1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks have advanced talks with Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stilldream'n34, Jul 24, 2009.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Let him walk, we don't need "me first" players on the team.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

market has been set. If rockets want, they will match or even give less over multiple years.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well said.

DD

4. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

Just because the Knicks want to talk with him means he will sign with them, look at what happened with the Gorart (not sure if spelled right) situation with us. Morey talked to him, and then he decided he wanted Dallas, but he's with the Magic. Talk is talk until someone signs a contract.

5. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

I'd rather develop the younger players, then to sign Von "Journeyman" Wafer. But you also can't blame him for looking for the money.

6. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

And Wafer is not a "young" player? :confused:

7. komac

komac Member

I sincerely think that it won't be a significant difference between the Rockets with Von or the Rockets without him next year. But this is jut my opinion.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly, I hope he signs with NY. He will thrive on that team. It is a better fit than we are. Wafer will do well there, but not because of his skill. Posters will be outraged at his bloated stats and say "why didn't we resign him?" Mark my words, he will do well under their mindset, but it doesn't mean he is the right fit here long term. Yes, next season we will emulate the sons of old, but how long do we keep that system? Wafer is a great player, and he should go where he wants. With us, he will always be a 2nd stringer at best.

9. beanball75

beanball75 Member

I don't understand all the hate for Von Wafer. Is just because of his blowup during the playoffs? I'd rather a guy show a little emotion then sit around like a dead fish. Sure it was immature, but what he did wasn't unforgivable. He didn't make us lose that series.

Is it because he's trying to make money? A professional basketball player only has so many years to make all they're going to make, so I say go out there and get the best deal he can get -- find a good situation to showcase his talent for a longer term contract and make the most money he can. I think Von more than earned his pay last season. It's not like he's asking for an insane amount (relative to other NBA players).

Personally, I admire the guy. He has bounced around all these years but managed to hang on by his fingernails to a roster spot and made the most of his big chance. I agree that he's probably not in the Rockets plans, but I wish him the best.

1 person likes this.
  10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

New York could use another player that gives a damn about basketball.

11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

Do people realize Wafer is younger than both Landry and Brooks?

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not a good analogy. Morey openly said he'll match any offer Landry get. Morey hasn't said anything close to that with respect to Wafer.

13. justafriend

justafriend Member

2.9 for 1 year is peanuts. It would be phenomenally stupid not to offer the same deal. There's no risk and plenty of reward if he continues to improve.

14. worzel gummidge

The Rockets have already spent around $8 million to buy the rights to players this offseason. Adding an extra $2.9 million would force the Rockets to trade more salary than just Cook to an under the cap team (Memphis). That itself would cost another $3 million and future pick/s.

Also the Rockets do not get his early bird rights with a 1 yr deal.

15. jogo

jogo Member

I don't think we have room for Wafer. We'll definitely keep Budinger, I think, and we also paid money for Taylor on the draft so we might keep him too. If that's the case, then even if we trade Barry and Cook in a two for one we only have one space for Wafer or White. This doesn't even really address the financial issues of trying to keep Wafer...

16. Sonn

Sonn Member

Gonna Miss this Guy, He played with heart every game the knicks are getting a good player....

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

At the end of the day it is about business. There are no hard feelings for being immature. You can grow with that. I know money is a huge factor but when you know that you have only proven yourself half a season, and nobody is really giving you a big paycheck, he'd better consider houston as the best option to develop more, especially his defense. I don't think money comes to you that easy. Until he has proven himself as a fulltime starter one or two seasons more, he won't see the coat tail of MLE or more.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

All true, of course. Also true is if Wafe signs with Houston and particularly if he can effect a 2-year deal or option then Bird starts flying his rights towards the Von Hawk.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think it isn't a good analogy because Landry was actually a restricted free agent. Von is not. Big difference.

If Von wants to play elsewhere, there's nothing Morey and the Rockets can do about it. There is right to match. The only thing the Rockets can hope for (if they want Von back at all) is that Von decides that he wants to give the Rockets the OPPORTUNITY to match. Assuming that he will give that opportunity to the Rockets (even though it would otherwise just be good business sense on his part) is a little presumptuous. It is not a given at all.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Fixed.