1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kirk Snyder: "Houston is where I did a lot of growing as a player and man"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OrangeRowdy95, Mar 25, 2008.

1. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I don't know him well enough to say he is or is not intelligent, but I'm definitely happy for him to be playing some minutes. I really liked him, and wanted him to play for our team. I guess the coaching staff felt differently. Anyway, good for Kirk. I hope he has a good game against us Wednesday as long as we win :)

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I never thought he was a good fit for our team but we initially got him for nothing.

He couldn't shoot and thats what we really needed.

It always amazes me at how much people like players who couldn't get on the court. I'm guilty of it too but its just weird when you think about all the nice things people have to say about Snyder, Novak, V-span, Green, etc. and all of the bad things people say about Alston, tmac, and yao.

3. kwng

kwng Member

If he thinks he owes a lot of his skills to Rockets, I just hope he will not get a
    BIG game against us.

4. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

That's why I LOVE the chemistry of this Rockets organization. No knuckleheads.

Remember Kirk Snyder before he came to Houston? The immature guy that played for the Utah Jazz? The same dude that taunted the Rockets bench a couple of years ago during a game in Utah. I remember that game. Jeff Van Gundy went insane after what he did and Jerry Sloan was LIVID after he taunted the Rockets.

Good to see that he grew up and got his act together while he was with the Rockets.

5. Nero

Nero Member

Well, in all fairness, not many people are saying good things about VMac these days.

In any case, it is a refreshingly nice thing to see the fans, especially on this board, being as classy in their regard for Kirk as they are. I feel the same - he always seemed like a good soldier, and it's a shame he couldn't get on the floor for us, because he clearly is a very good athlete, and probably has a nice long future in this league ahead of him.

Good Luck Kirk (just not against us)

6. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I think he did a lot of growing. He was very responsible in his time here, and he took his role like a professional. I hope he plays well and gets a major contract from someone like the Knicks and then his life is set.

The guy was a savage athlete.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I wish he had been able to apply himself in Houston. I'm glad he is doing a good job for the Wolves.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

There should have been 30mins in houston for him. 15 behind tracy and shane to keep size and defense at that spot. I think the rox could use 10-5 48%fg off the bench.

9. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Jeff's kept in touch with a lot of players since he left, particularly Rafer, Yao, Tracy.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He had failed tours in New Orleans and Utah before us, and was unceremoniously dumped due to immaturity in both cases.

11. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

Real down-to-earth guy, especially off the court. I can definitely see what he means by "growing as a man" from meeting him in person. Kirk's a good guy.

12. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

I hope he has a great career. I never once heard him complain about not getting any playing time.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Good luck to Kirk. He never complained or misbehaved while in Houston.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

wasn't he supposedly put in van gundy's doghouse after a incident during a training session?

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

why do folks say snyder isnt smart???

i've seen him take ill-advised shots but thats it.

if thats tha reason, then we have a few not-so-smart players on our squad...

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Wish him the best. The only annoying thing was when everyone on here kept posting that dunk he did while he was a Hornet.

17. MD_in_Training

The release of Kirk Snyder is and always will be puzzling to me, especially from a basketball standpoint. This team is really itching for a big guard who can match up defensively against some of the more physical 2s of the game. The management knows this and it's evident by our pickup of Bobby Jones. Unless there is something we don't know about Kirk, I don't think it was wise on our part to get rid of a minimum salary player who fits our needs for a young journeyman who would never make our roster.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

The point is that he was in one of the better environments to learn and grow as a player. Imagine how much more he gained in Houston than if he was stuck playing for a team like the Knicks.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

process of elimination.
    ie...smart players with that much athleticism generally don't sit on the bench.

i mean, name one.

20. jlwee

jlwee Member

I still believe if JVG had played Synder some minutes during last year playoffs against the Jazz, the rockets could have won the series! :(