1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen knife recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rileydog, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Hey CF Chefs and skilled home cooks - I’m looking to replace a chefs knife and wanted to hear your recommendations and experiences. I’ve been reading about japanese v German knives, sharpness, hardness, holding edge, easiness to maintain and sharpen. Shun v Wüsthof. Kramer zwilling chef knife. I’d love to try japanese or Damascus carbon steel, but worried about work required to sharpen. Maybe it’s not that big a deal and folks here can educate me,

for reference, I use a Wüsthof sankotu knife w hollowed edge and an old old Henkels chefs knife that has seen better days. It’s easy enough for me to use a honing rod fairly regularly and I hve one of those electric sharpeners with two wheels that spin and sharpen.

I’m a pretty good home cook and am willing to spend some money on a good chefs knife ... if I would notice the difference. Plus knives are just kind of cool.

2. Buck Turgidson

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

One of my good friends grew up wealthy in Germany, is a snob when it comes to knives for cooking and stabbing (he's also a weapons nut), and is a physicist who specializes in light and sound. Needless to say, he's very, very smart. I asked him what his go-to knife was and his instant answer was this one, which surprised me since it's Japanese and not German. I trust him so much that I ordered one on the spot for my wife for her birthday in a few weeks.

Shun Classic 6” Utility Knife with Ebony PakkaWood Handle and Strong VG-MAX Cutting Core; Blade Size Versatile for Trimming, Peeling and Sectioning; Innovative and Contemporary Design

[​IMG]

Rileydog likes this.
  4. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Depends on what “good money” means.

Wusthof make very sturdy knives. I’ve had a 12in chefs knife for around 10 years. Dropped it multiple times and all that happened was I knicked the handle. But 12in is pretty damn big so it doesn't get too much love as it used too.

I personally don't like the feel of Shuns, I have two different ones and don't use them as much if at all.

Globals are trash in my opinion. Hate the handle.

I have bought a couple knives from this place based in NYC:
    https://www.korin.com

You should check out these out too
    https://www.rosecityknifeworks.com

https://www.weigeknives.com (made in Austin). One of the EC's I work with has a knife by him, he can do full custom if you got the cash

https://www.houstonedgeworks.com

Search MenchacaSensei in IG he's a Houston local that makes knives at his house. Some are really cool, he uses reclaimed metals a lot of times.

There are a couple more but I cant seem to find them right now on the IG. If I do Ill post em.

Your gonna want a kick ass cutting board to go with your kick ass new knife.

May I recommend:

Monnier Woodcraft

Rileydog and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I would also say if you get a higher end knife to please not use the electric sharpener. Get a couple a varying sharping stone grits and learn how to do it that way. As you have researched, the hard the steel the longer the edge, the harder and longer it is to sharpen. I personally prefer these kind of knives.

The Korin link that I posted above has stones. Just do research on different grits and see what amazon has also.

Rileydog and calurker like this.
  6. SuraGotMadHops

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Cutco has some good knives, theres a store on 1960 and Champions that sells them and they sharpen knives as well, I also have some Wusthof that are pretty good

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I'd love to get a set of Yoshihiro knives.

9. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Disagree about globals, they are fantastic knives if you like weighted handle.

many Japanese knife from Sakai prefecture in Osaka is the way to go. Hands down the best. Check out Jikko knives. Phenomenal handmade blades. Picked up a few when I was in Osaka last year. Not cheap but that edge is impeccable. Not matter what you buy, treat good knives well - no dishwasher, don’t store them with other utensils where you can bang them and ruin the edge etc. invest in some ceramic stones to sharpen them and get a good honing rod.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

seems like you’re a pro. I’ve been doing some research. as to the sharpening stone, I plan to get a chosera 800 and maybe 3000. A lot of positive reviews and I think I’ll prefer splash and go. welcome any advice you have and thoughts on those products. I don’t know if I’ll even need the 3000, but I’m the sort that could enjoy the sharpening process, which seems like a bit of an art.

as for the knife, I’m still all over the place. I want japanese for sure. SG2 knives run between $250-300 it seems, which is high but I’m treating this as a 10 year buy, so that’s ok. I don’t know if it’s a lot better than the VG10 in performance, durability, etc. I’m a good home cook, but I don’t know I’ll notice the difference. I do like craftsmanship generally and wouldn’t mind paying just for that. I am trying to figure out of there’s any downside to SG2 vs VG10.

im also trying to figure out whether I want a more traditional chef/gyoto that can rock some, or a burka that’s a straight up push cut knife. I’ve been looking hard at the Enso 7inch bunka to replace my 8inch chef knife, but the bunka is push cut only and I’m wondering if it’s too limiting. I do have a Wusthof 5 inch sankotu that is pretty decent and I’m worried the bunka is duplicative.

Miyabi has a pretty looking birch wood gyoto/chef knife. And shun is everywhere.

Like I said, I’m all over the map except I know I want to try japanese. All thoughts and advice welcome.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They still sell that GLH Formula #9 over there?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I have this. It’s a good knife. A bit slippery for my taste and I still prefer the cheap wooden handle knives you can get at any Asian supermarket for daily use. Learn to sharp it yourself and it’s almost as sharp.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So... what knives does Tilman use at Landry's?

15. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Samurai Plus, mi caracol.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

OJ would say the gloves are the biggest portion of any knife choice

17. Buck Turgidson

Don't forget the Bruno Maglis.

18. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Wüsthof Classic 10" Extra Wide Cook's Knife - This is the knife I've been using for 15 years and have never sharpened it once (I do use an edge to hone the blade though). Wüsthof 8" and 10" cook's knives were recommended as your main goto knife by my teacher when I took a knife skills class at the Institute of Culinary Education back in the day.

https://www.wusthof.com/collections...of-classic-10-extra-wide-cooks-knife-4584-726

Rileydog likes this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I still rock my nenox's

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Soon to be vilified by the movement obligatory smart ass answer by photo (apologies in advance):

[​IMG]