1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kid Pitches Too Good, Forced to Quit and Team Forced to Disband

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lil Pun, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-toogoodtopitch&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP)—Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player— too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho’s team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho’s coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn’t quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league’s field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.
    ADVERTISEMENT

“He’s never hurt any one,” Vidro said. “He’s on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?”

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

“I feel sad,” he said. “I feel like it’s all my fault nobody could play.”

Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

“I think it’s discouraging when you’re telling a 9-year-old you’re too good at something,” said his mother, Nicole Scott. “The whole objective in life is to find something you’re good at and stick with it. I’d rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner.”

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

“He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower,” Noble said. “There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport.”

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

“Facing that kind of speed” is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho’s mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

“I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho’s mother exhibited Wednesday night,” Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho’s parents Monday to discuss legal options.

“You don’t have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it’s wrong,” he said. “Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?”

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

This is so stupid. Too good? what a crock.

I guess Conn. has no idea what "select ball" is. Here in Texas, that kid would have ten coaches lined up at his door, offering spots on their teams.

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I think that's commonly revered to as vaginitis. A serious and often fatal condition.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I think the right thing to do is to let him play out the season but strongly recommend that he play in a more competitive league the following season that is more along the lines of his skill level.

it's similar to junior tennis where you have 9 year olds playing up in age divisions because their skill level is too good for children their own age.

It was wrong of them to try and disband the entire team or walk off the field because he took the mound though. Sounds like sour grapes. The league could have handled it better than they did.

5. Landlord Landry

What a great Coach!

"alright kids...you see that kid, he's too dam good, and way better than ya'll are, just quit"

6. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

40 mph? That would get lit up by the little leagues here in the Spring Klein area.

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

DUDE I know exactly how this kid feels it sucks I can't pitch in the Majors because like him I am too good those douchebags over at the MLB won't let me play.

I have a 150 MPH fastball with pinpoint command. My arm is simply too strong it would break the catcher's hand if he tried to catch it.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Hey, the Olympics cut softball because the Americans were too good (except that they finished 2nd) so it's OK. They're just following the precedent set by the IOC.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is CT not the state that instituted the mercy rule in high school football? I think they were suspending coaches that ran up the score.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The kid is throwing 40 miles per hour in a co-ed league with beginners. This isn't a little league team full of kids that started playing when they were 5 years old. The kid should be playing with other kids his skill level.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I forgot to add that it sound like the team was full of ringers trying to dominate a bunch of beginners. That is probably why the team was disbanded.

12. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

13. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

While I disagree with not letting the kid play - I have no problem with the coach pulling his team off the field.

It seems the kid was banned by the league before the game started. So if they put him in the game, they were cheating.

Nonetheless, it is goofy that they didn't find a way to resolve this issue in a better way. They should have found him a spot in a better league instead of banning him.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The league basically is a giant hypocrisy if he was asked to join the former champions and then they threw him out when he didn't.

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

A couple of questions:

1) Why not just play up? Do you really want to go out and ring up an bunch of fall ballers (most fall ball players are not very good)?

2) Why did the mom call the police? What crime was committed?

16. LouisianaRocket

I think by not letting this kid pitch, they are doing a disservice to ALL the kids in that league.

It isn't T-Ball, the point is to win the game, if the kid moved up... he wouldn't be that great of a pitcher, you hamper his progress as a pitcher, and also hamper kids in their offensive progress.

The point is to get better, so what if the kid is to good... as a coach you should be getting your team prepared to play against someone that is good at the sport. I feel sorry for these kids when they get older and can't handle losing in Jr. High and High School because the parents and coaches sheltered them.

Poor little guy, he thinks it is all his fault nobody can play against him, talk about breaking a kids heart. :mad:

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Why is he competing against 8 year girls?

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So much blame to go around. The mother sounds crazy, like most parents of children who play sports. Jericho wasn't banned from playing, just pitching. I don't think it's all that great to not let him pitch, but why couldn't he continue to play second base and let someone else pitch?

19. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I could understand if it was a safety issue. And 9 year olds were getting plunked at 40mph with regularity.

But it seems like the complaints were all about morale, and I think one of the valuable lessons of competative sports is that you always have to improve, because there is always somebody out there better than you.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have no idea what speed I threw when I was 8-9. What is the "normal" speed thrown at that age?

EDIT:

Also, 40 MPH on a Little League field is equivalent to around 53 MPH on a major league field.