1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks reach agreement on buyout with Amar'e Stoudemire

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 15, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Standing Threadbare and Timeworn

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

That is also how I remember it.

I do not see how this helps the mavs. They need defense and Amar'e does not play defense.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The upside of this signing is limited, but there are very few downsides.

Minimum salary, willing role player, good locker room guy, PnR with monta/barea all day, helps replace Wright's OREBs.

But of course, this isn't a signing that will get them over their hump.

4. dontfaulkup28

dontfaulkup28 Member

Ok let me start this out by saying yes I am a mavs fan.......But I also respect the Rockets and grew up watching both as a kid. I am not here to debate or bash the rockets like many opposing fans seem to because I will say this forum is one that I do enjoy reading. Yes some of the posts are ridiculous and just sad but a majority of them are well written and are knowledgeable. So again just putting my opinion because I was curious what everyone had to say.

Now we all know Amare is well past his prime to put it lightly but in the past the Mavs have taken players that were in this same stage of their career and somehow Carlisle was able to have them contribute and for some even turn their career around (extend it a few more years). Also I am not saying he has made any old players all-stars by any means but he has made them into decent if not good additions.

Some examples of this would be a few players from this years team: Charlie V(Who lets be honest we all thought retired); J.J. Barea (who was horrible on the wolves); and Monte Ellis (though he was a good player away from the Mavs we can agree he has become as good if not better then he ever was with the Mavs)

In the past Carlisle has taken Vince Carter, Mike James, Chris Kaman, Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson, Jason Terry, Eric Dampier, and most notably Shawn Marion (Now again he did not turn these players into hall of famers or all-stars beside maybe Marion who was a scrub after leaving Phoenix.) But the point of all this was to say he has shown that he is able to take veterans who have nothing left in the tank and gotten them to produce for the Mavs.

Now who knows Amare could very well be just as bad as he was as of late with the Mavs but I was curious what do Rockets fans think will happen with Amare to the Mavs? If Coach is able to get him to be half of the player he once was do the mavs become a threat or do they only become a threat if the Mavs can somehow (though nearly impossibly) get Amare back to his all-star days?

Just curious is all and thanks for taking the time to read this, I will not sit back and be bashed for being on this forum and being a Homer etc. lol

5. dontfaulkup28

dontfaulkup28 Member

My phone auto corrected NOW to NOT and I cannot seem to find a way to edit the post above my apologies.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Good post man. Not everyone is like that here. You are always welcome to put your opinion here; that's what this forum is for.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It couldn't be worse than Greg Smith

Hell, half the people in this forum wouldn't be worse than Greg Smith

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

dontfaulkup28,

Like I posted earlier, I think Amare will work well for the Mavs because he fits like a glove in terms of your offense.

However, the final goal isn't to rehab players!

At the end of the day, you still haven't addressed the issue of a backup defensive/rebounding center to spell Tyson Chandler and be relied upon to play consistent minutes (i.e. not injury prone). I can't say I believe in Amare's wine baths, but the Mavs will be lucky if he doesn't miss more than 10 games.

For this reason, I have a hard time being too worried about this move.

On the other hand, if you were able to revive Jermaine O'Neal...

9. dontfaulkup28

dontfaulkup28 Member

Well since O'neal has already said he is not returning this season that wont happen and in the many years of this new medical staff, not many mavs have missed a lot of time. I know obviously its basically impossible to prevent injury but Tyson chandler is a good example.....his whole career he has been injury prone and maybe Mavs have been lucky but in his two seasons with us he has been quite healthy. Same can be said for many mavs in the past

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Amare's first season compared to his last 4:

[​IMG]

11. dontfaulkup28

dontfaulkup28 Member

That is what has many of the Mavs fans excited because he was playing a lot the last few years in NY so the limited minutes may help extend his career and like someone said earlier....you cannot get worse then greg smith so it is an upgrade either way lol

12. affter3333

affter3333 Member

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

This deal is heavily dependant on Rondo and Tyson not being injured. If these two are online by the playoffs, the risk would have been worth it. If not, it's a glaring defensive gap the Mavs have just made by having him out there.

14. dontfaulkup28

dontfaulkup28 Member

I agree completely.....but without doing the deal the same would have been true....more reward with none of the risk