1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If this is a legit dedicated stat shtick account I'm in love and I hope you stay forever.

2. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

No need to have 2 ball dominant scorers in same lineup. Since green is far more efficient and the star of the team, kpj have to bring the ball to green and work off ball. He should be looking for the best shot possible and dribble when defense is unbalanced. That's not going to happen when he has the ball for half of the offense.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

• He averages 80 touches per game, 25 more than the 2nd highest player (Jalen Green). The gap has actually widened from last season, believe it or not. He averaged 72 touches per game last season, 15 more than Christian Wood (2nd highest), and 23 more than Green last season.
    • His time of possession is 6.9 seconds. The 2nd highest is Green at 4.1 seconds, who is a bit higher than Gordon at 3.5 seconds. Last season, KPJ's time of possession was 6 seconds.
    • 42% of KPJ's shots come after 7+ dribble this season, 12% higher than last season. The only person higher is Josh Christopher (50%). For comparison, only 28% and 14% of Jalen Green and Eric Gordon's shots come after 7 dribbles.
    Here is the most damning part, only 10% of KPJ's shots have 0 dribbles, but he averages a staggering FG 80% with an EFG of 120% on shots taken with 0 dribbles. This isn't a sample size issue either, because last season he had an EFG of 72% with 0 dribbles, by far the highest on the team.

This basically aligns with what a lot of people are saying, and that is KPJ is actually incredibly good as an off-ball, minimum dribble option. He just doesn't do it much at all.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

KPJ has been latching on to Jalen.
    Can someone please show this post to the coaching staff.

How in the world can they not see what everyone except for a few lunatics on this board is seeing?

King1, fchowd0311 and clutchdabear like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Saw these stats the other day and it's both encouraging and disappointing. Let's try to stay positive, I'm sure the coaching staff will make him aware of these stats. It's all about how he reacts to that.

Two simple fixes:

- Stop taking mid range shots.
    - Get to work earlier in the clock.

Does he want to be an illusion of himself more than he wants to be the best player he can be? I'm fine with him wanting to be himself, but you have to be a volume and efficiency MONSTER to do things like that in this league and I've not seen that from him yet.

There's such a clear path for him to become an excellent NBA player already. Doesn't require any skills development or deciding who to start or anything like that. Nothing but choices. He's surprised me already showing up to camp in great shape and being a committed teammate, so I have a feeling he could surprise us again. We're spoiled by how easily Harden became an elite all time floor general, in reality these things take time and repetition.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If KPJ were averaging 8 assists per game I wonder what the vibe would be -- would it revolve around his impending mental breakdown? As a "lunatic" fan of his I have to point out that assists are a two action stat. KPJ's teammates have SUCKED at finishing so far. I expect that to get better with more court time, but the potential assists are there. No need to mention 3 point shooting - he's still the best on the team and if his teammates were even average right now at shooting 3's the whole team would look much better. He's active on the boards and at least his free throws arent hovering in the 50% range.

Scooter is missing super easy shots near the rim - that should improve. Biggest issue I have is that his defense is hit or miss so far. He needs to really sell out on defense and the other side of the court will take care of itself. He's working the PNR much better and if those easy shots would have been falling his efficiency would look sexier for the stats community, but its been 3 games! This place usually melts down after 10 games so premature isnt even the word - his "failure" is a preconceived notion just waiting to be manifested! So soon though? I cant lie it gives me a good chuckle!

This tennis match should be another great social experiment. Screaming into the void is fun for some I guess, but KPJ isnt going to be sent to the bench after 3 games because 'super fans' cry for it. Kevin Porter Jr is YOUR starting lead guard whether you like it or not and since it needs to be brought up lead guards usually have the most touches on a team. I know I know. Not what you guys want, but hey he could still throw his lunchable during halftime again so there's something positive to look forward to! For levity even if KPJ had pristine stats it would not mean anything after such a small sample size and his lunatic fans would be roasted for even bringing it up so again its just supremely amusing to read the flip side so soon! Linking posts from here will be a fun hobby towards the end of the year. :D:D:D

7. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

I am watching Basketball since 20 years and my opinion about this guy is: You cant win a game with him but you cant be a Play Off Team!! His IQ is not enough for Playmaker or PG. This Team take too much bad shoots. Look the field goal percantage of the player! The total FGP of the team is 43%. Thats bad! Your Job as Playmaker is creating good positions for your Teammades.
    If Houston got a chance to get a strong pick they must trade him.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You can write multiple paragraphs and it won't make KPJ any better. He's a 6th man. That isn't bad

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No offense, but did you even watch the OPs video or read any of his follow-up posts.

