1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Knicks' Walsh Meets McGrady's Agent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly. New York is the ideal location for McGrady as a player in my opinion. There could be the possibility of a 3-way trade as you suggested, or many teams that would want T-Mac simply for the expiring contract could consider flipping him to NY for the same expirings + some motivation to do the deal. Also, NY is a possible location after a potential buyout (by the Rockets or some other team that trades for T-Mac).

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Uh...it was traded to them. You obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Trade doesn't work.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

jevon3012 is right, except that the rule is that you can't trade successive first round draft picks (i.e., two years in a row). Yes, the Utah Jazz own the Knicks' unprotected first round pick (from a trade originally made with Phoenix back in 2004). Since the 2010 pick has been traded, the Knicks cannot trade their 2011 first rounder until AFTER their 2010 pick is made in this June's draft. So, the earliest first round pick that New York can currently trade is their 2012 pick.

Actually, I think the Knicks provide a good "back-stop" for the Rockets if no other viable McGrady trade alternatives present themselves before February 18.

First of all, the Knicks are one of the few teams in the NBA who won't mind spending a ton of money and taking on additional salary, as long as that salary does not eat into their 2010 cap space.

Second, the Knicks have a bunch of expiring contracts (including several sizeable ones) that can be received by the Rockets without having to take back long-term deals and/or 6-7 players to add up to McGrady's large salary.

Third, among those expiring contracts is Cuttino Mobley's $9.5M expiring contract, 80% of which is covered by insurance. There are still some hurdles that need to cleared with the league regarding whether Mobley (who has already unofficially retired) can be traded this year along with the insurance benefits, but those will be cleared up before the February trade deadline.

So, with that said, IF the Rockets can find no other takers for McGrady who will give up a current/future/former (but still very good) All-Star, a trade with the Knicks might be preferable to letting his deal expire or even a buyout. Something like this:

Tracy McGrady and Brian Cook
    for
    Cuttino Mobley, Larry Hughes and a future pick

This trade would involve four players who aren't currently part of their teams' rotations (Hughes was recently demoted due to Nate's big game the other night). The Rockets drop down below the luxury tax threshold, and Les will save about $11-12M in salary, taxes, added revenues and insurance on Mobley's contract. Hughes can be either retained as a decent SG to add to the rotation or, if Adelman has no interest in him, bought out (at further savings to Les). This scenario doesn't even factor in whether the Knicks will throw cash into the deal, which they might.

The pick can either be the Knicks' 2012 first rounder (with some level of protection) or maybe even a second round pick (the Knicks' own 2010 second rounder; the better of the Clippers'/Nuggets' 2010 pick, owed to them by the Nuggets; the Knicks' own 2012 second rounder - their 2011 pick is owed to the Lakers). That's just gravy on a "last resort" deal.

All in all, I think the Knicks are ideal trade partners IF nothing better presents itself. Think of how many future picks Les could buy with the savings. Or perhaps he ventures into luxury tax territory next year if he brings everyone back and uses the MLE and LLE, or if a trade presents itself this offseason or during the 2010-11 season.

Just saying. Don't dismiss the Knicks as a destination.

P.S. If D'Antoni actually finds a way to successfully use McGrady and the Knicks make the playoffs in the (extremely weak) Eastern Conference this season, we get the added benefit of screwing over the Utah Jazz. That alone is enough for me to want to make this trade.

4. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Rockets Get:

Kevin Martin
    Spencer Hawes
    Jordan Hill
    Cuttino Mobley-retired

Kings get:

David Lee
    Nate Robinson
    Eddie Curry-nice size expiring
    Joey Dorsey

Knicks Get:

Tracy McGrady
    Luis Scola
    Andres Nocioni

I'd really hate to give up Scola but he seeing as how he's a free agent this summer, I'm not sure if I'd really want to invest 6-8 mil in him when Landry is the future at the PF spot. Kevin Martin is self explannatory. Jordan Hill is gravy for us. We'de also be getting Cat's expiring.

Hawes at the 5 is ideal because he adds size (legit 7'1) and excels at running the high post offense which is why he's struggling this year playing a more traditional big man role.

Kings getting Lee is exactly what they've been after next to Jason Thompson and Nate gives them a scoring punch off of the bench and next to Tyreke (also like to add that the Knicks for some reason don't want to play him). Plus they get Eddie Curry's $10 mil expiring.

