1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks committed to completing deal with rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is the kind of panicked, irrational thinking that makes crappy GMs crappy

BigMaloe, justtxyank, Reeko and 12 others like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Shams or Woj only

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, Mario_v is hyperventilating a bit. Good Lawd.

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That's why I'm glad our GM doesn't think that way. Some fans just don't know how to read a situation. We have all the leverage, stars have already chosen us, yet impatient fans just want Morey to negotiate against himself.

BigMaloe, robgue, Reeko and 1 other person like this.
  6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

So now Melo to OKC?

I'm not buying it. CP3 is his bestfriend and Harden has been talking to him here for months. All the reports have been saying Melo is set on Houston.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone besides maybe Bill SImmons thinks that OKC is a legit possible landing spot for Melo.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

One thing people forget is that Melo is extremely loyal.

He was getting pushed out of NY and still wanted to stay.

He really doesn't seem like the type who is going to just "change" his mind that quickly. It really seems like a Houston or bust thing right now.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure Melo would rather play this year with a contender in a city he might actually consider resigning in. No way Melo wants to be in OKC. i think they still practice quackery there. I hear they are still rounding up the last of the indigenous there. I hear they made climate change illegal there. Also, pretty sure they still practice slavery.

No Chance and Fullcourt like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Knicks are desperate to up the leverage, but it's all up to Melo and his NTC.

I don't know why Melo would want to cause a bidding war between contenders even if he liked the attention.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sorry but isn't Kurt Helin just a guy who reposts rumors taken by other people like...every single time? I have literally zero faith in what he says, i bet he just saw that LA guy tweet, maybe here lol, and he posted that, meh...

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

that's exactly what he did lol

Vivi, Daddy Long Legs and justtxyank like this.
  14. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Looks like Kurt is getting his info from Tarek. - Kurt

Just Burt and Tarek again.

Daddy Long Legs and justtxyank like this.
  15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By the way, for those mocking Simmons, he's incredibly plugged in. Just look at the exclusive shows he gets with Durant, Morey, etc. He does do a lot of off-the-wall stuff, such as random 3- and 4-team trade proposals, but he doesn't present those as sourced intel. When he says he's hearing something, it's typically from a very informed source.

That said, there's certainly a case for misinformation here. Could be either NYK or OKC wanting to prod Morey into giving up more assets... or it could be Melo simply humoring folks in OKC by not "officially" saying no — same as with the Portland situation (although OKC does have a much better team, so I wouldn't dismiss it offhand like I would with POR).

My hunch is Melo holds his ground and gets this done, but I wouldn't discount Simmons. This isn't Jordan Schultz-level nonsense. Bill knows lots of power brokers around the league and has good relationships with them.

DonKnock, Vivi, SC1211 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dangerous but unlikely. OKC could deal Kanter, Singler and a lotto-protected first.

I don't think Melo is moving to OKC though.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ugh. Read this thinking it was someone else backing up the story. Did anyone else actually read it? The actual title starts with "RUMOR:" and then he quotes the Tarek tweet and says "If true..."

I've really come to hate the articles that are quoting other articles and tweets. Driving clicks to their website by saying "hey someone else posted a rumor about this, here let tell you what they said you can click my ads"

heypartner and ElPigto like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Has Bill Simmons ever broken a story though?

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He usually deals in anecdotes, rather than a Woj-style "break," but he's had tidbits that have been correct. For one example off the top of my head, he's the only guy that reported strong interest between CP3 and the Rockets in June 2013 -- and I think it should be pretty clear by now that CP3 already had a high level of comfort with the Rockets' organization going into this summer.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

The flow chart for the modern NBA role player looks something like this:

Can shoot and defend: he is the ideal NBA role player and can contribute against the top teams.

Can shoot but not defend: Is he an elite shooter or just a marginally above average shooter? If the former, then he can play against the top teams under the right circumstances. If the later, he is unplayable.

Can defend but not shoot: Does he play center? If no, then he's unplayable. If yes, then is he an elite defensive center or just a marginally above average defender? If the former, then they can likely play in most effective lineups against the best teams in the league. If the later, he's essentially unplayable.

So let's apply this to our scenario. Anderson undoubtedly can't defend, but he's also an elite, top 5 in the league level shooter. Great teams will definitely try to exploit his limitations on defense, but he will also provide great spacing on the offensive end.

With Adams, obviously he can defend, and he's not a zero around the basket on the offensive end, but he's not elite at either. He is not anywhere close to DeAndre Jordan or Rudy Gobert. This doesn't even factor in the extra year and $40 million he will be paid.

I don't see it. Adams looks like a decent player on a bad contract....same for Anderson. The difference is one is getting paid $40 million more than the other.