1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kings protest loss at the buzzer to the Grizzlies

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Someguy1229, Nov 17, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

I didn't see the whole game but how the hell did it get to .3 in the first place?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I look forward to the day when
    1. the ball has sensors that starts the clock right when it is touched.
    2. the skins of the players has sensors that judge if the impact is strong enough for a foul call, and who touches the out of bound ball last.
    3. the officiating is all done by robots who are totally objective.

Until then, we'll just have to suffer through human imperfection.

Some people say that it is time to use one-hundredth of the second, instead of one-tenth. I actually believe the opposite. Why do you want to use a clock so precise when the human who controls it has a much slower reaction time? I'd say we use half of a second. That's about how reliable the human eyes can manage. You shouldn't be able to stop the clock with less than half a second left.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The NBA announced that Commissioner Adam Silver has denied the Kings’ protest of their 111-110 loss to the Grizzlies on Nov. 13.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/538381228765089792">November 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Silver determined that the referees’ call that Lee’s shot was timely was within their judgment and not a misapplication of the playing rules</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/538382320525668352">November 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>There is no mention in the NBA's explanation about Kings C Ryan Hollins tipping the ball on Memphis' in-bounds pass thus starting the clock.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/538383340903350273">November 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The basis for Kings’ protest was that Courtney Lee’s game-winning shot should've been disqualified as having been made after time expired.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/538383638308851712">November 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA didn't mention Ryan Hollins' tip because the refs ruled he didn't touch it &amp; replay review deemed no conclusive evidence that he did.</p>&mdash; Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/538384651883380739">November 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

:confused: I thought there was a .4 seconds rule requiring the player to only tip the ball...not grab it for a shot.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yup. You can't catch and shoot.
    Looks like Lee gathered it and hoisted it up, but that's still technically not a tip. Should have not counted.

6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Protest Lillard's 0.9 too. Still hurts

1 person likes this.
  7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Just when you thought Silver was a good guy, he's continuing the trend set by Stern...

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Silver is more stern than Stern.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Stern is protecting the establishment and the NBA's video replay system.

Just like the Ferguson case the establishment has to be protected.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ok so one is a decision by a single executive position with input from investors and The other is based on a vote of 12 random people

Ferguson vs the kings protest doesn't seem similar at all to me

You and your logic is weird

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I remember when that happened I was trying to find a reason in my head why that shot shouldn't have counted..

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It certainly does. Become a contributing member and you can edit, as well as other things. I edit all the time, because I'm a terrible speller who posts something, stares at it, and then says, "****! That's spelled wrong, dammit."

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I still refuse to believe that Brandon Roy could catch the ball, land in mid-jump, turn around, then hoist away a 30+ footer all in 0.6 seconds. Damn home court advantage, and damn the NBA for cleaning up the **** their officials leave behind by simply throwing dirt on top of it and hoping no one notices.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's .3 not .4

15. theangrycanary

I know a way it could be fixed.

You could have a second clock start running before the ball is tossed in.

Then after the play, they could just use simple math to see if the ball went in before time expired.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I got over that one because the fact that we beat them in the first round that year but completely understand your point. Hard to swallow those kinds of loses.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There were .3 seconds left on the game clock.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Figured that would happen....oh well....

DD

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The kings should have said that Courtney Lee yelled something racist as he made the shot. Then Silver might have done something...