1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ McDaniels and his Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am 100% sure I have watched more 76ers games this season than the highlight you watched in Sportscenter about the 76ers.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just don't see it. I think he ends up with a 2-3 year deal making $5-10 million.

Teams could have easily locked him up for 4 years + RFA by drafting him just 2 spots earlier. While he may have put up some not horrific stats on a terrible team, that's not enough to make a big 4 year offer. He has not really shown anything in the NBA that we didn't know before he was drafted:

He's still a good defender.
    He's still fast.
    He's still long.
    He's can still jump.
    And he still can't shoot or handle the ball.

Not much has really changed for him.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Exactly. To pay a big contract teams want to see skills. And right now he's too raw.
    Not that he can't develop them, and I hope he does but until then 15 millions is a joke.
    ESP since there will be sooooo many RFA and UFA in 2016 that teams will rush to get THEM not someone you pay like a vet to develop yourself.

4. NotChandlerParsons

I don't know what kind of offers he will get, but it only takes one stupid desperate GM to ruin the whole thing. Chandler Parsons gets 11m a year now.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

People just don't realize the main reason he accepted a one year deal with the 76ers.

HE DID NOY WANT TO STAY THERE.

Nobody will want to stay in this current team if you are rational and at least value yourself could be a good NBA player.

He wants out, hence he signed a one year deal to get out.

Doesn't mean he is valuing himself to get a fat contract the next year.

In reality, if he can get a team he likes and give him a late first round 3-4 years contract, he should be very happy about it.

I think there will be teams out there giving him a contract for 2+1 (team option), average 1-1.5 mil.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You are comparing him to Parsons?

Come on now.

7. NotChandlerParsons

I'm not comparing him as a player to Parsons at all. I'm saying all it takes is for one guy to think that KJ McDaniels is going to come in and save his job and he could get a big fat offer.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Whether Cuban overpaid Parsons is another issue.

At least he saw what Parsons had done in the Rockets for 3 full years.

KJ? don't kid yourself.

He will be sitting at the end of the bench at best for most of the remaining season.

If you are expecting a second round rookie from one of the worse teams in the league to play a major role in this Rockets team, you should probably go ahead and ask Les to fire Morey.

9. malakas

malakas Member

I don't care how bad Philly is. This is the freaking NBA. The best basketball league in the world. He is a second round pick rookie with no amazing skills except his athletism.
    Props to his agent and him for betting on himself but this attitude is not a compliment. Lucky it worked now but it could end very bad and if he ends up be so arrogant and wants to leave teams because he doesn't like them he won't go much ahead.
    He should look more to develop himself and get better than having his mother and him critising teams.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Yeah, the more I've thought about this trade the better I like it. KJ will get scraps for minutes the rest of the year and then become a RFA. The Rockets will try to re-sign him for cheap or he can take the tender. I'm sure there are teams that would want him, but they are limited in what they can offer him and nobody is going to blow up their own offseason chasing him. He hasn't shown THAT much promise. It's not like people think he can become a superstar.

Right now he's a young Corey Brewer. No one is going to go hard to get him which means Morey will be able to keep him at a good price.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Yeah I think people are going to get a little too fixated on the Lin & Asik contracts & getting scared off at this situation, but completely different situations, players, and entirely different market for THAT TYPE of player.

-Asik was projected by Morey as a top 5 defensive anchor center in the league. Those come at a premium, and there are few ways to obtain them. Morey found a glitch.

-Lin was paid due to star ability. Had Lin not been the draw he was, he'd be offered a normal salary below the mid level if not bi-annual money.

Unfortunately for KJ, he's almost surely going to be pigeon holed along with other available defensive minded athletic 2's/3's in free agency & he is adding in the variability of risk with inexperience and data to back consistency.

Here are some market comparables signed recently-

-B. Bogdonovic- 3.4 per
    -K. Papanikolaou- 4.75 per
    -James Johnson - 2.5 per
    -Q. Pondexter - 3.5 per
    -N. Young - 5.4 per
    -Z. Dragic - 1.7 per
    -N. Mirotic - 5.5 per
    -J. Meeks - 6.3 per
    -M. Williams - 7 per
    -L. Stephenson - 9.1 per
    -A. Burks - 10 per

These are basically players that are being paid based on what GM's project with some risk that they WILL BE in this contract. Lots of unknowns here just like with KJ going into free agency.

So how do we think GM's bidding for KJ will price out his contract offer? Probably by taking a list similar to this, and coming up with an average price right?

You take the average and you come to basically a base line mid level number of 5.4 mil per.

I know everyone is scared KJ will get a Jeremy Lin type of contract offer and the Rockets will lose a good prospect for nothing, but I think unless something crazy happens, worst case scenario, the Rockets could be looking at getting a bargain deal with KJ in free agency either this Summer, or the following Summer. With the unknowns of Brewer coming back, and the fact that the Rockets will probably have to either part with Ariza to make cap space or he will decline.... Its great to have KJ McDaniels here now under this salary situation even though it would better if he was locked up on a rookie deal.

However if he was locked up on a rookie deal, there is no way the Rockets would have been able to acquire him this year.