1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Khizr Khan speech at DNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

A letter from US Navy and marine vet to Mr. Khan

Dear Mr. Khan,

I want to preface this letter by stating that I respect your son’s sacrifice for this great nation. By all accounts, he is a true hero that sacrificed himself in service to our country. For that I am thankful.

As a veteran, I watched your comments at the Democratic National Convention with a mixture of sadness, and anger. The United States has a military comprised of volunteers. Every single member has made the conscious choice to join the military and serve. There is not a single service member who has been forced into service. It is important for all service members (and apparently, their families) to understand that service to this great nation does not imbue one with special privileges or rights. I found your comments troubling when you said: “Have you ever been to Arlington cemetery? Go look at the graves of brave patriots who died defending the United States of America. You will see all faiths, genders and ethnicities. You have sacrificed nothing and no one.”

Does it matter whether Mr. Trump has sacrificed “…nothing and no one?”…has Ms. Clinton “..sacrificed” for this nation? How about Mr. Obama? Your comment stating that Mr. Trump “…has sacrifice no one” is alarming. Are you intimating that YOU sacrificed? Sir, your son willingly sacrificed himself. As a father I cannot imagine the pain you must feel but his sacrifice is his own. He was not forced to serve.

I am troubled that you would allow a party that has little more than contempt for the US Service Member to parade you into the DNC to denounce Donald Trump. Did you watch when protesters at the DNC booed and heckled Medal of Honor recipient Capt. Florent Groberg? Did you notice your party interrupting the moment of silence for slain police officers? Your own hypocrisy in not denouncing these acts and instead using the DNC as a platform to make a political point is disgraceful. The simple fact is that whether one served or sacrificed does not give greater power to their statements. One vote is as valuable as another. That sir, is why our Country is great. Your condemnation of one person for a statement while standing idly as your party disparages veterans and police officers is the height of hypocrisy.

To conflate the need to prevent potential terrorists from entering our country with the belief that ‘all Muslims’ should be banned is simply wrong and disingenuous. As a reminder, Mr. Trump said: ” “Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life,” The irony of your son’s own death at the hands of these very people in Iraq should not be ignored. I have little doubt that your son would have recognized the need to protect our country from these very people. In fact, he held is own troops back so that he could check on a suspicious car. Your son understood sacrifice and how to protect “his people”…’his soldiers’….’his fellow Americans’…

As you continue to make the media circuit and bask in the glow of affection cast upon you by a party that has little regard for your son’s own sacrifice, and veterans in general, I would ask you to consider your comments and your position more closely.

Respectfully,

Chris Mark

US Marine and Navy Veteran.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Disgusting. Both parties aught to be ashamed of themselves. After Kahn gave his speech, ISIS turned around and declared Kahn's son an apostate. That's what these takfiri militants love to do, yet I don't hear either party recognize this as a problem.

Hope the Libertarians and Greens get a lot of love this November. Not that I like them, I just don't like the state of either of the two major parties.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It goes beyond liberal or conservative, there's simply no defending Clinton's past and honestly no one would try if not for partisanship. Clinton is likely more conservative than Trump's real views, that being the views he held for nearly all of his life before he started doing this ridiculous act. The only people who can't acknowledge Clinton's shortcomings are extremely partisan Democrats. The only people that can't acknowledge just how awful Trump is are either those who are mentally handicapped in some way or those who are extremely partisan Republicans.

This truly is the bottom of the barrel for both parties. If nearly anyone other than Trump won the Republican nomination, they'd be the favorite to win the election.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they know her shortcomings better than you do actually. At least the ones on here.

You just choose to buy into the right-wing media narrative.

The fact is that Clinton would make a far better president and be better for this country than Trump by a wide margin about as wide as the grand canyon.

That's not a partisan evaluation, just a no-brainer

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Anything short of Senator McConnell and Speaker Ryan revoking their endorsements of Donald Trump is cowardice. <a href="https://t.co/tlNvR3IzOn">https://t.co/tlNvR3IzOn</a></p>&mdash; Senator Harry Reid (@SenatorReid) <a href="https://twitter.com/SenatorReid/status/759872702542938112">July 31, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The difference between Hillary Clinton and Trump is this: Clinton is, at worst, a smart terrible person. Trump has shown himself again and again to be a dumb terrible person.

