1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[kinda freaked out] Standardized Tests: Anyone else hate them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

I have a pretty long history with standardized testing not being friendly to me. Despite all honors-everything in high school, I didn't do so hot on the SAT and ACT. I didn't bomb them, but I didn't feel that my scores were an accurate reflection of my knowledge or intelligence. Even as far back as elementary/grammar school I was in the slower reading class due to some Texas academic-something-or-other test (back in the '80's, y'all) until they found out I was reading at a college level (don't remember how they did this) and moved me into the "gifted" class, or whatever it was called.

So now: nursing school. Graduate in May.

I'll sit for my boards (NCLEX) shortly after graduation, which I'll freak out about come May, I'm sure.

In the meantime, we're doing NCLEX-prep testing (standardized test) during finals week. This is outside of our actual in-class grades. Academically, I'm fine: 3.5GPA. But I'm scared to death of this.

The thought that my professors might wonder how I can do well in class and not on these tests bugs me to no end, even though I've met a LOT of RNs who did the same thing: great grades, then went out and failed their NCLEX.

And my own anxiety is NOT helping....

Anyone else have this problem of doing well in school then sucking it up once the standardized test that determines the rest of your f***ing life comes rearing its head?? How did you deal with it? Were you afraid they'd look at you funny for doing well on one thing (school) and not so well on another (standardized test)?

As silly as it sounds, please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem....

My stomach is doing flip flops....help....

2. AMS

AMS Member

When in doubt pick "C"

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

chill man. The world is gonna end soon any ways. ;)

But until then remember its your knowledge that counts. Not how smart test think you are. There are many successful people put out there that are super bright, just bad at taking tests. Me being one of them.(not to brag) :cool:

4. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

get a haircut

Just kidding! You seem like a bright dude, and someone who cares about what he's doing, so just relax and be confident in your preparation and know that you're ready for this test. Learning is about effort, testing is about execution...so execute :cool:

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I think I'm the opposite: dumb as a door-post, but do well on standardized tests.

I'd suggest you just do a lot of practice tests. The reps will make you better at them.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

I'm actually a big believer in standardized tests. Do they measure knowledge or intelligence? Not really, no. But they do measure whether or not you can come up with the correct answer under a pressure situation, and that's a very valuable skill. So, if you have trouble in those situations, the solution is the same as it would be if you were a professional athlete or musician or whatever: relieve the pressure. How? Practice, practice, practice. Take practice tests over and over again. Time yourself. Put as much pressure on yourself outside of the test so that when you go in to take the test, it's no big deal. You're prepared.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Take a shot of whiskey before studying, then, when going to take the test, take a shot of whiskey then too. It will calm you, and take advantage of state-dependent memory, and put you in the zone.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Nah, you'll do okay. I think everyone I knew coming out of nursing school was nervous about it, but all of them got to the minimum#(75) and it stopped. If you have any snap to you, you'll do very well. I'd suggest not worrying about it, hell, don't even study...seriously. The questions are so general and there was a lot on delegation...as long as you know what you can do and what others can and can't do...which is honestly common sense (who has the license and who doesn't) you'll do well on those also.

Make sure you do all the 'pre-test day stuff', a goodnight's rest, good meal, go to the bathroom before, yadda yadda yadda. Try not to stress over it...I promise you after you take it you'll be surprised at how easy it was.

BTW, are you planning on going to CRNA school?

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I love standardized testing because its standardized. At least you everyone is taking the same thing.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

new studies have shown "B" is now the new "C"

I too hate standarized tests. I think they are stupid

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I dated a girl who had problems with tests. She wound up seeing a counselor and was able to take tests in a special room, alone, with as much time as she needed. Apparently a lot of people suffer from test anxiety. Me, I didn't buy... she was being a baby about it. But I definitely agree it could be potentially stifling problem.

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Thats wired man. If you had no problems getting good grades in the class room then the standardized tests should of been no problem for you. For me those tests was easier for me then the in classroom studys. Well good luck man, just be glad your not a kid now and days cause now and days from the 5th grade, if you don't pass those test, then you don't pass the grade.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Don't get psyched out. It's just another hurdle you have to jump in your life. Once you've passed the hurdle, nobody cares about it anymore. Just relax and get through it.

15. tested911

tested911 Member

Michael Benson thinks otherwise :)

[​IMG]