1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Kickstarter] Veronica Mars Movie Project

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Eric Riley, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I backed it, and I've never even watched the show (had no idea what it was about even). :eek:

Most of that might be my Kickstarter addiction, but the show sounds interesting and I guess I'll be checking it out now.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Would this be the season 4 plot where she is an FBI agent?

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Feels weird that I have never even heard of this show.

5. tallanvor

It is a season long murder mystery (at least the 1st and 2nd seasons). You may be turned off by the CW high school stuff, but stick with it. You will enjoy it. For those wondering the show creator also made Party Down

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, or even Indians? It will BOMB. :eek:

That's what she promised. :(

7. tallanvor

It has blacks and Hispanics. Who gives a **** about the Indians and Asians?

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm an equal opportunity prejudiced racist discriminator. :eek: I don't want to leave them out.

I meant in that Kickstarter video. :p

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The CW stuff is precisely what turned me away from the beginning. But the show does seem to have a devoted fan base, so maybe I'll check it out.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

Does anyone else find it strange that Kristen Bell is stuck at age 17 while the rest of the cast members age normally?

12. tallanvor

their firefly-like legion of fans already have it 1.3 million

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really excellent show and I'd love to see a movie. But I'm conflicted about providing seed money to a big film studio, like Warner Brothers.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I read up on it via Wikipedia, and it sounded like something I'd like (CW teen drama stuff is not ideal, but not a big deal). Might start checking out the show this weekend (season 1 at least).

FWIW, this is the fastest Kickstarter to reach $1M. Took ~4 hours. The record was ~7 hours I believe, held by the video game project Torment (Torment might have the record for shortest amount of time with the "quickest to $1M record" record though).

I usually only follow video game projects, but this has been putting up impressive numbers. Keep in mind that a lot of the higher tiers are already sold out. Except for 4 $5K slots, everything $600 and up is sold out (wouldn't be surprised if the next couple tiers sold out quickly too). Also limited to US backers only at the moment, although they're trying to get something done for international fans. Should be interesting to see where this ends up. Might be to movies/TV what Double Fine's Adventure game was to video games.

Heh...just found out who the $10K backer was:
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/03/13/veronica-mars-movie-kickstarter-speaking-role/
    Turns out he also pledged for Torment (will essentially give $100K to that I think). Quite the Kickstarter backer with 65 backed projects...but I have him beat there. :p

(so what if just one of his pledges is more than all of my pledges?)

If you think of it as a preorder, it might not be as bad. Though the entry price is a bit high I admit. Video game projects are usually in the $15-$25 range for what is essentially the $35 entry here...and games are usually more expensive anyway. Ideally more people back so they can appropriately budget for the movie. If everyone waited to get it until after release, they might end up scrapping ideas that they wanted to do, but couldn't because the interest didn't seem to be there (WB might get more "profit" with this scenario actually). Big Kickstarter numbers would also help create other projects like this.

I understand the concern, especially since WB will need to be directly involved (i.e., Thomas, Bell, etc., can't independently produce this, even with $2M+ raised). But I think if you really like the idea, the people involved, etc., and would likely get the product anyway, it is probably worth it to back the project. IMO anyway. Guess I might be a bit biased though... :eek:

Now over $1.5M.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You make some good points. And in the end what really I want is to see more quality media produced. I'll probably kick in a few ducats.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe frameborder="0" height="380" src="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559914737/the-veronica-mars-movie-project/widget/card.html" width="220"></iframe>

17. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I will chip in if only Kristen Bell gets nekkid.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I probably would have kicked in a few bucks if it were a Kickstarter project to actually make THIS show.

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

One day left and they're over $5 million. Now they're trying to break the record for most unique donors.

20. VanityHalfBlack

I still don't understand this comment?