1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knee Surgery - Any advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ehsan, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I had surgery 6 months ago. Incompetent doctored didn't fix or acknowledge my ACL tear. I have to do that now. I got 2 opinions:

- Do it immediately
    - STRENGTHEN your knee for a month BEFORE surgery

I have never ever heard of pre-surgery rehab. I'm doing my research now, but does anyone have any knowledge of this?

I need the help guys. It's a complete tear of the ACL wand will require reconstruction, probably with a bone-tendon-bone method.

HELP!!

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Malpractice?

3. danny317

danny317 Member

what was the first surgery for?

maybe he didnt fix it bc he was afraid he'd be sued for performing a procedure that the patient didnt agree to? :confused:

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the failed surgery is moot and the question is about rehab. i've had 2 ACL reconstructions so i know a bit about rehab....sadly. it's pretty simple just use the smith machine. light weight and a lot of reps. set the weight for the workout so that your sets are 2 to 3 minutes. has your quad atrophied significantly? mine did and it took forever for me to get the muscles to work properly. my vastus medialis weakened to the point where my knee cap was getting pulled a little to the side by the stronger muscles. i had to work to make sure that i was getting that muscle to fire when i did my workouts.

also, do not do leg extensions. just do the squats on the smith machine and you will be good.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I had ONE knee surgery. My knees (both) haven't been the same since. :( I failed to properly do therapy, and now I regret it. I would say FIX IT NOW... unless you're really disciplined and want to strengthen it, in which case you'd have to do leg-holds (sit on your booty, rest on elbows, pick up leg for 30 seconds) from then on.

:( Just follow the doctor's and nurses' orders after the surgery, and you'll be oK. Good luck with whichever one you choose, man. :eek:

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

As someone who's torn both ACLs and been through rehab, I'd recomened doing the surgery immediately. There's going to be muscle atrophy after the operation, so I'm not sure why one would bother building up muscles that are going to atrophy anyway.

Unless you still have so much atrophy left over from the surgery 6 months ago? What does the doctor recommend?

7. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I would ask a physician or doctor, not people on a message board with no medical background.

8. Asian Sensation

Speaking of knees I need some advice as well. I know I need to get an MRI to really be able to tell..... but on Thanksgiving day I hurt my knee playing in a turkey bowl. I didn't think much of it but every time I play basketball it swells up. I can still walk fine and if I just run straight ie (treadmill) than it doesn't swell up as bad but it still looks messed up. I haven't been working for the last couple of months so I've delayed the MRI but I recently took a new position so the first thing I will do is get an MRI. I am fearing for the worst news though and I'm not looking forward to it. Anybody have a prognosis? Thanks.

9. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I hope you're not going on the advice of Keith Jones