1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nero

Nero Member

If you have a Fire, have you noticed this?

In the 'upper-left-hand-corner' (if you are holding it upright, with the power button at the bottom), there is a 'hole' behind the glass, which looks suspiciously to me like a camera, or at least where a camera would go (or maybe will go in newer versions).

Has anyone noticed this? I have not seen any sites where they have dismantled one yet, so I don't know if it is nothing at all.. but wouldn't it be cool to find out that this thing comes with a camera and it is just disabled or something..

2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I don't have a Fire, but it sounds to me like you're describing the light sensor, which causes the screen to adjust its brightness based on how you have your display settings. I could be wrong.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

There's no point in the Playbook if those are your options. Both the Fire and the Nook are going to have better software support and media capabilities.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the light sensor.

4. Nero

Nero Member

That's what I thought too, and maybe so, but if it is, there is nothing either in the settings (not that I can find anyway) or in the behavior of the unit that would suggest that a light sensor is doing anything. The screen does not alter brightness based on light levels, at least not as far as I can see.

Oh well.

I still think it would be cool if there was a camera in there, and some hackers could just 'wake it up' .. hehehe

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I also found this from an Amazon forum

"When first started, out of the box, my Fire contained an option for Auto Brightness, which uses the tiny ambient light sensor at the upper left corner of the frame. After the initial software 'upgrade', however, this feature no longer exists. Might this more accurately be called a 'downgrade'?"

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to be fair, Amazon has a developing partnership initiative with 3rd party app and device manufacturers that will provide some extended functionality. for instance, Sonos just released a controller app for Fire, as has Plex. there will be others.

8. roksoer

roksoer Member

A bit off-topic, does anyone by any chance know if they sell kindles at the san francisco airport?

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Nero:
    [​IMG]

:p

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I ordered one refurb for $139 last week when it was on sale on Amazon.

anyone owners with some recommended tips? apps?

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Samsung has a tab for $250. It comes with Android 4.0. I would take that over fire or nook. The next nook will probably have windows mobile instead of android.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Hope I don't get arrested for Necromancy.

Anyone know how to get rid of the goram AT&T AllAccess Application and its Notification spam?

I will never use it online unless I'm at home, so the application and notification are both annoying.