1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kiss of Death] Mario Elie an assistant coach with the Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dr of Dunk, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I saw this yesterday and forgot to post it - apparently Westphal has hired Elie as an assistant coach for those of you who follow the kissing death bandit :

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/06/22/kings.coaches.ap/index.html

---------------------------------

Mario Elie among three new assistant coaches for Kings

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- New Sacramento Kings coach Paul Westphal hired Mario Elie, Jim Eyen and Leonard "Truck" Robinson as his assistant coaches Monday night.

Westphal also retained 78-year-old assistant Pete Carril, the Hall of Fame coach from Princeton who has been affiliated with the Kings for much of the past 13 years.

Elie, a three-time NBA champion as a player, has been an assistant coach in Dallas, Golden State and San Antonio. He spent the last two seasons with the Mavericks while Westphal was an assistant coach and an executive in Dallas.

"He was one of the first guys that I targeted," Westphal said. "He's going to really help us with his defensive intensity."

Eyen is an 18-year NBA coaching veteran, spending most of his years working under Mike Dunleavy during stints with four franchises. He spent the past six seasons on the Los Angeles Clippers' bench.

Robinson was Westphal's teammate in Phoenix and New York during an 11-year playing career. He spent last season as a scout for Washington, but has never coached in the NBA.

Westphal said Carril, the winningest coach in Ivy League history, will be "the one we all learn from."

"He'll be around quite a bit," Westphal said. "He won't travel to all the games, but he'll be a presence at practice, home games and meetings."

2. durvasa

durvasa Member

I thought Elie was going to be the head coach. I could have sworn that's what I heard on 1560 like a week ago.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

An original Rocket Hero.

Horry, Cassell (himself now an assistant), Kenny Smith, Thorpe

I'll never have anything bad to say about these guys.

4. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Good for Mario. Hope one day He becomes a head coach.

5. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Speaks to the character and quality of those mid 90's championship teams. Elie and Cassell are assistant coaches, Kenny is an analyst for TNT, Clyde was UH's coach(even though it was a short tenure :D ) and is currently a Rockets broadcaster. Horry may as well become an assistant coach of affiliate of a team in the future and Hakeem could certainly be a big man's coach but is busy devoting his life to religion.

Great minds as well as basketball talent on those teams.

6. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget Scotty Brooks, head coach of the Thunder.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Westphal/Elie make a solid tandem. Unfortunately for them the Maloof's go through coaches like Bonzi goes through donuts.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Or for that matter, Chris Jent, assistant coach for the Cavs.