1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks have advanced talks with Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stilldream'n34, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

No way Morey would do a wink-wink deal with a guy the calibre of Von Wafer.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Bye bye wafer. At least you be playing under a coach that emphasis on offense.

3. joesr

joesr Member

He is selfish because he wants more money?

Only thing I am worried about is developing those rookies, it took a while for Coach to play AB and Landry....

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: selfishness and $$
    That's not even relevant due to the fact noone is offering him a big pay cheque anyway

not even the knicks, who would have thought

5. ringin08

ringin08 Member

Sometimes with some of the Wafer hate on this forum, I start to wonder if I missed a thread where maybe he was convicted of murder or child molestation.

I mean wow....the guy loves to play and said something to the coach during a playoff game letting him know that he didn't like being taken out of a game. I am so sure that non of the "hotheads" that lose their tempers and say all kinds of personal stuff about Wafer and other members on this forum would ever do that. :rolleyes:

Also, basketball is not just a game for him, it's his livelihood, how he pays the bills. Everyone and I mean everyone tries to get a raise when their performance level gets better at work.

I think Wafer is a great fit for the Rockets and he brings a lot of passion that we need on this team. It's RA's job to coach and manage that as well as the X's and O's imho.

I like the new rooks, especially Chase, but as many have said, it's a whole lot different proving it in the NBA verses summer league. Wafer has proven that he can produce given the minutes on our team.

If we let him walk for anything less than 3 mil, I will be disappointed to see him go for that amount and we don't match. If we match and he walks, which I don't think he would, then so be it.

You all can start the hate on me now, but I'm with DD on Wafer! :D

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Said it like hundred times
    there's no real hate and there won't be
    of course you cannot expect everybody to hop on his bandwagon because he is nowhere near the level of - I would say - professionalism of a vet - shane, yao
    and of course nowhere near a young player like brooks who was clutch in the playoffs - scola is there as well
    I don't know much about his locker room presence, he is no cancer obviously but you never know
    to be fair, I would give him more time to develop as a player THATS IT, nothing personal against the person

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

one more thing to add
    he would be more popular in the GARM if he was drafted AND developed by the rox
    that would make him a home grown product

8. ringin08

ringin08 Member

I understand what you are saying in this post and the one before it. But people act like Wafer is overpaid or making the MLE or beyond. You won't get Shane or Yao benefits without their pay grade.

He is great for the price of under 3 million if you ask me!

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say people are ambiguous in their opinions because he has the journeyman image tagged on him. I really hope that he can stay a few years. Given the uncertain situations, Morey's perhaps not as high on him as you are. What do you do with a bunch of SG's and tweeners. Chase is near NBA ready IMO,Taylor,McGrady coming back, Ariza who is quick enough to play the 2, and Brent ... and White...yeah athletic wing players are not hard to find.
    There are still other holes to fill. I would say considering the bigger picture would be adequate.

10. ringin08

ringin08 Member

I think there is no doubt that Ariza will start given what the Rockets had to say to bring him here, but I don't want to see him starting at the 2 honestly. If we don't trade Shane, I would finally like to see him coming off the bench where I think he can be more productive, and used in situational defensive purposes like game enders, etc.

You maybe and probably are right about Chase, but I am talking about his offensive game. I doubt his defensive game is near NBA ready, but I think he will make it. Taylor won't be, and hopefully Tmac will be back by training camp. But those are still all "IFs".

Wafer is the best sure thing that we have to start at the 2 at this moment coming into the season. A 2+ million dollar starting SG that can average over 10 pts a game is not a bad deal for a team that isn't contending, imho.

