1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kinky drops out of Gov race, will run for Ag Comm. instead.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mulder, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Smart move for Kinky.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6769521.html

Friedman drops guv bid, seeks ag job
    Hank Gilbert also switches to ag race, endorses Shami

AUSTIN — Humorist Kinky Friedman dropped out of the Texas governor's race today, leaving Houston Mayor Bill White and businessman Farouk Shami as the main contestants in the battle for the Democratic nomination.

Fellow Democratic gubernatorial contender Hank Gilbert, a rancher, also moved to the ag race today and endorsed Shami for governor.

Friedman said after receiving advice from former Texas Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower, he decided to switch to that race. Republican Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples is seeking re-election.

“This has never been about me; this has always been about what is best for the people of Texas and the Democratic Party,” Friedman said in a statement.

“After my visit with Bill, my mind was made up. There is a clear alternative for the people of Texas, and today I'm changing courses with a happy heart,” Friedman said.

“Mayor White, Farouk and I share the same desire for changing the leadership in Austin, up and down the ballot,” Friedman continued. “I'm confident that the torch for many of my issues will be carried forward in November, and now, we'll do our part by campaigning hard to represent our party and the people of Texas, starting with protecting our farmlands, not give them away to Spain.”

Friedman said as agriculture commissioner he would focus on increasing farmer co-ops and the production of biofuels and bioenergy.

Friedman came in fourth in the 2006 election as an independent, gathering about 12 percent of the statewide vote — or almost 548,000 votes of the approximately 4.4 million ballots cast.

Gilbert, who lost to Staples in 2006, called Shami “a man who will serve the citizens of this amazing state faithfully.” He said he decided that the agriculture commissioner's office was the one where “I know I can best serve Texans.”

Friedman entered the race this year as the best-known candidate and appeared to be a threat to traditional-style candidate Tom Schieffer, of Fort Worth.

Schieffer could not get past Democratic primary voter opposition to his friendship with President George W. Bush and his service as an ambassador in the Bush administration. Schieffer dropped out just before Thanksgiving, opening the door to White jumping into the governor's race.

About that same time, Houston hair-care millionaire Shami got into the contest pledging to spend $10 million of his own money to win the nomination.

Shami put out a news release today saying he had filed as a candidate for governor, but then put out another release announcing a news conference for his official filing on Tuesday.

Fort Worth school teacher Felix Alavrado also is running as a Democrat.

The winner of the Democratic contest will take on the victor from the Republican side. That race is between Gov. Rick Perry, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and activist Debra Medina.

r.g.ratcliffe@chron.com

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Kinky just needs to go away period.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Smart move, and a good team player. But, what was this business about giving away our farmlands to Spain? :confused:

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

What a lie, but he is funny. Hope he sells some more books.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is Farouk Shami's religion?

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Who cares?

7. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

he's probably referring to the trans texas corridor

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Better for Mayor Bill

Rocket River

9. ryan_98

unfortunately it matters to many voters in texas.

and, even if he is a christian, there are still many who would not vote for him because his name is "funny"

it wasn't long ago people were calling our president osama :rolleyes:

10. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I won't vote for him. I need to see his birth certificate. ;)

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It was the right move by Kinky.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No, the right move would be to go away.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would be easy to laugh at the Kinkster, and my wife laughed out loud when she heard he was running for Ag commissioner, but he did corral quite a few votes last go round in the governor's race and you can bet that White is grateful he doesn't have to be concerned about him. And you never know... Kinky just might win. Jim Hightower, somewhere to the left of Kinky, was elected to the office twice. Texans don't mind a bit of the unusual in their Ag Commissioners. I guess you have to be slightly mad to be in the agricultural business in Texas, anyway.

I'm really excited about White. He has an honest chance at winning. Perry will probably win his primary. I haven't seen a race run this badly in Texas since Ann Richards ran for reelection as the one being run by Kay Bailey. No one can take her seriously. She's made it plain that hanging onto her senate seat just in case she loses is at the top of her "to do" list. Perry just keeps slamming her for every possibile thing he can come up with. That's his forte'. The negative attack. Sadly, she has fallen into the same trap. Texans are tired of Perry's act. They wanted him voted out of office the last time, but the Democratic Party couldn't get its act together. Bill White will make sure they do.

I think Bill White can win.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He's a Quaker.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2009/11/20/farouk_shamis_quaker_faith.html?cxntfid=blogs_postcards|Farouk

15. ryan_98

i need a texas voting history lesson. have we always had the option of voting straight party? it would seem to me, especially in this state, that unless there is a R by the name, the likelihood of election is limited.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't think this was completely true until 1998, partly because we had powerful Democrats who were Blue Dog enough to keep winning statewide elections; and Republicans still weren't fielding the greatest candidates: Mosbacher Jr and crazy-ass (but professionally successful) Clayton Williams come to mind. We had a Democrat Lieutenant Governor, Bob Bullock, who was probably the most powerful man in Texas for god knows how long, and who actually endorsed W. over Garry Mauro in '98. We also had a pretty charismatic and intelligent Democrat Attorney General, Dan Morales, who implemented the Hopwood anti-affirmative action decision rather than appeal it. Had the former not died and the latter not stolen tobacco settlement funds, I'm pretty sure we'd have a D-Governor right about now.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're one of several states that give an option of voting a straight party ticket, or selecting individual candidates. Honestly, I don't think there are a huge number of straight party voters in the state except, perhaps, in the Valley. Texans tend to be a contrary and independent breed, which is a good thing, often enough. Winning the governor's seat is very doable for the right Democrat, IMO, and I think that's White. Just look at Perry's numbers last time as the GOP candidate. They well and truly sucked.