1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kobe Looks Really Bad

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Oct 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. clippy

clippy Member

Good point, good for 6th best on the team behind Odom, Brown, Blake, Barnes, and Gasol. And yet Kobe has a near career-high usage rate (leading the NBA by far). With such good teammates you'd think he'd give the ball to them once in a while.

If Kobe got injured and Shannon Brown got 35mpg, this team wouldn't skip a beat.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lmao you can't be serious right now

3. clippy

clippy Member

Have you actually watched them when Shannon is in the game? The ball runs through the bigs (Gasol & Odom) and the perimeter guys get wide-open looks. When Kobe is in the game the ball stops and he either ends up with the shot or passes it off at the last second.

Also, historically the Lakers have done just as well or better with Kobe out as with him in. I don't think they'd go all the way without him, but in the regular season, I have no doubt he could be out for a long period of time and they would be just fine (probably even better).

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

I feel pretty confident in saying the Lakers would not win a Championship if you take Kobe off of this team and inserted Shannon Brown in his place.

Confident as hell that they wouldn't.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Just read your 2nd paragraph and you said what I said in my response so my bad.

If Kobe was out the whole season starting from the beginning of the season I also feel like the Lakers would not be the best team in the West.

6. clippy

clippy Member

I agree with you. But if you took Kobe off and traded his 25M+/year salary for some combination of young players, they'd be contenders for sure.

7. clippy

clippy Member

They aren't even the best team in the West with Kobe!

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they are still the best in the west b/c of their frontline. they don't play like it now, but they will down the stretch.

kobe will slow down a little bit as the season goes on though like last year. he'll be up and down. however, you can't deny he's playing very well right now.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think they will be when it's all said and done is my point.

10. clippy

clippy Member

I think he's playing very well relative to the rest of the league because he's one of the best players in the league. However, I don't think he is playing very well by his standards nor for the team he has around him. The Lakers have had a very easy schedule-- possibly the easiest 25 games you could have-- and are actually below expectation despite their decent record. The games they have lost have been games when Kobe has come in and chucked away (he's done this in many games they have won too, including last night's ridiculous stat pad when he launched four or five 25+ foot threes down the stretch of a blowout). I'm sure you guys watched the game against Houston where Kobe singlehandedly blew it for the Lakers through his combination of horrible shot selection and garbage defense. This is fairly standard, but the media won't clue you in on it because he (and LeBron, and Wade, etc) is part of their "must see TV lineup".

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

kobe has been playing like this for a while now. 26-28 points on 44-45% shooting. so he's playing to his level.

the lakers lost a few games b/c they lost focus and forgot about pau gasol. now gasol is getting his touches again and they're fine.

the difference on that team is pau. if he gets his 15-17 shots a game, the lakers will be tough to beat.

12. clippy

clippy Member

No doubt Pau is the most important player on that team and needs to get the ball. But Kobe hasn't gotten the memo. Luckily for the Lakers, they hit a run of terrible teams to help them work this out. We'll see if it made a difference come Christmas, when they finally play a good team.

13. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Lakers are having an easy schedule early every year, Kobe's playing like this every year, yet they've won the last 2 championships. Kobe doesn't play to have best efficiency, he plays to win championships.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you have had this stupid opinion for more than 2 years in a row already. That's nothing to be proud of being an idiot year in year out.

14. clippy

clippy Member

Your problem, likely due to your years of propaganda-inspired programming, is that you think way too black & white. I could put a team of ballhogs against a team of fifth graders that play the right way and say, "the ballhogs won, so they are obviously doing it right." Kobe wins because he has always had stacked teams. When he is out, the team plays just as well or better as when he is in-- this cannot be denied because the numbers back it up. If he simply deferred and played inside-out ball, the Lakers would have a much easier time. They may win anyway because they are stacked, but they would most assuredly win if he'd just let Pau get his first (aka, let Kobe be the sidekick he's so good at being).

15. goodbug

Haha, too bad Kobe didn't win as the sidekick that you have been desperately trying to brainwash yourself. You simply can't change the history. You can keep on putting your head in the sand and pretending all these never happened though.

16. clippy

clippy Member

He won the 1st three as the sidekick, 2009 as the main guy, last year as sidekick (although if "history" wants to call him the main guy then, that's ok w/ me; observation and numbers show otherwise). The 1st three championships were much more dominant than the last two, because Kobe is better as a Robin than a Batman.

This year, it ends up being Lakers-Heat (a strong possibility), then Kobe had better defer to Gasol & Bynum because that is where the Lakers' advantage is. If he tries to play hero again so he can get another MVP, they'll struggle. The question is if his teammates can bail him out again.

You perceive this as hate, but it is just common sense. This year's Lakers and the 2000-2003 Lakers have the same advantage: in the front court. Kobe is a good swingman but there are lots of good swingmen (the Heat have two better than him). No one can match the Lakers' formidable front line.. just like in 2000.

17. goodbug

If Lakers win it all, it's because they have a stacked team, if they don't, it's because Kobe ruins the stacked team. Right, you always win. Then why disappear for a few weeks after finals? To buy some time for the thread containing your stupid prediction to sink?

18. clippy

clippy Member

I disappeared because .. uh, there was no basketball going on?

BTW, go ahead and bump my "prediction". I believe it was, "If the Celtics win this, it has to be in 6 because no way will Joey Crawford let them win in LA". I think that's actually pretty accurate.