1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KMart Morey's first option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mike_lu, Feb 18, 2010.

1. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Just wondering what you guys think.

Was KMart Morey's first option, or Knicks/Bulls deal first option and KMart fall back? Would Morey have preferred Iggy? Was the KMart deal always available or was it a last day desperate move (as Knicks/Bulls options fizzled)?

2. avichai148

avichai148 Member

for the very last !!#!#! Kmart is Kenyon Martin ! NOT KEVIN :p

3. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Before we even see Kevin Martin's performance with the Rockets, we ain't no need to say he's DM's first option or not, until then we'll see how it pans out. Maybe it's a success or it just fizzles out rapidly.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

here's what i think happened. Morey wanted martin all along and initially went to Sac to ask for him...sac said they werent willing to trade him anymore and tmac's contract wasnt what they wanted, they wanted a young talent, possibly high picks...morey probably knew at that point he could give up landry, but thought he could get more value out of tmac's contract from a desperate team like NY, maybe chicago...so he went to deal with them, hoping to flip their guys to sac for martin. Problem is Chi backed out and NYdidnt budge on the protection on their picks. therefore Morey had to go back to his first option.

It wouldnt surprise me if houston and sac agreed on a direct deal a long time ago and sac agreed to keep martin away from trade talks and pretty much wait it out until houston came back....Adelman prob still has some connections there..

1 person likes this.
  5. Karolik

Karolik Member

A better question is....How much did Morey want this deal? This trade is so unmoreylike I have to question it. How much did Rick Adelman and others..pressure him into doing this trade?

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Martin was the guy I heard all along and Clutch continued to say they "WANTED" this guy...I say YES. If they truly offered TMAC/Bud for Iggy/Dalembert then they imagined this wasn't going to be an option but hoped it would.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I think the options were the following:

1. Martin
    2. Iggy
    3. Knicks/Bulls

What I think is even more amazing about this deal is that Morey was able to do it without taking back bad contracts.

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I dont care what option he was, to trade Landry for him..... :( i'll still wait til a final deal is clarified etc, but right now personally, I'm just .....

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think this move is definitely all morey. He got a guy at less than 13 mill a yr, someone who's worth it yet on a small enough contract to trade if it doesnt work, much more difficult than if u had someone at 15-16 or more, plus he got the other half in expirings instead of wasting it

10. Alief

Alief Member

I don't think this deal was ever a fall back on the Rockets part, I just think that Martin was not available from Sac's perspective. It is possible that he was availabe for Landry but the Rockets were hoping to do better but I doubt it, don't have any proof obviously, just my opinion...

11. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Regardless of Martin being the first option or not here was this trade does.

No more wasted cash!!!

With the NY deal we end up with $7 MIL of wasted money. At least with players like Cook coming off the books as well as the others that we will be receiving a fresh Yao and hopefully a new free agent next years Rockets could be contenders and hopefully not pretenders.

Next Years team could look like this
    Yao Ming         $17,686,100
    Kevin Martin      $11,100,005
    Shane Battier    $7,354,500
    Trevor Ariza     $6,322,320
    Luis Scola*        $5,000,000
    David Andersen $2,500,000
    Chuck Hayes    $2,301,250
    Kyle Lowry       $2,975,164
    Aaron Brooks    $2,016,691
    Chase Budinger   $900,000
    Jermaine Taylor   $780,871
    Total             $58,836,901

* Luis Scola will be a free agent so I'm just hoping that $5 MIL will be enough for the first year of his contract.

#11 caffreys_irish_ale, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

How is Martin coming off the books and how come his salary isn't in that list?

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

UHM Martin is not a free agent at the end of the season...

14. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Yes, I realized that right after I posted. Thanks.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Completely agree. This deal was in Morey's back pocket the whole time and when things didn't go the way he wanted with NY/Chicago he decided to cash it in.

What is funny is how NYC panicked and is trying to get back in. They must have peed their pants when they saw Morey actually did have an ace up his sleeve and didn't HAVE to deal with them.

16. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

considering this Kmart trade was basically the rumor way bak when, Id have to say yes, I think so

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

No big deal. I'm just trying to keep up with everything. I wasn't sure what you were getting at.

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The funny thing is that NY is now screwed unless they can pull something off by 3:00 today.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Morey did not go after K Mart !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

20. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Adelman was behind this trade....let's listen in...

Petrie: "Hello?"
    Adelman: "Hey Mr Petrie, it's me your buddy here. Can you ship my baby Martin over to Houston...my team need someone to replace TWACK!"
    Petrie: "Excuse me?"
    Adelman: "DO IT NOW!!"
    Petrie: "Yes sir, right away. What do you have there?"
    Adelman: "How about some Carl Jr plus some fries and BIGMAC"
    Petrie: "NICEEE..I love burgers...it's a done deal."