1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knowing what we know, would you want Artest on your team?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by codell, Nov 22, 2004.

?

Would you trade for Artest?

1. Yes, I'd trade for him and pay a premium to get him

34 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Yes, I'd trade for him, but would only pay pennies on the dollar

56 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. No, I wouldn't trade for him under any circumstances

36 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. No, I don't want to see him on my team or any other

26 vote(s)
    16.6%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

Im going to preface this poll and my response with the following, because I have obviously been very vocal about this whole incident:

I am old school NBA in that, while I am all for players being individuals with personality, I am a bigger fan of the game rather than any indivdual player. That being said, I have become very disallusioned with the NBA the past few seasons. I hate that the zone defense has essentially seemed to eliminate alot of offensive creativity and I hate that the NBA keeps changing the rules to mask and/or attempt to fix the perceived problems with the league. Most imporantly, I hate that so many individuals are taking away from the few things left that are still good in the NBA.

The last thing this league needs right now is a black eye and negative attention. Instead of talking about how fun the offenses of Dallas, Phoenix and Sacramento are to watch, we once again are talking about a guys like Artest.

I hate what the NBA is becoming. While I stop short of admitting a full blown bias, I can admit that I don't like Arest, just like I have never liked JR Rider, Raseed Wallace, Dennis Rodman and Vernon Maxwell (which is hard for me to say since I am a hardcore Rockets fan). I just have a hard time rooting for someone who does well on the court with their play, when they have such a bad attitude on the court or away from it. Im past the point in my life where I look at athletes as heros, but still find great solace in rooting for someone to do well, not only because they help my team, but because they are a good person who deserves the success and admiration that they otherwise wouldn't receive if their team was losing.

The bottom line with me is, and overall, I feel its just sad that the NBA has to now concentrate their efforts on controling individual behavior, rather than fixing the problems that are making the NBA an unwatchable product.

Now, onto Artest. I believe in 2nd chances, and I even believe in 3rd, 4th and 5th chances. But do I want him on my team?

I say no. Before Friday night, I might have taken a flyer on him for pennies on the dollar, and a heavily incentive laden contract to where his antics wouldn't hurt the team's wiggle room, as far as roster spots, even if he hurt the team's on the court peformance (i.e. make it to wear you could discard him without taking a huge loss money wise or personnel wise).

First, AFTER Friday night, I feel the guy is just too much of a liability. His actions (and yes, the fans deserve blame, but Artest's lack of self control was the ignitor of the riot) have now proven they have the ability to affect the on the court peformance of his teamates, as well as their salaries.

Second, I feel its hard to build and maintain team chemistry you don't know, day to day, if he is going to be able to play the next game. After this incident, Artest will have the shortest leash of all time and that leash, fair or not, is going to have a demonstrative affect on how he plays the game. The next time Artest loses it, and IMO, thats when and not if, then the NBA is going to come down even harder on him and will continue to do so until he stops with his antics or finds the ability to control himself like the rest of the NBA.

I keep wondering how Pacer fans will feel (once they get over the urge to blame Wallace for Artest going into the stands)?

If he was on the Rockets, and he got suspended for the season, and T-Mac and JJ got suspended for 1/3 of the season, would we be willing to welcome him back with open arms, like some of us are willing to welcome him in a trade? The grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

Anyway, I'd rather lose with good people on the court, than win with bad ones. Winning isn't everything to me, feeling good about the people I root for, win or lose, is.

So to answer my own poll, I say no. I don't touch him with a ten foot poll. Artest is a great player, and forgetting about his antics, he is fun to watch (I like good man to man defense). His whole act isn't though.

He deserves a 6th chance or 7th chance, I just hope thats not with my team.

#1 codell, Nov 22, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  2. codell

Oh and I am reminded of the time that San Antonio gave away Dennis Rodman for essentially nothing (I believe it was Will Perdue) because they finally tired of his antics.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You just did :p.

To answer your question, it is really hard. As a player, I think he would be perfect for the Rockets. As a person, he is obviously crazy.

I'm a risk-taker in general, so in the end, I would probably trade for him if he can be had cheap (in other words, I'd basically trade any player other than Yao and T-Mac for him).

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I went the pennies-on-the-dollar route... but only with an incentive-laden contract that wouldn't bury us in the event that he's not on the court.

(That's another question: how do the contracts of suspended players-- even if they are not getting paid-- count against the Cap?)

I hated to see the Rockets let Eddie Griffin go and I wouldn't mind seeing them steal Artest away from Indiana.

Maybe the Rockets could become the Oakland Raiders of the NBA? Since the championship seasons, we seem to be a team without an identity....

NOTE: Good poll, codell, the first four responses have generated four distinct answers!

5. codell

Thanks. I figured as much, and while I may disagree with 2 or 3 of the options, every NBA fan is different and we all have different ways of how and why we root for and against who we do.

I guess I am just more curious to see if im the minority as far as not wanting my team to have anything to do with a player like that. The thing is, as long as Artest is on my team, I'd root for him, because I always place the team above any one player, whether I like them or not.

