1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kings] Francisco Garcia signs 5 year, $30 million contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Honey Bear, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3609317

Great contract for a very underrated player. The Kings have a dynamic wing trio of Kevin Martin, John Salmons and Francisco Garcia. Not sure how Donte Greene will fit in there but they seem to know how to spot talent at the 2-3 spots. If they pick up a post presence next offseason (and send away the horrible Brad Miller's expiring contract) they could be competing for the playoffs.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

really? dynamic wing trio?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Saw this and I'm undecided if it was a good idea for the Kings. I don't consider Francisco Garcia underrated. This past season was the first time he showed he might have NBA game. I wouldn't be surprised if he regressed back into being a scrub.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Ronny, are you a kings' fan? honest question, as you might watch a lot more of their games than most of us do.

I'm in the camp of wondering if this deal is going to... age well.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

By the end up the season Donte Green will knock this guy out of the rotation. Bad move for Sacramento.

Sure, he's an okay player -- about as 'okay' as a rail thin 6'7" 190-pound something wing can get -- but he's still nothing special. $6M a year is too much, IMO.

6. Asian Sensation

He's a good player and that's a fair contract. Before we got Artest I thought Francisco would be a great fit as a swingman for us. He's steadily improved his game in his few years in the league and even though hes only 195 or so he plays tough in addition to the smart plays he makes.

A3PO, he's too good revert back to being a scrub. The guy is more than solid.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't see the Kings that much last season so I'm out of date with the guy. Seems like his attitude and confidence were always far ahead of his ability. Wish him and the Kings well.

8. Lovemachine2000

One must consider that Garcia is an average defender at best, Kevin Martin isn't much of a defender either, so starting these two at the wings will make the Kings the new Denver "so soft you can cut it with a butter knife" Nuggets on defense. Garcia has hit his peak, partly due to his mediocre athleticism, and the Kings are overpaying him with this contract.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont much at all about this guy but i guess there paying him half as much per year as carl landry. interesting

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

He's getting paid about .5 mil per season more than what John Salmons is getting paid. I wouldnt say he's much if at all better than Salmons. But since Garcia's a couple years younger they probably think he can still improve a little, making this a somewhat fair contract in comparison

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I've always wanted Garcia to be on the Rockets. He's incredibly underrated. With a little more weight, he'll be even better. Good for the Kings to lock him up with Kevin Martin for the future.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Turkeyglue got 3 years $21mill total. Turkey is much better than Garcia.

13. Pete the Cheat

what position do they intend to play him at? he was getting back-up pg minutes when we played them...

I like the guys grit, but this is gonna be one of those contracts teams regret about the 2nd year in...

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Dumb mid level contract for a team filled with middle of the road players and contracts.

If the Kings are wondering why they've been stuck in mediocrity for a few years now, its because of stupid deals like this when you have no superstar and no money to bring in a star because you wasted it on mediocre talent.

And to think Geoff Petrie was the golden boy GM at one time.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Petrie used to be one of the best GMs in the NBA but he's lost his mojo and I bet he's fired next summer along with Reggie Theus. The only above-average player on their roster is Kevin Martin. Even other starter (Miller, Moore, Salmons & Udrih) is substandard while Douby and Garcia are the top bench players. Donte Green won't do much as a rookie (if ever). The Kings won't be the worst team in the conference but I don't think they have much chance at a .500.

Next summer, the Maloofs should clean house.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

17. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

The thought of Salmons, Garcia, and Martin is truly a formidable combination.

Yeah right. Apparently $6 million/year doesn't get you much anymore. But $3 million/year gets you Carl Landry. Wow.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I have no idea if the player was worth it, but I do know that it's a stupid move by any organization in Sacramento's position, given they are more than one or two or five good role players away from being a championship contender.

Why tread water and hinder your financial ability to acquire superstars in the meantime?

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wait garcia got 6mil/year

wow maloofs just wow

what have you all done to that once exciting franchise.

while 6mil/year isnt bad for a contributing role player on a team, its really bad for a guy like garcia who gives spot minutes at best and isnt that good. I was really high on the guy coming out of louisville (heck I hoped the rockets would draft him) but he hasnt developed or shown me anything in the NBA that has impressed me. heck i am glad we got luther head instead of this guy.

wow 6mil/year

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Didn't know people were so down on Francisco Garcia! He did not have many off-nights last year, he performed consistently when he was given minutes and that's what this league looks for. Quick release, great length, plays big for his weight and an improving slasher. He's skinny but a tough guy with a good work ethic. At age 26 he is entering his prime, if he can stay healthy (which he has so far) I don't see how he starts to "regress". Both him and Kevin Martin shot around 40% from long distance last season with 100+ 3PM.

I'm a Rockets only fan, but I do watch a lot of games from around the league on League Pass.

Hedo was signed before his breakout season, when his stats were similar to Garcia's.

I wouldn't mind bumping this thread in 2 years.