1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ McDaniels and his Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Feb 19, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Member

What? KJ and his agent already rejected Hinkie to take a QO for an unguaranteed year.

Did I miss something? You sound like Hinkie.

The agent already convinced his client to take one QO. Surely the goal is to do it again with a full guaranteed one-year if his client's RFA offers aren't satisfying.

What? what am I missing?

aelliott, am I missing something?

Do y'all GMs not see how an agent convinced a second rounder to break the mold and become UFA in the fastest route possible, to prove a point?

2. malakas

malakas Member

lol Hinkie haha
    The agent was smart and good for him and good for KJ on having the balls to bet on himself.
    However imo what you are missing is PHILLY.
    In philly everyone with a drop of an actual talent is hyped and stands out. His stats are padded and the spotlight is on them.
    It is imo, one thing to take the QO to play in Philly , with revolving D-leaguers teamates and another to play in an actual team - even more a contender as the Rockets, where you won't stand out .

3. heypartner

heypartner Member

I didn't say he was going to take the QO. I said he will if his RFA prospects fizzle this summer. At that point, take the QO for $750k guaranteed one-year and try again with full UFA the following.

Are you guys following me here? The agent seems to have spelled it out with this unprecedented rejection of 2nd round contract.

You guys are thinking like a GM, when the player and agent clearly are making a statement against standard GM tactics to screw them.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I think the modus operandi of the agent and the player is dependant on the circumstances and also if his RFA prospects fizzle in the summer then why it makes sense to become UFA the next summer...a summer when half the NBA will be a FA and he will be only an afterthought?
    Every single team will go after more proved and better players not someone like KJ who is screwing GMs and doesn't -imo- have the talent to justify the trouble.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Member

Well, I don't have your authority, I just have what I read in the cbafaq, which is this:

So, if this strategy wouldn't work for a second round pick with a 2 year contract, why will it work for a second round pick with a 1 year contract?

#45 WinkFan, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  6. heypartner

heypartner Member

Making NBA minimum for two years to become UFA vs being screwed by NBA GMs if you turn into the next underpaid long term fool who pans out.

And you say that's unlikely?

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

can a qualifying offer be involved in a sign and trade?

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Ariza was once that late 1st/2nd round pick that, while regarded for his length and athletism, couldn't shoot at all when he came into the league. I think in his first couple of years, he only shot a total of 5 threes.

KJ is someone that is probably more athletic than Ariza and is working on his three point shot. Wouldn't be surprised if he supplant Ariza in a couple of years.

9. malakas

malakas Member

yes you have to pay your dues to get the $. What has Kj done? Nothing so far.
    Just some pretty blocks and highlights in Philly where Sims and Jakaar Sampson have found a roster spot.
    Let's see how he looks in an actual NBA team in the WEST that has championship aspirations before we pin him down as the "fool who pans out".
    And let's see after him getting exposed as an extremely raw player with serious flaws (but with still upside) if he will take the risk and if he will dare to try the market. Who will even pay him in 2016 when with the same money you could pay a good vet that can bring you wins and serious contributions right now.
    Contracts matter and when Kj is paid like a 3year vet and not a 3 year rookie I'm wondering who will be lining up to sign him.

10. aelliott

aelliott Member

The way I read it, as long as the Rockets keep making qualifying offers then he'll be a restricted free agent until he has 3 years in the league. That's the "Tenure requirement" referenced in your quote of the Coon FAQ.

Now if the Rockets didn't make him a qualifying offer then he'd be a free agent but not otherwise.

That's my take but it's easy enough to verify with Larry Coon. As you know he responds very quickly to email questions.

#50 aelliott, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  11. HR Dept

HR Dept Member

Imagine how he would've felt had he not have been traded then and eventually dumped later to the Blazers for the rights to some guy named Papanikolaou.

Then his first thought would've been PoppaNikaWhat???!

12. aelliott

aelliott Member

I interpret it differently (see my previous post above).

I don't believe that the reason for taking the 1 year deal was to make him an UFA as soon as possible. I believe that they went that route so that he got paid at a higher rate starting his second season.

He could have accepted the four year deal but then he'd be locked into a fairly low salary for 4 years (see Parsons rookie deal). He's betting on himself impressing teams enough that he will make substantially more starting his second season. It won't be max type money but it will be a lot better than the $1M that Parsons was locked in for.

The risk to him is that he doesn't have the guaranteed money that Parsons had for 4 years. If he washed out after his rookie year then he'd lose those next 3 years. He's betting on himself and he'll likely make substantially more for his gamble.

Let's say that he signs for $3M average for the next 3 seasons. That's $9M for years 2 through 4. If he'd gone with the Parson's contract his whole 4 year deal would have been worth less than $4M.

I think that he just wanted to maximize his payday regardless of who's paying him.

13. Sooty

Sooty Member

did it for ya! gold

14. heypartner

heypartner Member

Yep, takes three QOs, each one puts the power with the agent, until the player increases value who still gets 125% increases per QO, no?. Until then, why sign a bad RFA contract. I was off my a year. I was wrong.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Are you kidding yourself now?

Do you really believe he will get much minutes in this current Rockets lineup?

Will the Rockets rely on a second round rookie whose playing OK but with "possible great potential" to help us in the playoff drive late in the season?

Put down whatever you are smoking now.

Get real, will he actually getting AVG 10 plus minutes for the remaining of the season in HOU?

If not, which team and base on what to give a guy a poison pill or even close to 3-4 mils per whose a second round pick and did not even play much after the trade?

Most likely he won't even get more minutes than Kpap for the remaining of the season, and you believe any team out there will be so thrill to give Kpap a new contract also?

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

3 words : Troy Daniel's contract.

Take note : Not comparing him to Troy Daniels the player, but how much Troy got from his deal.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Um, not gonna happen. McDaniels will end up getting $15 million over 4 years or something.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep, I'm with aelliott on this one (as I am on pretty much everything).

Also, the bolded hypothetical contract/situation aelliott describes above is EXACTLY what ended up happening with Carl Landry and the Rockets!

While the circumstances leading up to Landry's one-year rookie deal were different (the Rockets had too many guaranteed deals in 2007 and didn't want to offer Landry a longer-term guaranteed contract), the consequences were the same. Landry (the 31st pick in the 2007 draft) ended up surprising the league and had a very good second half to his rookie season.

When Landry hit restricted free agency in 2008, the Rockets did their best to chill the bidding on him, telling other teams that they'd match any offer. Eventually, Landry ended up getting a 3-year, $9 million offer sheet from Charlotte. He signed it, the Rockets matched, and the rest is history.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Best analytics I have ever seen.

Yeah and somehow all 30 picks in the first round say no to him.

And somehow a few months later, while sitting near the end of the bench in the Rockets (assuming he won't be sent down to the Vipers), some teams out there will give him a 4 years guaranteed deal for 15 mils.

LOL

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

you clearly havent seen him play. Some team will take a flyer on him and offer him a 4 year 15m type deal. Thats a good deal for a player who could be Iggy-lite