1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks to Carmelo Anthony "Pick Your Teammates in 2015"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Jul 30, 2013.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

IMHO it depends...does that mean Bosh is leaving? Because honestly Bosh is a better player than Melo, with Melo around LBJ can't play PF and can't unleash his beast mode. Maybe if the 4 of them do a decision part 2 and divide the cap between 4 guys that would work. Would certainly be interesting to see how far 4 guys and 11 vet mins can go.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

(1) I think Riles is tired of Bosh and (2) Melo is better and hungrier than Bosh. Bosh will be given away to a team with cap space or traded to the Knicks to make room for Melo. LeBron moves to full-time PF and can rotate the SF/PF positions with Melo.

2-3 years ago I would have taken Bosh over Melo. No longer.

Three's company; four is a crowd.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Unless the Knicks are nice enough to accommodate the Heat, the Heat would need to clear in the order of $40m space.

Throw in the absurdly player friendly contract Bosh has (an eto, an option the following year and a 15% trade kicker), i have no idea why anyone would get in on that unless the assets sent back were extremely lopsided to the team taking Bosh.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Carmelo Anthony to opt out?

The All-Star forward can become a free agent on July 1, and he will almost certainly opt out of his contract because it makes financial sense.
    The Knicks can offer Anthony the most money but the Los Angeles Lakers will be players in the free-agent market next summer and there has already been talk of Anthony joining Kobe Bryant, and even Anthony and LeBron James joining forces in the purple and gold.

http://fansided.com/2013/08/04/carm...h-new-york-knicks-los-angeles-lakers-in-play/

5. Raven

Raven Member

I just don't see Marshmallow playing on the same team as Kobe.

6. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Sources tell me Camerlo would like to team up with the Rockets, Morey doesn't want him

This looks good on paper tho Harden, Melo, and Howard :eek: I doubt it works out tho

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Knicks won't get nobody. But Carmelo won't go to L.A neither.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yeah, two selfish ball hogs playing on the same team? No it just doesn't work. But it will be fun two watch those two on the same team fighting each other of who gets to keep the ball.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well the problem here's Melo's a horrible SF if you have LBJ as the PF, those guys are virtually identical except LBJ is better at everything. Melo is at his best when he's working the post, unlike CB his mid-range actually not that good, he just makes up for it by shooting a ton of shots to score a decent amount of pts. With LBJ and Birdman/Oden already at the C spot, there's no room for Melo to operate in the post, taking his greatest weapon away from him.

Maybe overall Melo's better than Bosh (I doubt it though), but Bosh has so many skills that complement other players that I think swapping Bosh for Melo straight up is a downgrade. If Miami really want to unload CB though I wish we could get in the action and take him, he'd be the perfect stretch 4 for DH and Harden.

10. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

melo is going to be 30....guys depends strongly on his athleticism...he will age badly....i would not give him another max deal.

11. platypus

platypus Member

I don't agree. Melo does not depend on his athleticism. He gets buckets because of his size and tremendous shooting ability. Sure he may be hampered if he loses some quickness but the guy can flat out shoot.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Have you ever watched Melo play basketball? Out of all the "superstars", he probably relies the least on his athleticism...

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It won't be because the Knicks are nice. If Melo tells them he's leaving for Miami, they would gladly accept Bosh in return instead of getting nothing. If not, there will be several teams with cap space next summer who would gladly take Bosh off of Riley's hands so he could sign Melo.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

They wouldn't really be getting anything in return because Bosh's contract would just have him walking soon thereafter, and the knicks are nice? Dolan is the most likely owner in the nba to take the **** that guy stance.

And again, Getting rid of Bosh doesn't even come close to opening the requisite cap space.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Fine, so the Knicks get nothing and Melo leaves. Or they accept/extend Bosh and get something in return. Whatever Dolan wants.

You do realize both LeBron and Wade have early termination next summer, which would blow $41MM off Miami's salary cap. So does Bosh. Then they can trade Bosh to the team of his choice for nothing and sign their revised "Big 3" for $15MM each with escalating salaries just like in 2010.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen but it is possible if Riley wants to go another direction.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah Melo definitely doesn't depend on athleticism.

17. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

That's totally not going to happen. Three years ago the big three had exactly the same earning power limited by the MAX (although we know James>Wade>Bosh), which starts at about $16-17M/year. They pretty much took the same ~10% pay-cut from what they were otherwise going to make to fit together. That's fair and practical to do.

Situation now is very different. Lebron James will opt out and can demand the absolute MAX for him, which starts at $20.5M/year and will run into $25M+/year at the end of the contract. Wade and Bosh are eligible for the same scale, but how much are teams willing to pay them? Wade's play I think is worth $20M+/year now, but he is a big injury risk and is already on the decline. He may settle for $18-20M/year flat for his next contract. Bosh is pretty healthy, but you may very well argue, is not the same player in Toronto and is already overpaid. I think his best option is to opt in, enjoy his bloated contract, stay healthy and look for the next payday ($15M/year) in 2016.

Melo, on the other hand is eligible for the biggest salary starting at $23.5M/year and will run towards the $30M/year. He may actually get that much from the Knicks if next season he plays like the end of the past regular season.

The Max deals have grown way bigger now with the players' experience. Everyone is on a different page now. Starting at $15M for another super-team is probably a decent proposition for Wade, but good luck with Lebron or Melo.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Unless you can read the minds of LeBron and Melo, don't rule it out. If the Heat win another championship next year, I don't think a billion dollars would make LeBron move away from Pat Riley. Sacrificing money for championships is exactly why he went there and there is every reason to believe he would do it again to win more.

They don't need Melo anyway. My bet is the Knicks will buy his love again.