1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ's comments on Dunk on Hakeem Celebration in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I am in Phoenix at the moment was watching the pre game with KJ, Chambers, Eddie Johnson and their local commentator and KJ had some interesting words about the dunk.

This is a bit of paraphrasing because I don't remember it exactly.

The commentator was hyping up the dunk a lot and the whole celebration. He turned to KJ and said, "Did you have a chance to tell Hakeem about this day?"

KJ gave him a look and said, "I actually saw him in New Orleans, and I wouldn't dare mention it. I don't have the nerve. What could I say? I still remember him trailing me and seeing his shadow coming from behind and blocking me and saying, No No No KJ. Also they have championships and went through us."

It was obvious the Suns just needed something to celebrate because the truth of the matter is that he knows there is not much to it since the Rockets won the series and the championship. Does he really want to hang his hat on dunk?

I think he handled it well and knew better than to make a big deal because we got the last laugh.

Just thought you guys wouldn't mind a little chuckle.

2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Kevin Johnson's dunk was amazing. Sucks it was on the Dream, but that was a good dunk. It wasn't his idea to make a game night dedicated for the dunk, but it's whatever. That was 2 decades ago and the Rockets got 2 championships out of it.

3. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Classy.

Always respected his game.. This whole ridiculous celebration obviously isn't his idea. He knows he'd trade that dunk for the series win and title.

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Is KJ HOF?

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

KJ is a classy guy and was one helluva player.

I still remember how there were talks that Rockets could bring in KJ or Derek Haprer to team up with Clyde, Hakeem, and Charles.

Instead the Rockets visited the local YMCA and signed Matt Maloney.

6. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

mayor johnson, classy as always.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I like KJ. He was a great player, and very classy guy.

8. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Should be. Anyone who played the All-Time fantasy games with me during the lockout would've have seen the adoration I had for this guys talent. He was freakish!

9. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

The fact that they make a whole day to commemorate it is because of how good Hakeem was. No one remembers when the likes of someone like Matt Geiger or Oliver Miller got dunked on. But if you get a good one in on Hakeem, they remember it 20 years later. I'm fine with this really.

1 person likes this.
  10. Marteen

Marteen Member

Video to the dunk in case anyone hasn't seen it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oVcSndz52DE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

KJ reminds Dream of the dunk and Dream just flashes his two championship rings.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He'd be a shoo-in had he not been so injury prone in his career. Don't forget that during the 1994-95 season when we beat them a second time in the playoffs, he missed a ton of games early on and Elliot "Socks" Perry started in his place.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

KJ is one of the forgotten greats, his career basically stopped at 30, so he didn't have longevity. He was basically Chris Paul in the early 90's, dude was a beast.

As for the ceremony, if i were phoenix i would try to forget those series altogether.

14. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

then hakeem got his payback...

[youtube]aS25dibHOR0[/youtube]

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

what bugs me the most, they didn't even WIN that game... they were losing by 10 with less than 3 mins to go in that game where the Rockets tied the series 2-2....

16. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

KJ didn't make this dunk famous, Hakeem did. It's a cool play, but come on... if you're gonna celebrate something, at least pick someone who deserves it. There's no "Vince Carter jumping over a human" dunk celebration night.

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

KJ seems like a nice guy

HOWEVER, I wanted to punch him when I saw him dunk on Hakeem that game. Forgive me, my emotions were high watching that game 20 years ago lol

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So in 10 years is every night at Clippers home games going to be "Griffin Dunk Celebration Night"?

I mean the dunk was cool, but come on... they lost the game, and Hakeem got him back pretty bad which probably made the bigger statement when its all said & done.

There just isn't enough home games a year for the Rockets to celebrate memorable dunks or moments of former players in the past.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I honestly feel like they were celebrating Dream more than KJ. They were essentially proclaiming that their greatest achievement as a franchise was the moment KJ managed to dunk on the greatest shot blocker (and possibly even the greatest center) of all time. They are proclaiming that Dream was so great that it didn't even matter they didn't win the game or the series. Dream was so great that just managing to dunk on him once is pretty much as good as a championship to them. Maybe even better -because I don't recall us celebrating the twenty year anniversary of winning the championship.

1 person likes this.