1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant still trying to recruit Rajon Rondo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2015/01/celtics_no_strangers_to_change

2. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Game. Set. Cuban.

Great to see this. I doubt Rondo stays in Dallas. I do expect him going to the city of Angels - especially since Kobe Buss is recruiting.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No way,” Bryant said. “I’m not done. I’m not stopping until he signs an extension.

Man, that is about as damning as a quote can be wrt tampering.

#3 heypartner, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Git er done Kobe!!!! LOLOLOLOL Everything the Mavs invested in this dude!! DO IT KOBE!!

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't know how the rule is actually stated, but can it be collusion if a player is is talking to another player? I know the GM, owner or anyone from the front office isn't allowed to before a certain time but I thought players would be able to without any problem.

Look at 2010 when Lebron and Bosh joined the Dwyane Wade and the Heat. Everyone knew that they had been talking about since the 2008 Olympics.

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

This truly good news...

mavs loose him or pay premium

And. between Kobe and Rondo they can play 30+ games a year together for the Lakers when both healthy

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The Lakers' plan is to start from scratch after Kobe is gone. I can't see them going after a nearly 30 year old Rondo just so they can win 29 games next year instead of 24 and then have to deal with a declining, flawed, max player not named Kobe Bryant for the 2016-2017 season and beyond.

They need to acquire young assets and start developing them in hopes that they can put them around a few superstars should the Lakers' mystique still attract free agents once Kobe is out of the picture. If that doesn't pan out then they can do it like everyone else does and rebuild through the draft and hope they get a Tim Duncan.

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I've never rooted hard for the Lakers and Kobe until this...please for the love of God Rondo, go to LA! I hope the Mavs get effed over and have to pay the max.

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Excellent news.

You know Kobe always gets what he wants.

10. Awesome

Awesome Member

Is this not tampering?

Didn't they try to investigate Kevin Love over some stuff even less than this just a few months ago?

11. heypartner

Like that wouldn't have major loopholes for GMs to exploit.

It is clearly stated that no representative of a team can talk to signed players wrt recruiting. No one.

Drake was recently fined $25k by the NBA for "recruiting" Durant at a concert, and Drake isn't even a player for the Raptors, just a figurehead "Team Ambassador"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11338909/toronto-raptors-fined-25000-drake-concert-comments

His statement is definite tampering, unless Kobe can convince the NBA office that he never acted on his words...that his quote is in jest.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

One day Kobe is talking about the thought of retiring after the season
    One day Kobe is talking about retiring after his contract
    One day Kobe is talking about recruiting potential free agents

Got one foot out the door.

Home games only?
    Every 5th game?

13. nemac

nemac Member

Collusion by Big 3? N.B.A. Says Not Likely
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/sports/basketball/13nba.html?_r=0

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Its not that players are allowed to do it, its just damn near impossible to prove that players did it.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rondo will sign with the Lakers when Kobe finally retires

16. heypartner

Stern clearly states the CBA includes Player-to-Player Tampering. What he says is the rules are ambiguous by design and the owners need clarity on what is just dream talk to what is active recruiting/collusion.

If Wade, Lebron and Bosh discussed aligning their contract negotiations to get each of them signed under the cap on one team, and how to plan the order of events/signings... that is collusion.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

How is it tampering to try to persuade a guy to sign with you AFTER his contract with another team expires? The man will be a free agent. No contract to be tampered with.

18. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

The Kobe a gm? Now a gm no one wants to play for.

19. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

Because one of the advantages of having the player on your roster is supposed to be exclusive rights to negotiating a contract (extension) prior to free-agency.

Kobe is probably in a gray area here. I don't think it is tampering but the league probably sent him a gentle reminder of the rules.

20. heypartner

Do you agree with the rule that Morey cannot talk to any currently signed players to begin recruiting before July 1st?

If you do, the same rule applies to all representatives of the team.

I always viewed it as it is a matter of respect to teams. It can only be a distraction to the team for recruiting to be allowed throughout the year. You must do it in the Summer, only. It's the same as the NFL rule that you can't talk to coaches while they are still in the playoffs.