1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe, woman had some consensual contact

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Jul 31, 2003.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-bryantcase&prov=ap&type=lgns

Kobe Bryant reportedly ignored accuser's demand to stop

By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer
    July 31, 2003
    EAGLE, Colo. (AP) -- Kobe Bryant has already said he had sex with a 19-year-old hotel worker who has accused him of rape, but new reports present a more complicated picture about what happened in his mountain resort suite a month ago.

ABC News and the Vail Daily, citing anonymous sources, reported that Bryant and the woman had some consensual sexual contact but that she did not agree to have intercourse with him.

The network also said the woman, a concierge at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera, was in Bryant's room for less than a half hour. Both ABC and the Vail paper reported that Bryant gave inconsistent statements to Eagle County authorities.

Police and court records have been sealed and Judge Frederick Gannett has limited what officials can say about the case. Gannett was to hear arguments Thursday during a hearing on whether the records in the case should be made public.

ABC and the Vail paper reported that Bryant's accuser gave him a tour of the hotel when he arrived June 30 and that he later asked her to come to his room.

The Rocky Mountain News reported Thursday that law enforcement sources close to the investigation said the woman suffered physical trauma in the vaginal area. The Vail paper also reported that its sources said the woman showed signs of physical injury.

Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for the Eagle County prosecutor, declined comment Thursday. Sheriff's spokeswoman Kim Andree said her office would not comment on the reports.

Andree said only two people in the sheriff's office have regular access to the investigative records, and said she trusts both not to release information. She said such action would be grounds for dismissal.

Bryant, an All-Star guard for the Los Angeles Lakers, has been charged with one count of sexual assault. Bryant said he had consensual sex with the woman. His attorney, Pamela Mackey, did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Bryant has posted a $25,000 bond and is scheduled to return to Colorado Aug. 6 for an initial court appearance, where he will be advised of the charge against him and of his rights.

When he filed charges July 18, prosecutor Mark Hurlbert said he had both physical and testimonial evidence to prove the case. He said Bryant forced the victim into ``submission'' through physical force but refused to disclose other details.

Hurlbert and defense lawyers want to keep the records of the case sealed, arguing that publicity could affect Bryant's right to a fair trial.

Defense attorneys Mackey and Hal Haddon also have asked Gannett to reconsider an earlier order allowing cameras in the courtroom during Bryant's Aug. 6 initial appearance.

Attorneys for media organizations -- including the Los Angeles Times, Denver Post and NBC -- have argued that many details have been publicized already, some by Bryant and the district attorney. They also contend the public should have the opportunity to determine the veracity of statements made by those involved in the case.

Gannett has already ordered a limit on public comment about the case by attorneys, authorities and others, including Bryant and any witnesses. He said the order was necessary to guarantee a fair trial.

Gannett also warned organizations not to publish or broadcast the name or photograph of any witness, juror, potential juror or the alleged victim and her family on the courthouse grounds. Any organization violating the order could be denied a seat in the courtroom.

Updated on Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 2:42 pm EDT

They mentioned physical trauma around the vaginal area...nothing about any backdoor action though.

#1 LiLStevie3, Jul 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Is that susposed to be funny :rolleyes:

3. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Uhhh, I was just pointing that out, especially given the info posted in the other thread. There was no intended humor whatsoever. If there was, I would have posted a :) or a ;)...:rolleyes:

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Strange timing. Illinois just passed a law that says explicitly that consent can be withdrawn during intercourse. They are the first state to do so, though the California Supreme Court had decided the right was implicit in their current state law.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/07/30/rape.law.ap/index.html

6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

My bad..........sorry. I did not see the othere thread and did not realize you were refering to it. Sorry

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sounds like a convient way to set up a bunch of guys to take a bunch of falls.

Almost one of the ultimate blackmail weapons

BTW HOW THE HELL DO YOU PROVE THAT????

Rocket River

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

videotape it :)

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

how do you prove anything?? it's a he said/she said...and the jury has to figure out who they believe. but there are usually signs of a struggle

10. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

That's ok, I understand...maybe I should have been clearer.

11. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

This thing about withdrawn consent, although on the surface sounds reasonable, is in fact really tough for men, especially young men. When you are in the middle of it, the animal instincts and all the hormones are raging, it takes a lot to stop yourself. How do you expect young men to be so level-headed and reasonable and well-behaved during sex, it's just not physiological.

It also becomes a perfect tool for extortion by women. Get you hot, start making out and then when she asks you to stop she can easily extort the heck out of you. If she knew that she was at risk that the guy may not stop and continue forcefully she would at least think twice about it. Now that she knows that if the guy doesn't stop he could go to jail, the balance of risks is totally shifted.

Even if the woman is not that cuning to start with, shouldn't there be some burden of responsibility on chicks to think twice before getting into it? The reality is that once you start you pretty much are dealing with a force of nature, so isn't it easier to just make better judgement before you start.

Man, this world is getting tougher and tougher on boys. When I watch my 3yr old son play on the playground sometimes I really feel for him, as both me and my wife have to scold him frequently to be more careful and not to be rough. Poor guy is really not intentional and he really makes effort to restrain himself, it just that you can see how his phisical nature is not as polished as girl's. At the same time girls can be so mean verbally but as they don't have this drive for phyisicality, they just rarely get in trouble.

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I was going to bring it up on another thread, but I thought I'd get crucified. Everyone apparently thinks that once the girl says no, at any time, it's rape if the act continues. However, there are times when you're caught in the heat of the moment, or the throes of passion, where you just can't bring yourself to stop. Sex is a primal instinct, not something rational you can stop immediately. The girl definitely has some responsibility: she cannot say "stop" when it's getting hot and heavy if she initially consented to it. I mean, if two people are just making out and she says stop and the guy goes on, that is rape. However, there's a gray area if the girl says stop while they have been going at it for some time.

Don't get me wrong, I feel as sorry for the girl as the next guy. I'm just saying women demand equal treatment, yet they get preferential treatment in matters like this. They ask not to be treated as a weaker sex, but when it comes to matters of this nature, they revert to the "I got dominated" routine. She needs to be responsible for her own actions, plain and simple.

13. affter333

affter333 Member

Total BS, unless you are an animal not a humanbeing.

if the room caught on fire, would you stop immediately?

It's unlikely that the girl said "No,stop." during the intercourse.
    She might be saying it as Kobe ripped her pants off.

either way, any decent humanbeing can stop.

Imaging your parent catch you masturbating and you say
    to yourself "****, my parents are watching, but my animal instinct
    keeps me going"

that's just BS.

14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Maybe so. I do believe that most of us here can say that we would all stop if the girl said no. But Kobe jumped from high school to the NBA straight. He had to mature under the spotlight, especially in LA, causing a lot of pressure. I'm not condoning what he did, but damn, you have to cut him some slack. Sure, he's a professional athlete making lots of money. We all envy him for having fame and lots of money and athletic ability. But he had to put up the clean image for so long, I think he snapped for a moment. The feeling of power, of letting go of something that he was not, overtook the decent humanity in him. Not sure if he did it or not, but it makes sense.

All I was saying in the earlier post was, the girl has responsiblities too.

BTW- masturbation isn't sex.

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

It's not?!?!!?

Death: Oh Sandy, Oh Sandy, Oh...Sandy?

Oh, not again! I'm going to be a virgin forever!

Or am I...

16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Family Guy rules. Man, I want new episodes. :)

17. YoYao

YoYao Member

that is why you can never act like a hero when u r not. true hero comes from inside, ex: myself :D

18. BERSERKER

BERSERKER Member

Lol... If you keep going, then you are truly disturbed.

19. Panda

Panda Member

Just wear earphone, turn on the music as loud as possible and close your eyes next time.

#19 Panda, Aug 1, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2003
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Geez...some self-restraint is a good thing.

But this is beyond the point anyway...in this situation where already hearing that there is physical evidence of bruising...that's a pretty strong indicator of a struggle, I'd say...of course, I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holidy Inn Express last night.