Scola gives the Knicks a legit scoring threat down low and Andres actually answers a need which is a SF who can score and defend other than Wilson Chandler. Also, bringing in this these guys gives them a much better shot at making the playoffs in the East

5. realmustang

realmustang Member

I really don't understand some of you guys. You guys talk about how T-Mac is washed up but yet you want the Rockets to get the best players the other team has in any trade. If he's garbage like most of you say then the Rockets should just settle for expiring contracts and leave at that. I think it's ridiculous to expect an All-Star for a so-called washed up player.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

mac is valuable for his contract AND he still has it in him to be a star. Just not an all star... though he is being voted to it!

it's not unreasonable to expect star level talent in return for star level talent.

7. Salvy

Salvy Member

This :)

8. realmustang

realmustang Member

I agree with you on that. The problem is most people saying give me a star or forget it are the ones that are saying T-Mac is washed up and no longer a star. Most don't even think he should ever play again.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It woudl seem the most natural thing to do with NY is a McGrady for Jeffries + Chanlder + Expiring Contracts trade. It helps NY pursue their FAs, and gives Rockets appropriate compensation (W. Chandler is good and cheap) for taking on about $6-7 mil in salary (which, as the BimaThug Memorial Thread indicates, may just be right around the "pain free" threshhold for taking on salaries). Now, Chandler is another SF/PF, which may or may not fit with the team's needs, but he's a young, good and cheap player who can be flipped somewhere else either in a 3 team trade or in a later summer trade.

10. redao

redao Member

TMAC for expirings = Les losing $10M insured salary. Rockets say No.

TMAC for expirings+something good : Knicks said no because they believe TMAC is washed up.

TMAC for contracts+ something really good. <----> this is the route they are targeting, the possibility we are talking about. If this trade could give Knicks a chance to sign 2 Max FAs, they should pay us a "star".

The "star" is the price for us taking their contract, not for TMAC's playing.

11. trainwreck

trainwreck Member

I wouldn't mind getting Harrington and Chandler for T-Mac..but I prefer Iggy!!

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Where are you getting this from? Insurance is no longer covering any of T-Mac's salary now that he's healthy enough to play. If it were, the Rockets would be getting MUCH better offers for T-Mac.

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I agree with everything except it may go down more like:

Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook and a future pick
    for
    Cuttino Mobley and Larry Hughes

If you take the pick out of the equation, I think the Rockets benefit more by saving millions from the trade (getting under the LT and 80% payback on Cuttino’s salary). Unloading players for cap relief always costs the team in need of relief. Without the pick, the Knicks don’t really gain anything from the trade – in fact they lose some by losing the cash they are collecting from Cuttino’s policy. They might get some benefit from ticket sales and if Tracy does have any gas left in his tank they would retain his Bird rights (correct?) if they wanted to resign him but that seems like a small possible benefit. And since Les has shown that he’s willing to spend money on picks and he can buy a few picks better than the one we’d trade for the LT cash savings and policy money.

A last resort trade like this is better than a buyout or letting his contract expire.

(Oh and I would enjoy the "jazz bonus" we might get out of this deal too)

14. redao

redao Member

TMAC's any missed game will be covered by insurance.
    It is also true if TMAC is traded to other team.

I think it was reported.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't like this. Its not the NFL. NY reps have no business contacting our contracted players. Get the hell out of here with that crap.

16. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

[​IMG]
    (Jordan Hill, David Lee, Wilson Chandler,Danilo Gallinari )
    the only way i trade with the knicks is if they include at least three of this Players^ :grin:

--RB

17. BATman81

BATman81 Member

The Rockets gave Mcgradys agent permission to talk to other teams about trades

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He'll be fine. He's playing for a contract and knows his legitimacy is in question. If he went to a situation like New York, they'll continue to lose only he'll fill up the stat sheets earning himself one last decent contract. The Rockets obviously weren't ready to let him do that here and were content with Trevor Ariza going 4-16, dribbiling the ball off his foot and huffing & puffing every night. So be it.

19. number22

number22 Member

Felt like this should be repeated. I agree but his value is his contract not his abilities right now.

20. Yak

Yak Member

It's not that we want potential all-stars/young talent for TMac straight up.

No one is discussing Gallinari + Lee + Hill + Chandler for Tmac.

We're merely asking for compensation for possibly taking Curry or Jefferies.

We need something in return for taking their garbage contracts, and these potential all-stars are the compensation, not the center-pieces.