KPJs at rim % isnt going to change meaningfully... this is who he is. When he dribbles a lot his fg% is crap. Shtos at the rim are when he dribbles a lot.

There's not a lot of complaining in the last few pages of this thread at least that ive seen about KPJ's absolute assist #s. Its his running of the offense, and the offensive flow.

Idgaf about how many assists he has. I care about overall offensive flow, total team assists and ball-movement.

AroundTheWorld, King1 and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you think KPJ has the talent and has played at a level of play to deserve to be ranked 11th in the entire league in time of possession? He's the 11th best player in the NBA to have the ball in his hands? Is that what we are going with? He isn't even the best player on the team at this p

11. fchowd0311

One of my biggest fears about this Rockets coaching staff is it seems like the head is Silas who is a pushover and the rest are a bunch of old heads who probably don't look at these stats. I really.hope the Rockets front office and training staff actually has analytical people somewhere mixed in there. you can't be successful in the modern NBA without it and I don't know if the Rockets coaching staff and front office has that type of personal. I really hope they see this stuff.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is not always easy for a player to adjust to being off-ball when they have been developed as an on-ball player especially when there is not a better guard at facilitating with the ball in their hands on the team.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I just wish Silas would stagger KPJ and Green more. Then we could actually properly evaluate KPJ.

It's confusing with him and Green out there together. Feels like a bizarro land 2018 at times.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Nah. Here's the thing. Every NBA team has a "best ball handler". They don't treat them like they are Luka though.

Also this has to be said. For as much people say Green doesn't have playmaking skills yet, he doesn't miss the open man nearly as much as KPJ when they both collapse the defense. KPJ is just more secure with his handle.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So KPJ is going to blow 2 footers routinely because "thats who he is" really? Okay! So now it's about "offensive flow" got it! I'll keep writing down these mind shattering observations so we can kick them around later since "this is who KPJ is" :rolleyes:

Before it was his ability to run a PNR and become efficient. NOW its about offensive flow and ball movement? Thats alot to take in! It would be nice if the peripheral players outside of Jalen could resemble average NBA players, but then that would be too much to ask!

You guys and these 3 games absolute statements! Clutch Fans at its best! :D:D:D:D:D

16. fchowd0311

Yes I want want at least 10 minutes per game dedicated to a two man game between Green and Sengun. Have a combination of plays run between the two where one set of plays is for Green where he gets a high screen set by Sengun(probably the best screen setter on the team) multiple feet behind the 3pt line so Green has plenty of downhill space in a half court setting to get to his top speed to the paint and have play sets dedicated to a mid range pick and pop game between Green and Sengun where when Sengun gets the ball he can either find Green as an explosive cutter or start using his high post skills to get his own.

17. fchowd0311

Why does KPJ have to be 11rh in the NBA in time of possession? Is he that type of player?

Every team has a player who will be their best ball handler. Doesn't mean we have to run a heliocentric offense around that player.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So you're going to make "average" data arguments after 3 games? SMH. Who's the best player on the team - Jalen? Huge revelation there. Who's going to handle the ball - Sengun? You guys are working yourselves up for nothing and I cant help but get a kick out of it.

19. fchowd0311

That was last season. He's actually increased his time of possession by almost an entire minute this season on a small sample size.

So it's gotten worse so far so hence it's reasonable to be wary of this trend because it's a continuation of last season but only seems like it's getting worse.

He's far too ball dominant on a team that really needs to develop other players also. We really need to spend some time developing Green and Sengun's on ball game and KPJ is hindering that.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Should we kick around the USG% on the team thus far and try to apply some context? No because ITS TOO SOON! Are you really going to fixate on "time per dribble" ?? Like I already said if guys could hit outside shots at a better clip this argument would be about some other random grievance. Go check out each game thread - its a roller coaster, but NOW its definitely decided. Too funny.