1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 6, 2020.

?

Knowing what we know now, would you still make the Russ trade?

1. Yes

62.2%
  2. No

37.8%
  1. fattz

fattz Member

Morey way over paying Paul is where the problem started. Then when the reality Paul was never going to out play or even live up to his contract panic set it. Westbrook’s bloated contact was about the only move doable at the time. Coach then puts new life into Westbrook by making a system change that plays to RW strengths AND Harden play actually gets better to accommodate RW all while Morey reloads the roster to fit the new system for RW. This trade has been a TEAM effort not just Westbrook.

kjayp, s3ts and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm no Dr but I have had a couple quad strains - standing up is painful and even a mild one can take weeks to really heal as just standing and walking can stress it.

I have a two friends , one a sports doctor and the other a personal trainer of professional athletes - their opinions pretty much coincide that the original injury was probably a grade 1 but he returned too soon and reaggravated it - both said they expect 10 days to two weeks but if that reaggravation did further damage , it could be significantly longer ... but If it was a severe strain , from my own experience , I don't think he'd be moving around as well as he appeared to be on the sidelines.

This team can beat OKC without him ( Harden had an off night and EG was 6-20 & 0-10 from 3 and they won), I just hope he's 100% for the second round and beyond , they need him for either LA or Portland. Hell , if not for the refs giving LA so many favorable calls , I think Portland might be the tougher matchup.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Paul’s self righteous attitude has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

s3ts, Corrosion, fattz and 2 others like this.
  4. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Hey man, you've been quite lately, what gives!? Such a punk ass b****...lol

5. Fefo

Fefo Member

We all know CP3 is a great player, but i would still do the trade , and the main reason, is not because Russ is great or a better player or whatever.
    The main reason ill do the trade, is because, cp3 never really came through for us ( or anybody to be honest). When we needed him the most, he either got injured or outplayed. This may happen to Russ too, but for now, i got to look forward and believe that things would be different.
    I dont know if hes just been unlucky or he passes the ball when he should shoot or what it is, but hes got undeniable great teams, and he is clutch, yet, he has never advanced far in the playoffs.
    Russ to me is a stat padder, but he is been to the finals and in this team, he has played team ball, not statball, so im happy with him being a rocket and i hope he can help this team get a chip

s3ts likes this.
  6. s3ts

s3ts Member

Interesting point here.

Russ + KD with a pretty loaded roster was able to lead a 3-1 series against a 73-win GSW team. I don't know that they would've won a chip, but they damn sure could've gone to the finals.

CP + Harden did 3-2 against GSW and then lost 2 straight. But this GSW team did have KD on that roster.

There's an evolution of Russ + Harden that's been hard to dismiss. They both look very mature to me, and the team looks a lot more in sync than in the previous years.

The only other factor here is the COVID bubble in Orlando, I think this is also in Rocket's favor.

D-rock likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

MDA/Harden Rockets and Russ-KD Thunder only teams to put fear of gawd in the Hamptons 5.

Truth.

s3ts likes this.
  8. Dash

Dash Member

Anyone wanna change their vote now?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Even if they win game 7, you gotta be brain dead to say "Yes, I'd still make this trade." Brain dead.

No offense but apparently 133 voters/68.6% are.

kjayp, YOLO and Jimmy Chase like this.
  10. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

this doesn't make any sense. it was harden-paul (GTFOH with the antoni mention because paul carried us in those playoffs when james was faltering.

also, it can't be russ-kd against the hamptons 5 when GSW only became the hamptons 5 after kd joined them.

11. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

in the end, Russ puts you over the top to put games out of reach in ways that cp3 physically can't. But cp is superior at decision making in the clutch, as evidenced throughout all of his career (besides his key turnover ironically against russ that one year with the clips). Russ can push a close game out of reach of the other team but has shown his late game situations limit his value (forcing the issue against defenses expecting it), while cp may not have it in him to cover crazy deficits but you can trust him when it's close and he's healthy.

It's just like this series. Rockets will either win big in a blowout in game 7 or okc will win a nail biter by a few points.

As big a fan as I am of cp3 though, i think it's unfair to judge Russ for these past 2 games. It's obvious he's not his usual self. All of his passing turnovers were abnormally off target. He may not hit it exactly with his passes, but tonight was another level. His timing is just off in general right now.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm still under the impression of game 6. The only reason to make the trade would be that Harden and Paul weren't getting along. In terms of who the better player is between Paul and Westbrook, I'd always take Paul in the clutch.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I mean....

Obviously the trade was a disaster.

Anyone who is more than a casual knew this right the very first minute. We have set ourselves up for the ultimate humilation.

But lets be honest, Tilman deserves it.

YOLO and Jimmy Chase like this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So far, it's still a no. But one year may be too soon to evaluate, even if OKC wins Wednesday. I think you gotta evaluate after three years (end of CP3s contract).

15. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Absolutely NOT. The Rockets won 65 games in 2017-2018 and lost in Game 7 of the WCF.
    2018-2019 They played the Warriors again and well...Steph Curry happened in the second half of Game 6.

2019-2020 was supposed to be the year to go for it. The Warriors lost KD and you had a roster that was experienced and battle tested. But nope....trade Chris Paul for an even more bloated contract and then get rid of everyone over 6-8 (Shout out to Tyson Chandler for still gettin them checks).

Just go ahead a lose Wednesday. This organization is treading water. I see why Daryl Morey wanted Jimmy Butler so badly. Now that's a DOG who welcomes the big moments.

Oh... and start Danuel House on Wednesday and bring Eric *arms in the air in disbelief and wont get back on defense because i think i got fouled every time* Gordon off the bench.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I am, and we should have all been

#TeamCP3

CP3 is just really, really good. WB is simply a hot mess half the time, he truly is half amazing, half Corey Brewer.

I haven't seen a late playoff game sabotage job this awful since Lin vs the Blazers, @tinman.

jordnnnn likes this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Y’all are forgetting one giant thing. Harden did not want to play with CP3 anymore. CP called him out. It was done from there.

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Absoffffuuuuccckkiinglutely not.

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I admire Chris Paul. He's clever and clutch. But spend some time watching him on offense when he doesn't have the ball, and watching him on defense when he's not guarding the ball. Much of the time, he's not even trying.

I can't defend Westbrook's performance tonight, when he had the ball. But his activity and contributions off the ball are generally much, much better.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

He’s been great in the regular season, though. This might have been a different series if Russ didn’t get injured.