Doesn't look like White is ready. And Barry needs to retire or start coaching. Without Tmac back and ready to play 100%, I don't think we have anyone on the roster that can fill Von's shoes.....maybe the spot, but not what he brings to the table. (I'm not counting Ariza at the 2)

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

you are right about there are too many ifs
    What is the most important point to me is the Adelman Motion Offense aka Princeton System tm who does not require a scoring guard to drop 15-18 points consistently thus making tmac's passing abilities ( no video?)
    so valuable ( if he regains half of his explosiveness and quickness back, which I think he will, up to 90 percent, which is good to me)
    DaDakota has said that times and times again that you don't need a major threat on one position in RA's system (Therefore don't really understand his modest love affection for Von :p )
    With the outlook this year we don't have to contend, it is really possible to let Chase start some games this year.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wafer is good but in my eyes expendable, you have got to trust the others in a system which makes everybody more efficient IMO

13. ringin08

ringin08 Member

We need some players to score at least 15-18 points or we will lose every single game. Without Yao or Tmac, we have no superstars on this team. Von is not a superstar nor does he get paid like a superstar or a star, which is why he is a good value to me. Sure, we could let him walk, but I don't think we can replace what he brings to the table right now for the price. But you are right, it won't mean whether or not we are a championship contender. But I think the Rockets will be a lot more fun to watch with him on the team, imho.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

eventually there are other options that is why a trade is always looming
    he sure is fun to watch but we will see what is best for the team
    I will make aaron my nr. 1 scorer ;)

15. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Correct. His contributions to the team is noted. He can help by adding fire to the second unit and is a good source in offense however, his role in the team is replaceable and the rookies are prime to take his place. If He really wanted to stay with the team, He should accept the team's offer for a year and try to prove that last year was not a fluke.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Like I've said bbefore, morey is doing a good job, but a couple of moves that were in question is kinda hurting the team a little in regards to the lt. The most obvious is landry. If landry wouldve been handled properly, he would be making 1.5m vs 3m he makes now. He was the 1st pick in the 2nd rd which basically makes him a 1st rd pick. 2 yrs plus 2 option yrs, similar to what milsap got the yr before made sense. The other deal was the barry signing. The 2 yr lle for barry who shouldve been signed late summer for vet min was a error. On the surface, those 2 deals don't seem like a big deal, but that extra money is what have the rox over the lt. So now, morey has to be really,really cheap on wafer. Wafer should get 3yrs a deal similar to what landry got last summer based on his performance, but he can't or won't. Why wouldn't the rebuild include a 23 yr old microwave off the bench?

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm unclear on how he messed up with Landry? I think that's reaching. Barry is unnecessary now but NOBODY saw Von Wafer coming last summer and most everyone agreed that picking up Brent was right in line with win now, which would still have been the philosophy going into next season if it weren't for unexpected circumstances. Morey has made mistakes but IMO, not these.

As for Wafer, perhaps he's not as highly regarded in the organization as he is to the fans. That may bite us in the a$$ later, it may not.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

BigM, it hurt because the rox are paying landry 2m more than what he's supposed to be making. That doesn't sound like a lot, but the domino effect is there. The extra 2m from landry, the 2m from barry vs the 700k has stung a bit. What spurned from those deals have been 2rd picks to get rid of players to stay under the lux tax. If landry was given the standard 31st pick contract and barry who no one really wanted been a vet min dea we're talking about a extra 3m. So now if the rox wanted to offer von 2m per and sign their 2nd rd picks,they wouldn't have problems with the lux tax.Go look at chalmers contract who was the 1st pick in the 2nd rd and look at milsaps contract the yr before landry and tell me which contract is "friendlier".

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Milsap only had 1 option year.

If Landry got that deal, he would be a free agent after this year (and probably in line to make more than 3m).

I don't think we really came out any worse. As is, we're paying roughly $10m for Landry's first 4 years. Had we signed him as you suggested, we would've paid ~3m for the first 3 years, and then probably anywhere from 5-8m for year 4, making it a total of 8-11m.

If we're "overpaying" Landry by 1-2m total over a 4 year period because of a "screwup", I'm not complaining.

Barry's a different story. That one was a mistake.

This to me isn't so much about our cap situation. We paid millions for a set of second rounders, and were perfectly willing to pay Atlanta and pay David Andersen.

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

Don't sign Von Wafer... use the money to try to sign Hakim Warrick... Memphis cut him loose.