1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG tosses 1.2 million towards Katrina victims

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rezdawg, Nov 11, 2005.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2221292

Garnett donates $1.2 million to Katrina relief fund

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star Kevin Garnett is joining the long list of professional athletes who are donating to victims of Hurricane Katrina -- in a big, big way.

Garnett is donating $1.2 million to build homes for victims in the New Orleans area and throughout the Gulf Coast region that was leveled by the hurricane in August.

"I knew I wanted to do something," Garnett said after practice Friday. "But I didn't know in detail what I wanted to do."

Garnett is teaming with Oprah Winfrey's Angel Network charity foundation on the project. Garnett said he chose Winfrey's foundation because 100 percent of his donation will go toward the victims.

"The fact that she pays the overhead of her employees and the foundation itself and just goes out and makes dreams come true ... I think it makes it more beneficial," Garnett said. "It's a good thing."

The former MVP certainly has the means at his disposal to make an impact. He has twice signed NBA contracts topping $100 million, in addition to his millions in endorsement deals.

Garnett said he has always been a big fan of giving to charity even dating back to his days growing up poor in Mauldin, S.C., but he never dreamed of one day being able to make such a sizable donation.

"I never would have imagined it being on this kind of scale," Garnett said. "Even back in school, whether it was 10 cents or 20 cents to get an extra milk or an extra tea, that's just the way I am.

"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did."

Though he does not have any family members or close friends who were directly affected by the disaster, Garnett said he felt a kinship with the victims.

"I'm from the South, though, and I know how hard the South is," Garnett said. "A lot of things that go on up North, there's a lot more opportunity. In the South, there's not as much opportunity and I know it's going to be a dramatic and drastic transition to turn that city around."

His donation will build one house a month for the next two years and was featured on Winfrey's talk show on Thursday. Garnett did not appear live on the show, but did tape a vignette to surprise Winfrey, who was clearly appreciative of the gift.

"It's just good to know that people actually appreciate when you do give," Garnett said. "I'm not the one for a lot of publicity, I'm not one to put myself out there with what I do, but in this case, I hope that it motivates others to give."

------

Bravo to KG.

2. 12345

12345 Member

I don't think "tosses" is the right word for this.

3. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

Damn cool.

4. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

nice toss

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Guess it doesn't take a college education to be a humanitarian...

6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

to tell you the truth, and i know this is going to make me seem like a bad guy, i think 1.2 million is too little for someone like kevin garnett.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

You're right. You're got-damn right.

About the "bad guy" part.

The guy will make 18-million this year -- which is, what, 9 million after taxes?

Will YOU be writing a check for 1/9th your yearly salary to help build houses in the Gulf Coast?

#7 KellyDwyer, Nov 12, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  8. fba34

if my 8/9th of my salary is more than most people see in a lifetime, yeah.

9. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

But you won't be writing a check for 1/9th of your salary this year?

10. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

1/9 of the salary before all the advertisement money, etc. Either way, people make money and who cares how they spend them? He has other charities to worry about, I'm sure. Besides, Sprewell was his teammate at one time. He's got mouths to feed.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

just a question.. how much did u donate?

12. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

8/9th of your salary is likely to be more than a lot of people will see for the rest of their lives. Just doesn't feel that way because the living standards in the U.S. is higher and cost more. But trust me, 8/9th of your salary, you can live really well in a couple of S. American countries, or South Asian, or African, or E. Europe.

13. fba34

lol. if i gave 1/9th of my annual salary, would that make me the same level as KG?

i'm actually an international student on a tight budget studying in canada. i dont really keep track of how much i give away, but yeah i gave some to the tsunami and south asian earthquake. also those remembrance day charities.

of course its nowhere as much as KG. but then again 9/9th of my salary is no where near 1/9th of KG's money.

14. fba34

i didnt donate any money to the hurricane katrina

15. fba34

you dont have to lecture me on that. everything here in canada costs 3-4 times more than back home.

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

What amount would be acceptable for a guy with the salary of Kevin Garnett? KG seems like a pretty charitable guy...heck, didn't he even buy a beer for everyone at the Target Center one game? I bet ya this isn't the only thing he's donated to in his lifetime.

17. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Very nice of him no matter how much money he makes.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

19. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

So what's KG supposed to do? Donate ALL of his salary to charities and leave only $30,000-40,000 for himself to live off of every year?

I can guarantee there's no way you'd do that if you made that amount of money.

Are you the same guy who waited on KG a year ago and posted here complaining about how cheap he was because "only" left a 20% tip?

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Charity is all about thought to me. Even if he gave $1, it still means he thought about giving away $1. Hey, he could have kept all that money to himself since he isnt obligated to part with it. Its his money.

Its not the amount but his generosity. Please dont overlook that.