1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks committed to completing deal with rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 18, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It was merely a hypothetical; and, with every new groan from LBJ and Kyrie (the hope for Russbrook hope post-LBJ) the pressure to do something to appease grows stronger and stronger, I suspect. 'We' really know nada but can armchair motivations like pros!

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"She can do what she wants to do........" Now I'm gonna have that song in my head. THANKS, DonKnock.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Love's rebounding is more important to the Cavs than a tiny bit of extra scoring from Melo

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Cavs main issue is they have precisely 1 capable defender to throw at the Warriors in Lebron. Everybody else gets roasted, and Melo would not change that for them.

Rockets at least have Paul/PJ/LRMM/Ariza/Gordon to offer some two way play.

No Chance likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Of course... the thing is if the Cavs get Melo by losing Love...who cares? They still go to the Finals and they still lose to the Warriors.

I think the Cavs know this, they have enough scoring, Melo doesn't really change much for them. Love provides rebounding at least. So I think the Cavs have dropped out of the discussions because they don't want to gut their team for Melo.

Neither do the Rockets...but the Rockets have a GM and a very active one at that.

Sure the Cavs can swoop in and get it done though.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Stay safe bro.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Spitballin', is all. Portland could, ostensibly, block the Rox by taking Frye/Shump and replacing them with Harkness + Leonard (?) get the Knixies to accept, LBJ is happy, Portland is happy, everyone is happy except Ryno and the Rox...

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Rockets would be happy going into the season with Ryno. They know what Ryno brings to the team. The only reason we are all even talking about dumping Ryno is because we could potentially upgrade to Melo. We won't be screwed or unhappy either way.

No Chance, Possum and thedreamsteam like this.
  9. Raven

Raven Member

Melo doesn't want to play in Portlandia.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Read it again.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That's Po'land getting outta some $$$ directing Melo to Lebron, their expensives to NYK and reciving CC's undesirables.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Fair enough. On the surface. What will Ryno's reaction be is the $64,000 er $60mil question. And who can possibly know, inc and esp RA!

13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

jump shooter and jamisonrocket like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Except that hurts us harder on the salary cap for the next few years. Unless Melo is willing to sign with us for almost nothing, which would be very much unlike him because Melo wants every penny coming to him, then we'd have to pay the difference between the buyout and his former contract. Cap-wise, we'd take a huge hit.

@BimaThug can explain it better, but Melo coming here after being bought out would be our worst way of acquiring him.

davidio840 likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

My guess is he will be happy to come back as a Rocket. We are a contender. Any team we trade him to would not be.

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No I understand. You're absolutely right. I just think it's more of a possibility than orchestrating a successful trade.

topfive likes this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Assuming melo would want a deal for more than the tax payer mle, the only way to keep him is to trade for him correct.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

I also think a one-on-one trade with the Knicks for him is impossible. But eventually the Knicks will have to move on, and Murray will be ready with a 3-team deal to make it happen. The Knicks are just hoping they can get more than a sandwich for him, but given his no-trade clause, he's really got them over a barrel. The only way we don't get Melo is if he himself gets tired of waiting and tells the Knicks they can negotiate with some other teams. Hard to imagine that happening.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

FIIK. Do I look like BimaThug??? :cool:

#419 topfive, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    No Chance and Yung-T like this.
  20. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

They get roasted because they try to play at GS pace and also only have 2 capable shot creators in Irving and James.

The team literally falls apart when LeBron sits.

Melo/Kyrie would keep it close and both are capable of getting stops. This theory that they're incapable defenders is absurd, sure they're not Kawhi and Tony Allen but they're not the liabilities people make them out to be.