1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[kneejerk] Dwight Howard, please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Two Sandwiches

Yesterday's game was solid, tangible proof that we need a big-time, big-shot defensive power forward. I say this as someone that has been on the "let the power forwards grow" bandwagon for quite some time.

Dwight Howard is a perfect opportunity for us. He's a big time gamble, for sure, but he's worth the risk. His low post presence is something that this team absolutely needs going forward. If we're going to win a championship, that road is going to run through OKC for at least 5 years. As you saw yesterday, their bigs are going to abuse ours game in and game out. The only way we stand a chance against a team like this is if we're hitting our thees at a very high clip, and they're shooting poorly. The odds of this happening for four out of seven games, I'd say, are next to none.

Because of this, I say we swing for the fences. Go for Dwight. If he can stay healthy, It'd be the perfect opportunity for him to come in an gel with our equally young core of players that we already have. It'd be different here for Dwight, as opposed to playing on a team with aging superstars with a bit of an ego.

As much as I like the idea of improving the team, this team is NOT going to contend by bringing in someone like Josh Smith or Milsap. I like both as players, but they are not dynamic enough to put this team over the top, and I'm pretty sure Morey knows that.

As far as this year's series - it's great that we're in the playoffs. It'd be insanely great if we were to win a series or two, but let's face it - as much as we'd all love it, and still hope for it, we're not winning a championship this year. This series will hopefully lay a foundation of experience that our players should learn from. Because of this, I am extremely happy that we got the eighth seed. We need a rubric as to where we need to go.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If Dwight wants to leave 30mil on the table on come here, by all means, warming welcome Dwight!

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the only way im comfortable moving forward with asik is if we find a way to pry LMA away from portland.. but thats just as much a long shot as getting Dwight to sign here..

4. The Cat

The Cat Member

The only way this is true is if Dwight's career ends before the end of the contract. As this is extremely unlikely, it'd be nice if Rockets' fans would stop spreading this myth.

2 people like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Aldrige would be perfect, also. I would absolutely love that. To a lesser extent, Kevin Love.

I just figure Dwight has about the best shot at happening.

This team desperately needs someone like those mentioned, though.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

How is this swinging for the fences? You say it as if there's some element of risk involved? every team in the league would take Dwight. Of course, Morey is going to pursue him again.

The ONLY risk is if Dwight decides to be a prima-donna again for some unknown reason. Tactically, he has no reason to do that anymore. It gains him no leverage to "play out" his free agency. He should make a decision very quickly. Lakers, I accept your max offer... or, I don't and am signing with this team.

the only way that doesn't happen is if Dwight prefers to sign with another team, but that team needs to make some moves to free up cap space, which takes some time. but, that should be obvious. or at least, Morey would know if they are waiting on HIM to clear up that cap space, or someone else. If someone else, than we wouldn't be pursuing him anymore.

So, in other words, there is no risk here. You pursue Dwight hard when free agency starts, and you have either an answer, or a strong strong strong strong knowledge of what he wants to do in the very short term... like immediately.

How do you figure? I'm not sure what the # is exactly, especially when you start getting into the extremely detailed tax savings, cost of living savings, whatever... but assuming Dwight plays the same number of years regardless of which team he signs with, and assuming the existing CBA is the one that is in effect for the rest of his career (both the only valid assumptions to make at this point), the end result is Dwight leaving a meaningfully chunk of change on the table, especially in gross, pre-tax dollars, no?

7. Two Sandwiches

In the game last night, you heard Ian Eagle and Greg Anthony talk about how the Rockets were trying to do what the Thunder do without as much talent. I think this is a great point. I also think we're close everywhere except in the frontcourt. While we don't have two legitimate superstars already, I think a superstar power forward would allow us the ability to compete with these guys, and everyone else, hence this thread.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

^ I'm pretty sure the poster meant "throw all the money" at Dwight. Or, "go all in."

9. Two Sandwiches

I meant risky as in going all in, and risking Dwight coming in as a prima-donna and screwing with the chemistry we've got going now.

10. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Dwight would satisfy so many needs for us.