6. codell

Define cheap. I mean, if you go to the Pacers, and say "we'll give up anyone besides Yao and T-Mac", then their eyes bug out and theyll ask for two starters (JJ and Mo or Howard + someone of the bench like Lue or Sura).

Would you give up that much, or just say "you can have Lue and Reece Gains and thats it"?

And I am assuming you want to make a deal because you think the Rockets could control him, no? If so, what makes you think the Rockets could control him better than the Pacers?

Or, are you just assesing risk and feel that the good things he brings will far outweigh any potential bad things?

7. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

codell: Regarding the trade, do you mean in the offseason after his ban is over?

I don't know if the salaries match, but if it was basically JJ for Artest, or Mo for Artest, or Howard for Artest in the offseason, and pending an interview with him to see if his heart is still in basketball after all this, and he promises to behave, I'd definitely do it. With JVG this will prob. never happen, but I also think risks need to be taken. Unless we have a dramatic overhaul in personel with trades (which will be hard given our overpaid and aging roster), its highly unlikely that we'll contend for anything soon. Artest changes everything, and as a player, I think he's that good.

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

There is no way I would want him on my team. There is something to be said about character, and he doesnt have any.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I've kept pretty quite here about this...but my feelings about him are that he isnt a good person...and I want good guys on the team I root for.

So, no matter how good of a player he is...I want nothing to do with him.
    Surely there are other good defenders at that position that canbe pursued...

10. codell

saitou,

1) If Artest promised to behave, how seriously would you take him? Wouldn't that be the 5th or 6th time he will have promised to behave?

2) "Artest changes everything, and as a player, I think he's that good." - He changes everything alright and while he may be that good, he has potential to be that bad.

If you trade for him, and have to give up some good role players to do so, and he gets suspended again, is that trade still worth it?

If it wasn't, the was it reasonable to assume that he might get suspended again before you made the trade?

All about risk assesment here.

11. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I've got to agree completely with that. Houston has been blessed with classy players over the years, and I hope it stays that way.

12. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

1) Obviously the trade won't be solely based on his word. The interview would be more like those crappy steering wheel clamps you put on your car. Easily broken, but it's one of the few things in your power that you can do to minimise risk.

2) Yup, he'll probably get suspended again, but I think that something as big as this won't happen again. Tech fouls, and maybe minor on the court fights, but hopefully nothing too major. For minor suspensions, at the cost of either JJ, Mo or Jhow, I think he is still worth it. If it's something as big as what happened at the Palace, than obviously we'd be the losers of the trade. That's where the risk comes in, but a risk I'd be willing to take.

13. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Another point I'd like to make is that before just weeks before, there was talk of Peja for Artest inspite of his past history. I'm sure the Kings realised they were going to get some of his baggage, and that he'd probably be missing with suspensions at times during the season; even with that in mind they were still considering trading Peja (yes Peja was unhappy, but there are other stars like vince and baron davis around the league who want out). This incident obviously doesn't make artest worth Peja, but for JJ, i think so.

On the character issues, I honestly don't know. Read stories about him getting a part time job when he was playing for chicago to support his family etc. I don't know if he's a bad person, but he certainly is mentally unstable. (I think he's on medication as well) Comes with the package I guesss.... And last season he showed that he can keep it together.

14. codell

The thing is, Artest is on a short leash now, and his suspensions, even for minor infractions like fighting or habitual flagrant fouling, are going to be longer than they would for a normal player (just like a penalty for 3rd time DUI offender would be worse than a penalty for a 1st time DUI offender). Because of that, the aspect of what make Artest great as a player are going to be tempered. And thats a huge key for me.

The NBA will keep slapping him down, hard, until he finally stops.

15. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

You make a good point.

16. pacertom

pacertom Member

As a Pacer fan, I say please take him.

I wanted Peja for him.

After he wanted time off to promote his rap album, I'd have settled for Glenn Robinson.

Gee, now I'd take Scott Padgett.

:(

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If we're playing NBA 2k5, he'd be a great addition. Unfortuanately there's still that difference between Playstation and the real world.

How great would it be if they did at that in though? Whistle blows, and you end up with a fight on the court and ejections that're out of your control. Or during your weekly schedule, you get informed that a player has been arrested for trying to take a XXX dancer home. Madden could have a field day with TO.

Evan

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Tom, just curious, do u think the pacers will tank the season? Right now they don't really have to try and throw away games... but after JO and jackson come back, and they find themselves in a hole, do you think they'd tank on purpose (maybe at away games) to get a good lotto pick?

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Imagine the League's response if this had happened with Rodman and the Bulls back in the day. It's sadly easy to picture it, and I'm certain Stern would have done the exact same thing.

Evan

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Evidently Artest had mentioned to Carlisle an interest in retiring. Of course he probably came back the next day and took it back (this was all prior to the melee, of course).

Being interviewed a week ago, sitting in his vehicle, leaning out the window, answering reporters' questions while holding a copy of the CD for all the world to see.....

Head case? Would that it were so.