1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC: Rockets have had conversations with Memphis about trading down from #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jun 4, 2024.

?

What’s the best realistic Memphis package for #3

Poll closed Jul 2, 2024.
  1. #9 + Unprotected Future 1st

88 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. #9 + Marcus Smart

48 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. #9 + Luke Kennard and multiple future 2nds

26 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Moving on from Green - It's hard to envision Sheppard as a starter with FVV ... that's an awful small guard tandem, they'd struggle defensively even though both are solid defenders.

Drafting Sheppard means you either see him as a point in the future or you pair him with a bigger point guard who can defend 2's and 3's.

I can't see a single team starting two dudes 6 foot nothin.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

yeah, but both scenarios you mention could play out. Reed as the off ball with Amen, or Reed as the primary with whomever is our future 2-guard.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

agreed . Sheppard has an interesting fit if Amen continues to grow and eventually supplants FVV

imo the best chance to supplant green (outside of a trade ) is from Cam whitmore .

I think green is a streaky scorer who doesn’t bring much else in terms of connectivity/creation/ or defense … but even then I think he’s ahead of most rookies .

Even saying that , I don’t think he’s the weakest starter . That would be Jabari . Although I am high on Jabari because I think he plays the game the right way . He , much more than green needs to add power . Or , ime could shift his position and play him at the 2/3 … he still needs to be a better finisher .

Brooks is actually ideally situated as a 2 guard , especially when matched up against bigger opposing guards .

Sengun has shown the most flashes , but I’m worried about his injury… and man would it be really nice if he could shoot (even from midrange would help) . I had defensive concerns prior to the season and I’m happy with how he managed to play as part of a unit and was solid . I look forward to the league’s adjustment and how he responds .

the main “problem” with the rockets is that we definitively don’t have a “guy” a top 5 , 10, or 15 player . You can argue that sengun and FVV are on the bubble around 20 .

It makes it hard to make a “win” move because you know your ceiling is capped.

THATS why we have kept pushing jalen green and hoping he grows into that . Amen based off his athleticism has that potential too , but he has to grow a lot as well . Jabari is maybe even a longer shot , but has the positional size and fluidity to be great .

we are so lucky to have gotten #3 this year . How stone uses it will be huge .

Sheppard has a massive height problem working against him of breaking into that top 10 tier ever .

If Sarr is there it’s a no brainer for me . Otherwise I think I’d choose castle .
    sheppard is the best current fit , but I don’t really know what his path is .

cmlmel77 likes this.
  4. War Machine

War Machine Member

Highly unlikely Rockets trade down. Don't see the Grizzlies offering enough to move into the top-3. Much more likely they stay put and draft whoever they believe BPA is (hopefully Reed).

Aruba77 likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sheppard is 11 years younger than Fred, there isn't much of a long-term starting tandem to be had even if one wanted it.

If we were to draft Sheppard, ideally we could reduce Freds minutes to about 30 a night, with Fred and Reed running together for short stretches against bench units (like 4mpg per half, 8 total). This gives Reed a path to average 25 mpg while backing up Fred, until Fred either leaves (could be as soon as 1 year), or is ready to swap roles with Sheppard - if we retain both longer term.

6. xiki

xiki Member

indeed I hope you’re correct. I don’t believe it’s 100%, tho. 77%, perhaps?

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or some other team trying to figure that problem out about Reed. Rockets are in win now mode. Not wait for Reed to earn a starting spot to win mode.

8. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Well, the Raptors did win a championship in 2019 with Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet playing 74% of the available backcourt minutes. Lowry's a likely Hall of Famer, so that's probably not a fair comparison to Sheppard, but it does prove it's viable, especially when you've got length and athleticism across the rest of the team. Regardless, it seems pretty doubtful that FVV is going to be on the Rockets when they are actually trying to advance in the playoffs; MAYBE they pick up his 3rd-year option if they really don't think Amen is ready, but honestly, I do not want to be giving money out to a 31-year old guard who already has zero margin of error to slip physically.

Amen Thompson seems tailor-made to be an ideal backcourt mate on defense for Sheppard; the guy is a defensive weapon that you build your scheme around. Reed should be able to be protected from any matchup he can't handle, and I am hopeful that he can play above his height and physical limitations similar to how Sengun can compensate at center with experience.

The fit on the offensive side alongside Amen is actually where I'd be a bit more concerned; neither of them seem to be a dynamic attacker who can create advantages for teammates at this time, Reed because of the lack of aggression and handle, Amen because of the handle and the increasing amount of total disrespect for the jumper. Here, the Rockets might just have to rely on having the Sengun cheat code; you don't have to have your backcourt be overly dynamic when all you want is for them to pass it to the big man; you want as many play finishers as you can.

Easy likes this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

It's good we already have a young dynamic guard who also is around 6'5" so we don't have to worry about these things.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Morey daring Houston to make move.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

“There are a couple of teams that are being very active trying to trade up to draft the UConn big man. Memphis and Chicago, in particular, I am hearing are making significant attempts to move up to a position where they could draft Clingan.”

“The intel is right now Chicago and Memphis are making very clear attempts to move up in the draft with hopes of taking Clingan with Houston being a potential trade partner there. That is certainly something to watch.”

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Chicago is headed no where. Memphis actually has a future. If we can get some future unprotected Chicago picks im intrigued.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

JJJ or no deal

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. raining threes

Jalen/Cam might become really good.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Sure. Just saying I don't see how Can has a higher ceiling.

17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

BobbytheGeek knows nothing about basketball and can't ever admit when he's wrong. Jury is still out on what level payer he winds up being but he's not a bust.

raining threes likes this.
  18. raining threes

This post doesn't surprise me, you're blinded by Green's god given abilities. I question if he can become a 35-37 % three point shooter and although he's got the ability, will he become a better defender. It's really a work ethic issue that should've already been answered within his 1st 3 years in the league and I think it's a 50/50 proposition that Green will put in the work to become the alpha on the team. Cam has about the same odds as Green at becoming the aplha IMHO.

Mr.Scary likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Not loading for me… what is it / what did it say?

Rudyc281 likes this.