1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knight Dropped, Strickland signed for 1 yr deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gummi Clutch, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Is Bob Cousey available? He should be a free agent :D

2. jherveymo

jherveymo Contributing Member

The problem is that Rod's a point guard. Big guys can stick around as long as they can hold their arms up and get a board or two. Age is not so kind to guards. Strickland had his last good year around 2000 or 2001. Wish we had picked him up instead of Pippen in '98.

Deke has been even better than I expected, though.

#82 jherveymo, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  3. solid

solid Contributing Member

That is hilarious!

Another program note, the Rockets will be showing clips from the movie "The Way We Were" during the halftime of the next home game. Game video of old Knicks players will be sprinkled through the presentation. Bring a tissue.

4. WNBA

WNBA Member

This must be a joke!

5. solid

This is more fun than watching the last two games for sure!

And Willis25, I laughed out loud for a long time. That just broke me up.

6. solid

I went back to the second page:D :D :D :D :D I can't stop! This whole thread is just breaking me up. I was laughing so hard that my wife came in to see what was going on. Seriously funny!

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This is not ESPN2k5 or NBALive. I hope you know this.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you seem to have missed my point.

None of us know what Strickland will bring to the team...you can look at his stast from his last season....but even that wont tell the whole story.

Using Deke again for an example....

When news broke we were getting him....the main rub everyone seemed to have with him was that his stats were crap last year...and he was tooo old...no more gas in the tank ws the common saying...correct?

Well....has or has not Deke proved everyone wrong at this point in the season?

He isnt just standing there with his arms up grabbing rebounds and blocking shots with his reputation from 5 years ago...he is running the court(for quite a while in games that Yao is in early foul trouble)...he is defending the paint better than anyone else we have....he is stayiong in front of quickl athletic big men....he is even hitting some shots when needed....

now...the reason why i brought this up is that if Deke can come in and show that he still has what it takes to contribute even tho most had written him off before he even stepped foot on the court....dont you think maybe we shoudnt be so quick to condemn other players?

If he comes in and plays like a old wshed up PG...then fine...it was a mistake....but if he comes in and contributes.....dont you think it would make the doubters look mighty stupid for not even giving him a chance?
    His main strength(Strickland's) is his smarts...he is and has always been a very effective PG...effective PGs are normally that way cause they have the bball IQ and vision to play the right way....if they have tons of physical skills....then that is a bonus...and is what seperates the Avery Johnsons of this world from the Steve Nashes...their physical gifts...both players are very smart in knowing what to do on the floor....and that doesnt diminish with age.

Will he be slowerr as he gets older...of course....but you dont forget how to play the game...as long as you can get up and down the court and get the other players involved...then it doesnt matter if you cant quite elevate like you used to........

Even a old PG with good court skills is better than no point whcih is what we will have when Sura goes down....

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

How many former Kniciks on the team under JVG?

Deke, Spoon, MJ, AB(even though never made it, still a knick cast off), Ward, now Rod.

I say not too balatant.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Here is another guy that has real long eventful career over 20 years.

[​IMG]

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't know, but when Rod Strickland was playing for the Knicks, Rick Pitino was their coach, Pat Riley was coaching the Lakers, and Van Gundy was a lowly first year assistant coach at Rutgers.

13. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Think the Rox could use the talents of a 36, soon-to-be 37-year old, 6-foot-5 swingman? Maybe I can leave Florida and head west.....:rolleyes:

Actually, I think this, despite the fact Rod is Methsulah's own point guard, will actually help the team. Since we traded away Franchise, play at the point has been awful. Rod, even at 38, might be a big improvement.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I do not know what Manning is doing in this but I love his game. He is a first ballot hall of famer even though he cannot beat the Pats......yet. But then again I do not know why you brought him up. Please clue me in.

My point in this thread is that Strickland is just an insurance guy. Lets see how he does first before we start spewing irking snide remarks. These guys (Ward, Strickland, Barret, Bowen, Padget, etc) will most likely not be here next season. This is just a stop-gap measure for this season. We are not supposed to win it all this year (at least that is not the expected end for this season) - so if we make the playoffs and maybe win a series we are on course. So why the worries?

15. solid

They got serious again, it was soooo fun for awhile. I needed that. Very therapeutic.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Um....he cut carbs, got in some work with the medicine ball....uh...hold on, I'll think of something here.....

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

I meant Ron Jeremy

18. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

man Rox getting older and older

19. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I guess being the oldest team in the league is not enough, we are shooting for oldest team of all time. That will be in the record book! ;)

20. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

I wish someday JVG can run the PG himself, since he know his own offence and defence plans better than anyone.