1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe Bryant becomes NBA’s all-time leader in missed shots

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Nov 11, 2014.

1. bilease

bilease Member

He's just doing it on purpose to get attention for himself and the show, which at the end of the day gets him paid. Whenever he says something stupid (which is the case quite often) he doesnt heven have courage to stand up for himself and always finds excuses like "I like the dude, my criticism is just supposed to motivate and help him". Yeah, sure. At least stand up for your own opinion, as stupid as it might me.

I understand that a lot here dont like Mark Cuban, but this video is great nonetheless:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SAkVnlA9CJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But, Kobe is a guard, and they generally have lower percentages than big men. He's also taking more three-pointers than big men (except Dirk, probably), which are lower percentage but more worthwhile. So, comparing ranks is still a problematic exercise. A much simpler and more scientific way to get at his chuckerness is the TS% that people have already quoted here. He's a high usage player that has a solid TS%. Sounds good to me. All-time records are just noise. Kobe was an all-time great; I don't see the point of criticizing his play. The problem with him is his egomania and how he has sabotaged a few teams because he's such a jerk.

3. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

You guys are insane.

All those on the top 5 in missed shots are Hall-of-Famers. BTW, Kobe likely will pass Jordan in career scoring by next All-Star game.

I'm not even a Kobe fan, but please give the guy due credit. :rolleyes:

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Congrats Kobe. From the bottom of my ass.

5. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I give him credit hes one of the greatest players in NBA history.

6. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Given parsons new rate of shooting, he's coming for Kobe!

7. i3artow i3aller

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OiDMdbAWbPF/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The general consensus on Kobe seems to have ebbed and flowed during his career quite a bit. First he was the beloved heir to Michael Jordan, a shooting guard who scores at will but whose desire to win on both ends of the floor supersedes the negatives. Then Colorado turned him into the of the most hated men around and post-Shaq when the Lakers drifted into mediocrity, Kobe was a soulless gunner who only looked out for himself even though, realistically, the only alternative was letting Smush Parker and Kwame Brown get more touches. Somewhere along the way, the narrative changed again and Kobe became less of a possible rapist and more of a grizzled veteran whose honesty and quotability off the court made him a guy the Internet came to begrudgingly respect and maybe kind of like more than they should. The missed shot record is probably the best reflection of his career he could hope for. All along, Kobe hasn’t been one of the dudes to worry about his “brand” or advanced metrics as much as doing what he thinks he’s best at. And to him, that’s shooting the **** out of the ball with precious little regard for others, racking up a PER lower than illustrious names like Kelly Olynyk and Chris Kaman so far this season in the process.

There’s a metaphor for life here somewhere between the lines. Kobe never worried about the headlines, and never sweated the public consensus about him. Kobe is Kobe, for better or worse, and though he may not one day own the NBA points record, maybe the missed shots record is a better reflection of who he is: A player who did his own thing every step of the way and carved out one of the most memorable and successful careers in NBA history in the process.

So for that, Kobe, I salute you.
    [​IMG]

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Most people, even those who dislike him (myself included) would not deny the fact that Kobe is among one of the all time greats. In that, you are right that the seemingly dubious record of Most Missed Shots is actually a testament of his greatness (or at least his longevity).

But that is also Kobe's bane. When he is compared to those all time greats, especially the inevitable to Michael Jordan (of which he himself seems to desire), he is falling short.

So compared to the average players, Kobe is clearly superior. Compared to the all time greats, he is not as great as his ego allows.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

10. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol being a sidekick for Gasol in 09/10? Please stop embarrassing yourself.

And yeah, averaging 29/7/6 for the 2001 playoffs is nothing

11. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Chucking festival starts again. SMH.

He hit 3 straight 3pts and then all the sudden he though he was hot and started chucking again.

Kobe loved to take those bad shots. The problem is he used to hit those when he was young. He was not young anymore.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

2009-10

Gasol- .220 win shares, 120 ORtg, 102 DRtg

Kobe- .160 win shares, 109 Ortg, 103 Drtg

Kobe just shot more to make it "look" like he was better during the Gasol years.

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Lol why you mad

14. bilease

bilease Member

Not just during the Gasol years, he has always done it and will continue to do so. Currently 10-28 and scored 31 points. "Damn Kobe is so good, still averaging 25+ ppg, greatest player ever!". Actually, not impressed at all. A little above 30 shooting percentage and gets his points up by taking every shot he can? Please, any NBA player could do that. Difference is not everyone only cares about himself and where he stands in the all time scoring list.

And if he continues like that he will also get the first place in "games played with more than 20 misses" until next year.

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Geeeeeeeeeeeeze. 28 shots and 8 FT's to get 33 points.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yep, Cuban is badass.

17. kcplayoffs

kcplayoffs Contributing Member

guy's got 44 tonight vs warriors! probably the only great game from him in late career.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Will he get injured after passing Jordan?

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

He might request a tad too Washington :p

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member