1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC: Rockets have had conversations with Memphis about trading down from #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 4, 2024.

?

What’s the best realistic Memphis package for #3

Poll closed Jul 2, 2024.
  1. #9 + Unprotected Future 1st

88 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. #9 + Marcus Smart

48 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. #9 + Luke Kennard and multiple future 2nds

26 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

3 and van vleet for morant

don grahamleone and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I just want some guys who can put the ball in the hole consistently from deep.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Memphis is going to be a good team for the foreseeable future, so their FRP's are less valuable than, say, Chicago's, Portland's, or Charlotte's in the future. I might require a bit more than just an unprotected FRP from them, where I'd definitely do Caruso + 11 from Chicago or even Caruso + future FRP from them, which I'd actually prefer more than Caruso + 11.

raining threes and darksoul35 like this.
  4. Mattician

Mattician Member

So we think Reed Sheppard is the guy if the Rockets stay at 3, right?

How would everyone feel about this trade if it did happen, and Dalton Knecht is picked at 9?

You'd obviously do it more so for the other assets you're getting because it's not a guarantee Knecht would still be there at 9.

Think I'd still lean Sheppard. But I'd be curious to see the kind of return the Rockets could get for trading down from 3 to 9.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

…that is…until the next wannabe gangbanger audition tape leaks.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Or you could grab Jared McCain at 9. He’s a helluva shooter too. Then Devin Carter also comes into play @ 9.

No Worries and ThatBoyNick like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I'm a Carter guy, no on Knecht. Comparable scoring output between those two but Carter is a beast of a defensive player while Knecht is just so-so.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Who is Memphis trading up for that they desperately want, that we would pass on?

Just thinking about who Memphis has on their team and their goals at this stage, my guess is that this would only be a draft day trade if Sarr or Risacher dropped to three. I could possibly see them liking Reed as well, but my guess would be the former two would be their targets.

Memphis is in win now mode and I doubt they would want to trade up for guys that can't contribute right away and may never be main contributors.

That said, I get the Rockets exploring all options...and if something too good to pass up comes along, go for it....but lets not overthink this. Take one of the top three players on your board.

santo379 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who knows if it’s true but reportedly Clingan. (Rumor has it Memphis, Portland, Chicago may want to trade up.)

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This list is a bit like the Rocket's listing Tate, Landale, and Jeff as available assets to move up from 3 to 1. Sure it's pure delusion to think about Ja, Bane, JJJr, GG, but assets like one or two of - a future 1st, Smart, Clark, or V.Williams should be in play.

Kennard, Williams, Konchar, Aldama, LaRavia, Wantanabe, Rose are very hard to get excited about. If the Rockets are taking these guys back as the "asset" and try to call it a win, then it becomes clear this is a pure cap move of getting the cheaper contract at #9.

Kennard isn't a bad add at all, especially in place of a planned MLE to a guy like M.Beasley, but there's got to be something more coming with him.
    Yeah, Carter, Ware, Edey, Collier, McCain, Missi, and Carrington come to mind as acceptable reaches at #9. At that spot in this draft, you pretty much got a pass to take the best prospect out of anybody who could go in the top 20. We could always pull a Wood/TyTy type of deal where we trade back multiple times.

#30 ThatBoyNick, Jun 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
    DrNuegebauer likes this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

They got Lively envy from the Mavs and covet Clingan. He's definitely the one they're gunning for.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

They don’t have a center. They would be trading for Clingan if this is even true. I don’t believe anything in the media leading up to the draft. Hell, I don’t believe anything in the media that hasn’t happened in front of a camera.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ahhhh...I forgot all about Clingan...

14. HealthyHamstring

Landale
    Tate

for

Future Unprotected First Round Pick
    Luke Kennard

FVV/Amen
    Jalen/Kennard
    Dillon/Cam
    Jabari/Tari
    Sengun/Adams

Take a huge upside swing at #9 and park them in the G League for a year

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Smart and Kennard would be the targets. I don’t really want Smart (I like Brogdon or Caruso better), but if this is even remotely true, I think the Rockets are looking at #3, Landale and filler, for #9, Smart, Kennard and a highly protected future 1st.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Give them Jalen and 3 for Desmond Bane. Hes exactly what we need.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Then sir, I have some deep fakes for you.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Ha. Very true.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of the above

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets: Bridges, Smart
    Memphis: Brooks, Clingan at 3
    Nets: 9th Pick, 2 Grizzlies 1sts, Houston 1st

*Nets get 4 1sts for Bridges, including their own 2025 Pick, so they can freely tank this year for Cooper Flag or whoever.

*Rockets get two elite Udoka guys without losing any of their core 6.

*Memphis gets DB back, and a franchise C.

Rockets:
    Fred/Smart
    JG/Cam
    Bridges/Amen
    Jabari/Tari
    Alperen/Adams

BamBam likes this.