1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks have advanced talks with Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stilldream'n34, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Stilldream'n34

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0724200..._lee_frustrated_by_slow_contract_t_181067.htm

Walsh has had advanced discussions regarding Rockets shooting guard Von Wafer, according to his agent Raymond Brothers. Wafer was a surprise last season, averaging 9.7 points. Ironically, the former 2005 Lakers' second-round pick played for the Knicks summer league team in 2008 and barely sawaction.

A source said the parties were trying to arrange a Knick visit for Wafer, 24. Walsh is interested in a one-year deal, possibly for biannual exception ($2.9 million).

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So is it safe to assume that we're gonna be using our MLE money to sign Taylor and Budinger, and that we're gonna let Wafer walk?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

DD, don't do anything crazy or drastic good buddy :D

4. sbyang

sbyang Member

One year deal for 1.9 million, not exactly what our man Wafer was expecting.

5. Stilldream'n34

Sorry! just saw this posted in another thread. Lock if need be!

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That will be a good deal for him, go up there score some points, keep his mouth shut, and prove he's worth a longer contract and promised role.

7. vince

vince Member

Well I'm at odds here. Wafer loves to run. Morey said they are going to run. I think Wafer is real selfish.

So, I can go either way if the Rockets bring back Wafer or not. The only down side is that I want to see Budinger and Taylor develop. If Wafer is brought back, then you'd have to send one overseas or to the D-Leagues.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think its a forgone conclusion that Wafer is gone, IMO. If you listened to all the interviews Morey has done thus far, it seemed like they were in no hurry to bring him back(not that there should of been a hurry but still). It just seems like the Rockets werent that interested in him. I may be wrong, maybe they were, but it was at their price or not at all. Though, I cant blame either side.

9. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

why do we want Wafer? Ive seen signs that he doesnt want to be here and why try to woo a guy like that?

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

First the Suns now Knicks??? I say we wil probably sign the fool after its all said and done...

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

he was a spark off the bench, had nice moments, I would not mind taking him back for less than 2 million.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

cut him loose.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...that's a tough spot for Wafer. NY would be the perfect system for him to showcase in, but on a one year deal with Wafer being a free agent in 2010 it almost certainly means he will get the scraps left after all the bigger guys have been paid. Houston is playing hardball with him(like they did with Landry last year) and if his price point comes down, Houston might have to think hard about keeping him. I kind of feel bad for him because he is right to think lesser players have got better deals but the circumstances of his free agency work against him - poor economy, the 2010 free agent class, most teams over salary cap. He's in a really bad negotiating spot.

14. Raven

Raven Member

The writing was on the wall when we acquire Chase.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

NY fans will surely test Wafer's maturity and subsequent ability to handle the NBA pressure cooker. If he struggles, I predict a major meltdown by December.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Maybe not, but it is more than double what he made last year, and it is nearly $2 million bucks....

Not bad if you are Von.....

And you are a free agent again next year.

I wish Von the best, whether it is here in Houston or wherever he lands.

DD

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The trouble with that is the difference in taxes / cost of living in Houston vs taxes / cost of living in New York. He may go broke making more money. ;)

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

good point. maybe not broke but its supposed to be considered

19. n_naik1

n_naik1 Member

Wow, now he gets to play in the bright lights of New York City and MSG! He's gonna have a lot of fun, plus D'Antoni's system works well for him and he can have a large role in it. No way he's turning that down!!!

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

care to develop defensive skills? :eek: