1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kirby Vacuum Cleaners?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bottlerocket, May 16, 2006.

1. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Does any know anything about the quality of a Kirby Vacuum cleaners?
    I just move into a new house about month ago & about 3 weeks ago we had a sales person offer us a free demo of the Kirby vacuum. The Kirby appeared to be more superior to my $40 Dirt Devil. They do not sell them in stores but thru sales reps. The price tag was $995. Naturally, I said thanks, but no thanks. Just wanted to know if they are worth $1k? They said they have life warranty.

2. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Dyson > *

and you won't be paying extra for the commision of the sales rep.

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

$1000 for a vacuum is never worth it

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I hear the suction is top-notch.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

My dad was a Kirby distributor many years ago. He was the one of the leading guys in the state in terms of sales. He won a Cadillac and a Lincoln Continental back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Kirby's are great vacuums, but as mentioned very expensive.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Oreck rocks.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If you are willing to spend the money, at least take a look at the Rainbow too. I'm baised but I feel it is a much better product.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Dirt Devil and Eureka are 2 vacuum cleaners that I'd stay away from. For me, it starts at Hoover and goes up from there. $1000 for a Kirby? No thanks. You can spend half of that and get a Dyson. Or spend half of a Dyson and get a Hoover.

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

if your willing to spend some $$$, then go with that.

I had a buddy back in college who sold them door to door. We used to have him bring his sample to our house and have him vaccum everything in site. We even vaccumed our mattresses, rugs, entrance way areas, you'd be suprised how much crap it sucked up...

those things definately suck

10. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Kirby's last forever, and their basic design has not changed much at all over the years. If you like the Kirby, find a good vacuum repair shop and buy one used.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I have one. Paid ~800 new for it with the door-to-door salesman. Still going strong after 4 years. No complaints. Not as shiny as when new, but it's what it does that's worth it.

It DRIVES itself and makes vacuuming easy, even for us dudes or whipped husbands, whatever you want to call it.

I used to be the one to do the entire house with it, and when I was out for a week, my wife once did the entire house without putting it on DRIVE. She complained to me:
    "how do YOU do it? It's HEAVY!!!"
    "Did you put this little lever on DRIVE?"
    "Oh. NO. :eek:"

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We had a lady come by our house a few years ago to demo a vacuum. It was an awesome machine.... $2500 bucks. NO THANKS... but I wanted one!

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I sold them for a very short period of time over 20 years ago. Much of the demo is a farce. I won't go into detail. Do not buy one. They are good vacuum cleaners but aren't worth the money.

On 2nd thought: If you have more money than sense, buy one.

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

My mother still uses the Kirby vaccuum she bought in the early 1970s. Still works as good as anything else.

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I have a Kirby G4 that I bought from my mom. It's over 10 years old and it has only been serviced twice for minor things. When it belonged to my mom it was used 3 to 4 times a week. Now that it's mine it gets used once a week and it still works great.

16. toby

toby Member

I have a tank of my dad's from the seventies . . . that thing sucks like i have never seen before. Best cleaner around, though it certainly isn't light. I don't know if they have changed in the past 40 years, but the one i have rocks!

17. Isabel

Isabel Member

While we're at it, anyone know of a very cheap and small vacuum cleaner? Like a Dirt Devil... except the last one of those I had was just about useless. Maybe I did something wrong with it?

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

If you are looking for a handheld model, there is an Euro-Pro Shark. I had one and it seemed to work good when it was new but there are things I didn't like about it. It has a very narrow hose entry into the vacuum that is susptable to getting clogged and can be some one difficult to unclog depending on the item. Also, it is a baggless with a disposable filter which is somewhat expensive to replace ($20?). The longer you go on a filter, the less it picks up. I now just use a small canister bag type (Kenmore).

For larger Personally, I think Hoover or Kenmore (made by Hoover) bag models do a good job for the money. There is a feature that lets you know when the carpet is clean. I thought that was more of a hoax, but it stays red in the high traffic areas longer even though, to me, the carpet all looks the same.

IMO- Dirt Devil < Eureka < Hoover. I've heard good things about Dyson but I can't seem to part with $500-600 for a vacuum cleaner.

19. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I've always felt that the westheimer vacuum cleaners worked better for those tough to get spots.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What he said...I got mine in the divorce, funny huh...I love it...I still have a crap load of bags and the shampoo stuff, etc...If you have the money, get one...