1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks committed to completing deal with rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It will be interesting even if this is feeling like the fast-paced car chase of one Juice in a white Bronco...

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The numbers and the eye test all disagree with this statement. Kyrie is especially bad.

#422 J Sizzle, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we gotta trade Gordon with Anderson... i mean there's always Monta Ellis out there.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Monta Ellis does not shoot threes well. Totally different dynamic, plus the guy looked washed up last year.

5. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

lol what.

Yung-T, DonKnock and Pen15clubber like this.
  6. King901

King901 Member

Might as well sign some people out the big3 league

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Other than that the replacement would come through a trade. Monta Ellis isn't that baf if we are paying him pennies though. Rockets system helps struggling players look better. Wish i could rewind the EG signing.

8. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

CP3 and Melo best friends. We all recall the Chris Paul to Lakers botched trade. Kobe wanted to play with Paul. Kobe also a mentor of Melo's and as personally close as he can be with another player to Melo. Kobe when interviewed this offseason, said Harden was his top two players he enjoyed watching play.(Westbrook being the other) Prediction, Kobe joins midway through the season as the 6th/7th man to win his 6th title.

Melo to Portland is so funny. I get they want him, but he has made it clear as to where he wants to be.

CP3/Harden
    Harden/Kobe
    Ariza/Melo/Tucker
    Melo/
    Kobe comeback. He's close to Paul and Anthony. Also, when asked who is favorite players are to watch, he said Harden and Westbrook. :D

Imagine this lineup to close out games.
    Paul
    Harden
    Kobe
    Melo
    Capela

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

As long as we don't push for Carmelo at all costs, I'm happy. Definitely should not give up more than Anderson, Onuaku and 2nd rounder.

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried that there is not a workable deal the longer this goes on.

11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am obviously wanting to keep Gordon but I am not as attached to him as everyone else. He is a good 3 point shooter and scorer but he is not all that efficient of a scorer as he tends to force the issue. Not sure how well that will gel with Melo as basically taking the role of Gordon for stretches. We needed Gordon to be a bit ball dominant for stretches last year and he filled in admirably but honestly a 2 way player like Courtney Lee may serve this team a little better?

Lee had a higher Win Share than Gordon did last year and is a little more efficient. I also think he knows his role really well on both ends of the floor and can fill in where needed. I think he would be a perfect complimentary piece to this team. I think he has a little more mental toughness than EG and also is much less injury prone. If the Rockets have to include EG and Anderson in a deal, I would not be opposed to receiving Lee and Melo back as I believe that is a fairly equal trade. Anderson could be flipped to another team like the Suns for Brandon Knight, etc. Knicks would have EG and Night or some other PG as trade assets for a future deal at much more moveable salaries than Anderson's.

I am sure Gordon has more value around the league than Lee but I do see Lee as a pretty good fit on this Rockets squad assuming we get Melo. I am obviously intrigued by keeping Gordon even if we can get Melo without including him in a deal because the scoring talent on this squad would be insane. I am tempted to think that trumps all and they will all figure out how to make it work (Harden, Paul, Melo, and EG). Another part of me thinks we need one more complimentary piece that is more of a 2 way player. If you surround the stars with 2 way players at every position/rotation spot, I can't see any downside to that line of thinking. Gordon is decent at defense but I would imagine Lee would bring the defense every night on this Rockets team knowing what his role is every time he takes the floor. He is getting older though so he may have lost a step on defense but my guess is he would be rejuvenated on this squad.

Anyways, probably not happening as EG is just such a valuable asset and allows us to have another "playmaker", penetrator, shooter, etc. on the floor which can only mean good things but if we think Melo will be that much of an upgrade over Anderson it may be worth it to then swap Gordon for Lee in the long run. The fact that Morey is playing hard ball makes me think that he would rather have the talent of Gordon over any solid 2 way role player especially since he signed Tucker and Mbah A Moute who make Lee a little redundant possibly.

ilias and Starvela like this.
  12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Waiting longer actually benefits us. We have NG's that will eventually expire. Those help out any team looking for cap relief. Basically, if Melo only wants to go to Houston, it's in NYK's best interest to pull the trigger soon. They could always decide to just sit on Melo even though he wants out, which IMO would be a pretty dumb move.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Sure hope Kobe doesn't make a comeback. Most overrated player of all time. Media hyped in LA. We don't need another chucker on this team.

MorningZippo likes this.
  14. onreego

onreego Member

Right, I think the Knicks are underestimating how much we're okay with going forward with our current roster. Upgrading to Melo is obviously a plus but we're not giving up key players for him. We were third in the west with Ryno and we just added CP3.

Let the Knicks go through PR hell if they'd like.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe you are correct.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

time is a killer of all deals... not saying this deal doesn't happen but the longer this drags out the less likely it becomes.

17. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

I feel like you somewhat, here is what i posted earlier in another thread:

I will be honest, there is no way I would let EG get in the way of securing Carmelo...If that what it takes I would do it in a heart beat for sake of getting Melo right this moment...The only reason I would do it, I honestly dont trust EG's health at all, I think we lucked out last year..

The longer this takes, I really worry about Carmelo having some kind of change of heart..You have to do this NOW, while he's motivated to come here...

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Kobe? Lol no thanks. That guy won't pass the ball in the 4th quarter. He would probably end up getting himself beat up at practice since he would be on the other side of the court practicing by himself and not participating in team drills, etc.

Daddy Long Legs and Pen15clubber like this.
  19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Did yall ever read the harden texas monthly article? It showed that while harden is a subpar defender, his reputation is extremely exaggerated and that dame and ESPECIALLY kyrie have much worse defensive stats.

DonKnock, TheRealAllpro and onreego like this.
  20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Y'all wanna sign Kobe? Wtf?

Reeko, DonKnock and Daddy Long Legs like this.