1) Half-court option besides Harden/#2 option. An "easy buckets" guy.
    2) Big who can CATCH and finish looks from our perimeter players.
    3) Athletic front-court player who can run and compete on both ends.

But I think the underrated need for us that most seem to be overlooking is a DTA wing (as Morey puts it, standing for "defense-threes-athleticism"). We need an athlete on the perimeter off the bench who can defend, so Parsons doesn't burn out chasing the LeBrons/Durants for 40 mpg, and Harden isn't exposed by other perimeter weapons. Plus we just need to upgrade our overall athleticism, particularly for an uptempo team. Being able to hit threes is not as important as the other two characteristics, but it is somewhat of a prerequisite for our roster.

11. BamBam

BamBam Member

Truth is they have an extra gear we can only dream of. :(
    Getting Howard/Love would do wonders towards eliminating that extra gear!!

12. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Move on ... Dwight's not coming, esp. after Lakers embarassed us on last game of reg season. He will stay in LA.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Member

If you're implying Howard playing at PF next to Asik, that's not gonna work, which is fine, though, because you will be able to flip Asik for something of value the moment you put him on the trade market.

And, yes, of course you'd sign Howard if he wanted to come here. Zero hesitation. The "big gamble" part is overblown IMO. The guy is arguably the best center in basketball while playing hurt.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

LA is going to be embarassed by SA.

And with an aging Gasol, an aging (and currently injured) Kobe, ancient Nash, and a pretty bad bench, what reason would Dwight have to stay in LA?

If one had to pick between LA and Hou, in terms of being competitive in future playoffs, Houston would definitely surpass LA.

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

if dwight wasnt such an immature spoiled brat and had the mind frame of say a tim duncan, kobe, or even YAO, he could easily have been the most dominant player of this era next to bron. perhaps even more dominant like shaq because there are zero other big men and no one could stop him. he would have atleast 1 or 2 championships with duncans mind set. instead hes a baby that wants to pretend he has a post game and demands the ball down low when all he should be doing is focusing on how he can dominate using his strengths. rebounding, defense, and finishing around the rim..

for dwight to get over the hump, he needs to play with a dominant perimeter scorer who can penetrate at will (harden), and be surrounded with a stable of shooters to kick out to after boards.. if morey can build his foundation i have no doubts he can draft/trade for the perfect set of compliment players. with asik/lin gone thats and extra 16/year to work with to build around harden/dwight..

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

My dream scenario is to have a trade ready for Aldrige or Love involving Asik + Robinson and then signing Dwight to the Max in the mean time.

17. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

lol anybody who think Asik is better than Dwight is a fool

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I laughed watching Asik pump fake 7,000 times in the paint and still getting his shot blocked. Asik has STD (scared to death) syndrome of Ibaka and Perkins. Greg Smith looked like a doe in headlights.

If we as fans can't see the need for Dwight then we're truly blind to the truth. U can beat OKC 2 ways with a LeBron (not going to happen) or a Dwight (an opportunity). Dwight can't win in LA without Harden and trading Gasol will not get him anything significant to compete with OKC. Dwight and James need each other to beat OKC, Clips, Denver, and Memphis.

19. DieHard Rocket

Dwight will be target 1, 2, and 3 this offseason.

Once that option has been exhausted, I think the only other big move Morey will consider is Pau Gasol or in a very unlikely scenario Kevin Garnett (don't think Boston will move him yet). If he can get Millsap at a bargain basement price and very team friendly terms, maybe that's an option. Josh Smith seems as anti-Morey as any guy in the league.

Pau just makes too much sense and would be a nice get for this team. Expiring contract, post presence, shouldn't be a huge market for him and we can absorb his salary. Very valuable trade piece at the deadline should Kevin Love come available, or you re-sign him for cheap in 2014 as a fall-back plan. Would add at least 5 wins to this team and I'm sure McHale would be very happy to have a veteran big man.

20. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

theyre the lakers, dwight stays, its only a matter of time before so and so start flocking to LA to sign with dwight and some scrub team trades their best player for nothing to aid LAs title hopes..

dont underestimate the nbas willingness to bend over backwards to accommodate the los angeles lakers..