1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KG close to Becoming a Celtic?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRaiderRocket, Jul 29, 2007.

1. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

Thats great for the celts. A lineup of rondo, allen, pierce, kg, and ..., would be a great team in the east. Minny get a lot of potential in green and jefferson. I think minny is gettin a little screwed if they arent pickin up rondo with it too but thats a good thing. THey will soon have telfair, ray, green, jefferson, and blount. Might have some hope in the future with their first from boston and bein lottery bound for two years. Have to wait and see how that turns out.

2. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

Minny will never get fair value for KG so in essence a deal like this would be good.

3. g1184

g1184 Member

Has anybody seen "Rebound: The Legend of Earl 'The Goat' Manigault?" KG played the role of Wilt Chamberlain in that movie ... now he'll be playing the role of Bill Russell.

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

the celtics should be locks for the ECF if everything fits together, I'm sure they will start out slow because of the chemistry issues. If Allen, Pierce, and KG stay healthy, they are going to be in the Finals, no doubt. You're talking about 2 25 PPG wing players with another 20/12 guy who plays stellar defense.

It's gonna be sick.

5. roswell raygun

No one ever questions Garnett's talent or work ethic. The only question about his game is his willingness to be a team leader and take key shots with the game on the line.
    That won't be a problem with Pierce and Allen in the lineup. The Celtics will be lots of fun to watch this season.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

the only reason i think of is KG was thinking about his own legacy. Everyone keeps saying how minnesota is not a basketball town etc. They took a real chance on him picking him at 5 (remember KG revitalized the HS to pros wave, he was the first guy since god knows when to have done it) and he shown them loyalty and it would probably cement his place in NBA greats if he could win a title there.

Going to the celtics he has a better chance of winning, but he will always be in the shadow cast by russell, cousy, havlichek, bird, mchale and all the other greats that have played for the franchise. there is also the matter of the 16 banners there if the trade happens all of boston will want at the very least a finals appearance if not a ring. if that doesnt happen he'll be under real heat from the boston media/fans

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I hope it goes through because it would make the East interesting and add a couple easy wins for us. I still have faint bad memories of Boston, but Red is gone, the Gaurhdin is gone, Bird is a Pacer, McHale is a Wolve, even I suspect all the fans are different. The only remnaint is Ainge I guess. It is such a different face I don't think I'd carry too much from the past.

That said, I wouldn't pencil in the Celts yet over the Heat, Cavs, Bulls and possibly, the Pistons. It wouldn't surprise me if they did win the East, but those teams have a lot of talent, some really young talent (Cavs, Bulls), some with the pieces if they get their stars bouncing back (Wade, Shaq, Billips), and others with chemistry. The Celts could be a 3 headed monster with some ugly blemishes (C, PG) that show late in the playoffs, think Hakeem-Chuck-Clyde and Hakeem-Chuck-Pippen.

But I think it would be a great move for Boston, and KG/Minny need to just move on.

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I stopped hating the Celtics once I realized just how damn good Larry Bird was. Sure it would have been nice to win in '86, but that Celtics team was freaking stacked. Come on -- Bird vs. McCray, and the Rockets actually win? We had Jim Petersen off the bench, and they had Bill Walton. We had Robert Reid at point guard, and they had Dennis Johnson. I'm amazed we did as well as we did, especially with how raw Dream and Ralph were.

Anyway, almost any trade for KG would be good for Boston. I think a reasonable deal would be Jefferson, Green, Telfair, Ratliff, and 1-2 1st rounders.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm indifferent to Paul Pierce, although there's no doubt he's a gamer. But KG and Allen are the definition of NBA 'good guys' and I would definitely start watching Celtics games if they were on the same team. Talk about going from worst to first.

No doubt they'd probably overtake my Cavs, but that's a good thing. I think we're complacent w/ letting Lebron carry the team to the NBA Finals in a weaker conference.

10. likethis

likethis Member

this is gonna make league pass more exciting. lol

11. vincentt

vincentt Member

about time i'm sick of all these reports saying he is going somewhere and nothing ever happeneds!

12. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

Shira Springer is reporting now on the Boston Globe's website that the latest phase of trade discussions do not include Al Jefferson, but do include Ryan Gomes:

As the trade currently stands, the Celtics would send Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff, and two first-round picks to the Timberwolves for Garnett.

Al Jefferson is not included in the deal at the moment.

It is uncertain how the teams would deal with Garnett's trade clause that calls for a 15 percent salary increase.

If the trade happened, Boston would then have four blue-chippers (Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Al Jefferson) on one roster. Not bad for last season's worst team. Their window to win a title would be short, their salaries would be high, and I'd like to see a point guard in his prime with that talent ... but still, Celtic fans have to be loving this report. (So much, in fact, that I have a hard time believing it's true. I'd be shocked if this deal ends up happening without Al Jefferson.)

That would be robbery then. No rondo AND NO JEFFERSON. Y would minny do this. Then u have a line up of rondo, allen, pierce, kg, jefferson. WOW

13. Bank_Shot

Bank_Shot Contributing Member

I don't see how Minnesota can make this trade without getting at least Al Jefferson. I'm sure someone else outside can make a better offer than that.

14. aamir

aamir Member

Ahh my fault, quickly skimmed the report and saw Ratliff/Rondo/picks

15. SmitingPurpleEm

No Al Jefferson? That's some highway robbery right there.

16. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

17. htownhustla

htownhustla Member

Update:
    UPDATE: That was quick! Less than an hour after posting the original story, Springer updates with news that Jefferson is back in the deal.

UPDATE: The Boston Herald is saying it's essentially done, while ESPN's Marc Stein is more cautious.

UPDATE: Rick Alonzo of the Pioneer Press reports:

Boston Celtics executive Danny Ainge said Monday morning that he is involved in trade discussions to acquire Timberwolves all-star Kevin Garnett. And Garnett is more open to a trade than he's been in the past, his agent said.
    "I can confirm we're talking, sure," Ainge told the Pioneer Press. "We're in discussions about K.G."

Ainge declined to discuss details of the talks, including which Celtics players might be involved in a trade for Garnett or how close the Celtics and Wolves might be to completing a deal. But the teams were reportedly close to a deal last month that would have included young forward Al Jefferson, and Celtics veteran Theo Ratliff has a salary-cap friendly contract that could be included.

"I'm sure we're one of a few teams that are in discussions with the Timberwolves," Ainge said.

Andy Miller, Garnett's agent, said the face of the Wolves franchise is aware of the trade talks.

"I think that he's more open to opportunities in general than he was the first time he heard his name being mentioned in a trade," Miller told the Pioneer Press. "At this point, he's looking at it from a different perspective."

18. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Fuuuuuck yea!!! Celtics will be fun to watch

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

WTF - that's just downright ridiculous. Danny Ainge is not allowed to own someone like that.

20. Fuse

Fuse Member

Is Kevin McHale smoking crack? Prefering Gomes over Al Jefferson? If I were home I would get both in the trade.