1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks working on S&T deal with Rockets for Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Nov 25, 2020.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It doesnt change their cap space though. All that matters is Rivers starting salary which I believe is just under $3m. That number and their cap space are the same if they outright sign him or trade for him.

D-rock likes this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Wait a second, can we even do a sign and trade if we're hard capped? Wouldn't we not be able to do the sign part since we can only sign minimum contracts now even if were to trade him instantly? Unless some of our signings haven't been made official yet and they'll get this done first.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Omari is a stretch big so would be a nice fit on court as well as financially.

Nice find man!

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Good idea, just go ahead and throw in WB to that deal.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I meant if NYK have another deal to take in salary so have to send salary out per @Spooner .

Why else would a team willingly give up assets like picks/players and/or cash?

SnT has to benefit Knicks somehow.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Rockets have his early bird rights and can sign him for more money .... It's possible he goes elsewhere if they don't do the S&T.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  7. fattz

fattz Member

Look at Mr Stone, seems to be making some good chicken salad. Out of all this...

8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

No stone unturned?

getting an asset out of rivers leaving would be amazing even if it’s just a SRP

don grahamleone, Deckard and fattz like this.
  9. aelliott

This doesnt make sense to me if I'm understanding the proposed deal.

There's a few things wrong with it.

1) if a team is under the cap then their exceptions count against their total cap unless they are renounced. The Knicks can't have $18m in cap room and still retain their exceptions.

2)Even if they could retain an exception, using one doesnt give you additional cap space. An exception doesnt keep salary from counting against the cap. It simply allows you to exceed the cap. That only comes into play if a team is going to exceed the cap.

3) what are the knicks getting as compensation for eating $27m of Batum's salary? I believe that the Knicks need to spend $7m to get to the NBA floor salary. Why take on an extra $20m.

Bima can correct me if I'm missing something but I don't believe this works at all.

Vivi, jch1911, Spooner and 3 others like this.
  10. aelliott

They've got $18m in cap space. They can cover any amount up to that without sending anything out.

don grahamleone, malakas and D-rock like this.
  11. aelliott

The Knicks have $18m in cap space. They can outright sign Rivers for up to that amount.

They don't need the Rockets to sign him.

don grahamleone, malakas and D-rock like this.
  12. WiltTheStilt13

Well, I would certainly take a Austin Rivers Mitchell Robinson swap :)

tc0330 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Unless they are also taking in Batum's 27M.

Must be getting at least 1 FRP to be facillitator between Hornets and Celtics SnT for Hayward.

14. aelliott

I believe that you're thinking about the rule that prevents teams from receiving a player in a SnT. This would be going the opposite direction. We'd be sending the SnT player out.

We have no restriction on the any salaries other than our total salary can't exceed $139m

jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  15. aelliott

They are eating $20m in salary for a FRP?

jch1911, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

At least a FRP, more than likely more than that.

No sources just speculating of course.

Otherwise it makes no sense for Knicks to give us anything in a SnT because they can absorb Rivers 5M easily in their 18M cap space.

jch1911 likes this.
  17. alethios

alethios Member

This was an interesting side note about Aaron Brooks in OP's link:

Notes & quotes: The Knicks are expected to complete a sign-and-trade deal with Houston to facilitate the addition of Austin Rivers . . . In addition to Darren Erman who was added Tuesday, the Knicks made official the rest of coach Tom Thibodeau’s staff, adding long-time NBA guard Aaron Brooks as a two-way liaison, strength coach Richard Williams, advance scout and assistant coach Larry Greer and scouts Reggie Johnson and TJ Zanin. They also added assistant video coordinators Ike Azotam, Christopher Santo and Gabriel Snider. Brooks played for Thibodeau and was a client of Rose when Rose was an agent.

don grahamleone, Tha TC and D-rock like this.
  18. aelliott

That's my point. I don't see any reason for NY to do a SnT. It doesnt create cap space for them. Rivers will count $2.8m no matter how he is acquired.

D-rock likes this.
  19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

No I mean that our salary would exceed $139m for the 2 seconds before we trade Rivers to the Knicks. Wouldn't that be against the rules? We have to sign him BEFORE we trade him.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

#60 D-rock, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    don grahamleone and tc0330 like this.