Even the worst possible version of Hillary is Lord Tywin: self-interested, ruthless, manipulative, but know that her interest is generally aligned with the stability of the realm and won't do things out of impulse. Trump, on the other hand, would randomly execute Ned Stark without considering that it could start a civil war that he's not necessarily prepared to win.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7hBnwPycFUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#385 Carl Herrera, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Cite your sources, legume: https://globalriskinfo.com/2016/07/31/an-open-letter-to-khizr-khan/

He started off well, but he veered into baseless attacks that took away from his overall point.

Tell me if you hear the protesters booing and heckling Capt. Groberg specifically

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hnQG8ATh23o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for his insinuation that that their son "would have recognized the need to protect our country from these very people" aka been OK with Trump's claim and immigration ban is presumptuous and insulting.

All you have to do is go read beyond the comments that he chose to highlight. It's about his blanket definition of Sharia, his call for a database of all American Muslims, his consistent demagoguery when it comes to American Muslims as people to be wary of, etc.

#386 shastarocket, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not really, when she's at her worst she's terribly incompetent.....you know, like when she's putting state secrets at risk by housing them on a private server, something that ANYONE with basic infosec training would know better than doing.....something that's illegal and will get you thrown in jail unless you have the political connections to get away with it.

The problem is that people on the left keep trying to spin her into something better than she is. She's a national embarrassment.

1 person likes this.
  8. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I didn't buy this propaganda from day 1 and I'm glad people are starting to wake up

(I know it's satire?
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Do YOU have a personal tragedy Trump had nothing to do with that could nonetheless be cynically leveraged to attack him? Please contact us!</p>&mdash; Hillary PR Team (@OnMessageForHer) <a href="https://twitter.com/OnMessageForHer/status/759933952089960450">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No it doesn't go beyond liberal or conservative because she's the Democratic candidate.

As a progressive, I can tell you that many liberals are fine with her as a candidate. Shortcoming's of course she has them I don't think you'll find anyone that says she doesn't...but it's not equal to Trump.

Even for you, you say she's bad and Trump is worse. Well yes, I understand why you as a conservative would say she's bad. The only thing I'd agree with is if this was Kaisch vs Clinton, Kaisch would win.

Clinton vs Rubio/Cruz? I doubt it. The main thing pulling progressives away from Clinton is the campaign finance issue. That's why they loved Bernie and that's why some are willing to vote for Trump because they think (wrongly) that he's going to flip the system upside down and get money out of politics. This is the main issue separating Bernie From Clinton. On so many other things they agree...and remember a lot of people think Bernie is some radical left-wing nut. Raising Minimun wage, affordable college, abortion rights, etc...there are a list of things they have in common.

Is she more to the right than Sanders? Yes, she is. No one will deny that I think but she's still a liberal candidate.

Also, what does anyone have to defend about Clinton's past? Her being a career politician in the modern era? You really think the other conservative candidates are any different? Rubio? Cruz? Bush? That's why Trump beat those guys because people are tired of how the system works. That's why Obama ran on "Change".

Even if Trump loses I think the populist message will continue to grow on both sides until it is appeased.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What a disgusting piece of ****.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Trump, his campaign, and his supporters are tripling down on offensiveness. Amazing to watch those defending it bringing Clinton into the discussion.

And those in positions to reject him and his offensive statements act like cowards... Ryan, McConnell both obviously know and are offended, but partisan desires prevent them from raising their voices. They should be ashamed.

As should all others that are defending him.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Trump has very thin skin. He can't take criticism without lashing back.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's possible to believe Trump is a moron ******* and also that Kahn is completely wrong when he talks about the Constitution.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/b...ebate-over-muslim-immigration/article/2598232

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hillary is running a massive propaganda web that controls the media and FBI. Lying Hillary has failed at everything she has ever tried to lead. If you disagree you are wrong.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow do you even understand the history of this country? Religious freedom was a tenant of the Bill of Right because people escaped religious persecution to come to America. It is one of the founding principals of this country. I can't believe the length you right wing nuts are going to defend trump. Compared to trump Romney looks like a great candidate.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

But that's a different argument than appealing to the Constituion, which is a legal document.

And in fairness to Commodore, he's been pretty consistent in despising Trump.

18. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Commodore isn't defending Trump. He call him a sociopath. But he is defending the ban on Muslim. He said Islam is awful. He is scare ***** of Muslim and would defend banning them from entering the US.