprotected to move up from 5 to #3 overall to draft Luka. Boston traded down from #1 for #3 and a future unprotected first in the Fultz for Tatum deal with Philly (and man that was one of the best trades of all-time). I understand this is a weaker draft class, but it's also a 7 spot jump rather than a 2 spot jump.

clos4life and theDude like this.
  10. Rockets34Legend

11. Rockets34Legend

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

One year of Luke Kennard and a future pick no better than 15th for the 3rd pick.
    I’m trading back to where the (Nets) pick was originally slated for Luke Kennard and a future first?

[​IMG]

Get Kelly Iko off the trade machine.

13. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

That's ridiculous.

14. ipaman

ipaman Member

Brooks is a proven vet, he earned his money. Green and Sengun prove my point and it seems you agree lol.

It's strange to me you've identified "how the system works" but won't pivot to take advantage (or not be taken advantage) of "the system."

Overpaid top pick busts is how your team ends us sucking.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

As I have no control, I just find it interesting - doesn't both me if we draft or trade it as long as we are getting better.

DD

Rudyc281 and sirjesse like this.
  16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

It was Rudy Gay for Battier

18. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Cue the baby praising God meme.

19. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

It's also about the quality of the team whose pick you're getting in the trade to move down.

In the DAL-ATL trade, Atlanta received a pick in the next year's draft from a 24 win team that was expected to be really bad the next year (DAL). The pick was top 5 protected for 1 year, then unprotected.

In the PHI-BOS trade, Philly received a pick in the next year's draft from a 26 win team that was also expected to be really bad again the next year (LAL). The protection was unusual: if the pick didn't land between #2 and #5 the next year, Philly instead got a top 1 protected pick in the following year from SAC, a 32 win team also expected to be bad.

Philly and Boston received expected lottery picks with significant likelihood of being top 8 picks, to move down two spots.

Memphis is expected to be good. Their vegas win total will be in the mid to high 40s. Median expectation on a 2025 Grizzlies pick is in the ~18th-22nd range,.

IMO, that kind of pick isn't material in a discussion about moving from #9 to #3. We'd just be trying to dump it next year.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Any original idea Iko expresses sucks. I can’t believe he is even a basketball reporter. This tidbit is just what he was instructed by the Rockets to say.