1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks Interested in McGrady?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 17, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

Sam Hinkie answered this question in the last Rockets podcast and he gave Courtney Lee as an example.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well, a lot depends on situations, Magic Johnson made an immediate impact his rookie year.

And closer to home, Sam Cassell did for the Rockets (which is probably closer to what you are saying).....

Doesn't a lot of it depend on opportunity and the rest of the team? If a rookie goes to a veteran team like the Rockets and breaks into the rotation they can have a big impact....

If they go to a crap team, they may have an impact but not a noticable one because they are not on a contender.

I doubt that most championship teams have many rookies making an impact....there are some...Magic Johnson, Cassell to name 2...etc..

But probably not very often.

DD

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

ESPN radio a few weeks back.

4. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Of course, lol.

5. RedRowdy111

Can someone elaborate on this please:

**** Players with Trade Restrictions ****

Al Harrington from New York

Harrington is in the last non-exercisable year of his contract and cannot be traded. However, next season is currently a player option and if is exercised, then the player can be traded.

Eddy Curry from New York

Curry is in the last non-exercisable year of his contract and cannot be traded. However, next season is currently an early termination option and if is not exercised, then the player can be traded.

6. worzel gummidge

Players who have contract options for next season (2009-10) cannot be traded during the period between the trade deadline and July 1st.

7. RedRowdy111

So no Eddy Curry and Al Harrington until after the draft, if they were even part of the proposed deal?

8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd do the Hughes and Mobley deal... IF theyre including the #8 pick - otherwise no freakin way. Although I'd much rather see us acquire Redd or even maybe Allen....

9. worzel gummidge

Yes, but it shouldn't be a problem. The Rockets had to wait out on the Donte-Artest trade after shaking hands with the Kings. Donte Greene was in the midst of a 30 day trade restriction after signing a rookie contract.

10. Landry92

Landry92 Member

I would actually prefare keepin mac if were gettin larry hughes only absulotely not worth.

i lik donnie walsh as a GM but shaping ur roster 4 2 years to sign james is naive and juvenile it would absolutely funny if he mdoesnt sign and i think he wont ..

if i could do a trade i see the best case scenario :
    David Lee
    pik (Stephan Curry)
    hughes
    gallinari or chandler

scola
    t-mac

11. RedRowdy111

David Lee could only be had in a sign and trade. In a sign and trade, you can only move one player for one player. No package deals. He can't even resign untill July.

12. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I think dealing for Allen or Redd might be a little too much to ask for only Tmac's salary. And they might be willing to wait until the trade deadline. And there is far more competition because virtually everyone would have the ability to give Milwaukee or Boston an expiring to make up for Redds/Allens salary. If a trade could be made... cool. But I don't think its realistic.

New York is a unique situation. Not only are we not talking about a player with a ridiculously long contract, meaning its good for us(Harrington is expiring as well... Curry only 2 years), but for New York to be able to deal away Curry, they would need to find a team with enough expirings to cover BOTH Curry and whoever the guy takes back. The list of teams with 23 million worth in expirings (that they would be willing to trade... Cleveland isn't going to trade Lebron even though he expires) is a lot shorter.

I think the #8 is basically off the table. With Lee thats a guy that might not be in their future plans because he wants a big contract (might be a reason why we shouldn't want him either), so he's tradable, with Harrington or Hughes, they aren't going to be Knicks much longer. So any trade involving any of those players they really aren't losing much... but if they trade the #8 they are losing a player who will be on a rookie contract well past 2010 that they can keep without killing their 2010 plans. Then if he pans out they sign him while being over the cap. They aren't going to trade the #8.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I dont think thats the case. I remember Joe Johnson signed-&-traded from the Suns for Diaw and all kinda other junk.

14. worzel gummidge

McGrady for Mobley + Hughes/Lee

At the trade deadline Hughes will be more tradeable than McGrady when looking at them as expiring contracts only.

Follow-up scenarios to the above Knicks deal:

Brooks + Mobley + White (non-guaranteed) for Nash
    *SUNS save $11.107M. Suns reduce team salary by $3.507M and Mobley's contract saves them $7.6M.
    *Phoenix will be $9.325M+ (incl. 14th pick) over LT this upcoming season

Mobley + Cook to for Carter
    *NETS save $10.7M for this upcoming season alone. Overall they save $32.222M.

Mobley for Caron + Pecherov (aka Stewie Griffin)
    *WIZ save $9.957M. Wiz reduce team salary by $2.357M and Mobley's contract saves them $7.6M.
    *Washington will be around $6.758M over LT this upcoming season.

Mobley for Posey + Armstrong + Devin Brown + 21st pick
    *HORNETS save $8.088M. Hornets reduce salary by $488k and Mobley's contract saves them $7.6M.
    *New Orleans will be around $8.622M (incl. 21st pick) over LT this upcoming season.

S&T players can be included in a trade package. That's how Keith Van Horn got his free money from Cuban when Dallas dealt for Jason Kidd.