1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG wanted out, so why didn't we let him in?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hydhypedplaya, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

When Minny was shopping KG why in the world did we not offer them Yao? I mean KG can do everything Yao can do, but better.

DEFENSE - BETTER
    REBOUNDING - BETTER
    HEART/DEDICATION - EQUAL IF NOT BETTER
    BEING A VOCAL LEADER - BETTER
    FT SHOOTING - YAO IS BETTER BUT KG IS STILL AT 79% CAREER
    ASSERTING HIS WILL ON THE GAME - BETTER
    STEALS - BETTER
    ASSISTS - BETTER

Even when JVG was our coach we should have gone after KG. I mean KG is a perfect JVG player. He dominates on the defensive end and owns the paint. I just don't understand why we would not go after this guy. I mean he has a lot of similarities to The Dream, and we all know how much success Hakeem brought to the city of Houston. So why not go after another player that is so damn similar to Hakeem? They both were about 7 ft, athletic, fast, big men with great foot work. Both dominated on the defensive end and dominated the glass. Both could assert their will on the game and dominate the opposing player guarding them, regardless of who it is. KG would have been perfect under JVG and Rick Adelman, the guy could play in both a 1/2 court style or a run and gun style.

Im not trying to bash/hate on Yao, Im just trying to understand the stupidity of Rockets management. I understand that Yao is a cash cow for LES, but how unfair is it that the fans of houston got screwed over just so LES could stuff a few extra dollars in his pockets? I mean a team w/ KG and TMAC would make some SERIOUS noise in the playoffs. And its not like KG's career is coming to an end. The guy still plays as good as he did 3years ago and doesn't seem to be slowing down. If we truly are in a "win now" mode than you sacrifice even your cash cow for a better chance at winning.

Go ahead and flame away, but deep down most of you know that we would have had more success w/ KG than we do and will with Yao.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Can we stop crying? 29 other teams didnt want KG or couldnt get him.

3. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

29 other teams COULDNT get him, but we could have! Im not crying, its a legit question and something to really scratch your head over. Damn LES and his greediness.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

That pretty much sums it all up..

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I KNEW this thread was going to appear.

Have you watched the guy for the past 10 years? He isn't doing anything now that he hasn't done his whole career. He is and always has been THAT GOOD.

6. ibm

ibm Member

to the op - did morey tell you in person that mchale and/or kg himself called him in the summer begging for a kg-yao trade and morey just ever so cooly denied him?

see, that's the first problem in your post. assumptions <> facts.

also, kg can do everything yao can only better? that is a very questionable and likely false statement. excuse me here for skip my reasonings.

7. Glacier

Glacier Member

Minnesota was in the rebuilding mode. They wanted young players. Jefferson was the best that they can get at that time. How do you know that Les hasn't made an offer? If you don't know, then your thread is pointless.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

yao for KG.

tmac/rafer for hinrich/gordon/nocioni

KG-scola
    hayes-nocioni
    battier-bonzi
    gordon-head
    hinrich-books

with JVG they wouldve allowed 70ppg.

why are we talking about what ifs?

9. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

The guy is THAT GOOD and always plays hard EVERY SINGLE GAME for 10years now. This is why I drool over the thought of KG in a rockets uni.

Nobody told me anything, but are you seriously telling me that Minny would have denied a Yao for KG trade straight up when they knew KG wanted out? Minny would be lucky to get such a good trade. Yes they were rebuilding, but its not like they couldn't have rebuilt around Yao.

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

KG is far more versatile than Yao, but that's not to say that Yao could be just as effective as KG in the right system. I think the OP's comments are not completely baseless, but that could be because KG is in a team that is doing 10x better.

They both have different styles and strengths.. I just think that we're not really playing Yao to his strengths right now so he looks worse in comparison.

11. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

IBM is the definition of a YOF

12. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

You are already stupid enough to post this thread :D

13. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Politics... if we own Yao, we own China. That's why.

We could of offered Yao strait up, and Minny would of taken. Because then they would not just be getting Yao, but also China.

14. Shehzad23

Shehzad23 Member

badass threaddd!

15. dividend

dividend Member

After our game 7 loss to the Jazz last year and without thinking about the business side of basketball, this was exactly what I was saying albeit in frustration... Yao for KG.

But not because of the lack of talent Yao has. I have great respect for his work ethic and determination, but the game is not officiated in Yao's favor. I think he will always get the short end of the stick, which is so unfair. It would have hurt to see Yao go and I would have still been a big fan of his, but I'm a Houston fan first and foremost, and we deserve MUCH better than what we've experienced since the Hakeem era :(

It's getting frustrating, but I won't stop BELIEVING we can turn things around...

16. ibm

ibm Member

i don't mind of being called a "yof" if there is such a thing. and if i'm the very definition of yof, then i'll try to define it better, lol. after all, yao IS my favorite player on this rockets team right now.

fyi, i am also a big fan of hayes, scola and battier; and lately brooks. but yao is really my favorite rocket after hakeem.

btw, i used to be a huge and long time mcgrady fan (my wife still is) until recently. but that's a long story...

17. ibm

ibm Member

okay...

so did morey tell you that he begged minny for the trade and mchale just cold-blooded rejected him?

18. bronx43

bronx43 Member

I don't understand the flawed logic of the OP. Unless you think GMs and owners are complete r****ds who know less about basketball than you, why do you think Minnesota would have taken that trade? They tried to build around KG, a big man, for the past ten years and failed. If Yao is indeed inferior to KG in EVERY respect as you clearly believe, then why would Minnesota take a step backwards? The sole purpose of rebuilding is to acquire good young role players and get a high enough pick to draft a superstar. Minnesota, with Yao, would obviously go nowhere and still be stuck in limbo between full rebuilding mode and contention.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

How is it that we didn't trade Tracy McGrady for KG and then we would have had the Twin Towers? :p

20. spydermex

spydermex Member

2008 dumbest thread

one game dude, and you blame yao, blame our small guards first,

let me ask you something what did kg do with ricky davis and mike james as his guards?
    yea a whole lot, now kg has two superstars, who play the game better than tmac, and he has a great game against yao,
    Shhhhh troll

kg has been dominated by yao before, if this was a playoff series id understand, but one game
    man chill