1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He’s a 2. So backup 2 for this team.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

lol this thread barely got going and has gone off the deep end. Jesus Christ

3. anchel

anchel Member

He's a great talent. But is not a starting level player on any winning team. Basically, he's soft as sh** and has very uncompetitive habits. Is not a winning player.

It's hard to say it, I like the guy, I recognize his improvements and I'm happy for him to sign that contract. But... I don't see him here in the future.

daywalker02 and clutchdabear like this.
  4. a time to chill

I like the video points out that Sengun can help KPJ by giving him assists since KPJ is best as a spot-up shooter. This is one of the reasons why I advocate putting Sengun in the starting lineup. He can share the load with KPJ when it comes to initiating the offense.

5. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Gonna have to disagree with you there tbh. Way too early in his career to make calls like that.

Denovo likes this.
  6. anchel

anchel Member

Body language habits, behaviour on the court, are unlikely issues to change at that age. Really hard, you try to do that at 13-16 y.o. Later than that, it's almost impossible... (Hope to be wrong and watch him become an all-star level player).

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah sorry, I'm going to need a little more than random opinions about somebody's body language and blanket generalisations that don't remotely correlate with reality.

Denovo and DatRocketFan like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

had missed this thread. Great great video! It’s amazing how it confirms the eye test. Been saying for 18 months now the less KPJ does the better. Not in the sense he shouldnt do stuff, in the sense he’d be a very good nba player if he tries to do less cause he’ll do more. It’s just so obvious watching.

it’s also the reason the Alpi benching pissed me off. Yes Alpi needs the ball in his hands. That’s why I want him n there. He and JG should have the ball in their hands. Which would leave KPJ, Bari and say KMJ/EG as beneficiaries of what they create.

I feel like we saw more of this in the preseason which is why there appeared to be more flow.

being that Alpi and KPJ seem to be the 2 most controversial players, I’d suggest Alpi next.

9. JayZ750

it should go well cause we all see what’s happening. HIS game is better playing off ball. The numbers bear this out. The eye test bear this out.

You’re basically asking - if they come to you and put you in a situation where you’re more likely to succeed will you be mad? Lol.

you’re joking right? You think KPJ has a right to be on a high horse about 100% being a starter? Based on what production?

This isn't fall 2021 anymore. JG is just as capable bringing it up the court as KPJ. We know this cause he does it a quarter of the time.

more than that, quality of dribble is relatively irrelevant once you get to a certain point. EG could bring it up the court.

the point isn’t the dribbling it’s the “vision” and decision making in fast break and half court offense. which KPJ co tinies to struggle at in the EXACT SAME WAYS as he has now since they made the move. Overdribbling. Not making simple passes. Bad at PnR. Forcing passes. Etc.

he’s also been bad defensively.

I’m a KPJ fan. I like his mental maturity. I like his work ethic. I like that he likes Houston. Etc.

I’m looking out for him. His best moves is to not be a PG. there’s no need to adjust to new teammates. Teams get new teammates every year. A natural pg is a natural pg. there’s been virtually nothing that has said KPJ is a natural pg, scoring first or pass first.

#149 JayZ750, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  10. MystikArkitect

KPJ looks better without the ball in his hands. Sengun looks better with the ball in his hands. If only there was some way to make the best of this situation.

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Kpj ain't pg material. If you were to say how about if he scores 25-30 ppg and is acting like a pseudo pg, that's more palatable.

Passing to open folks ain't natural for a score first guard like kpj, especially if he has tunnel vision

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  12. JayZ750

perplexing indeed!

13. Stat Nerd Perspective

30% of his shots last season came after 7+ dribbles

14. maj21

maj21 Member

Last season…

15. Stat Nerd Perspective

Would you like to know this seasons frequency?

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm a bit perplexed with this idea that KPJ's handles are significantly better than Jalen Green's, which is why KPJ is important as the primary ball handler. How often does Jalen Green pick up his dribble in traffic? Green always keeps his dribble alive, or he commits to the shot or the pass. KPJ always picks up his dribble in traffic with nowhere to go, which is one of his biggest issue on offense at the moment.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

KPJ definitely has the ball more on a string. I feel more confident when a defender like Murray presses KPJ full court that KPJ will be able to fend him off with his more tighter handle.

KPJ doesn't have near the first step and acceleration that Green has. KPJ needs to be more crafty to get by his man.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup 11th in the NBA exactly tells me he's dominating the ball than what is deserved. He should be no where near that high on a team with this much diverse talent where he is at best the 3rd or 4th most promising player.

A player like Cade Cunningham should be around that high, not KPJ.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

To me he just has the ball too much. He shouldn’t be a pg. I don’t think he has a good feel for that position at all. He may not dominate it like Prime Harden or Luka, but he needs to have it even less.

I don’t blame it on him really though. The offense they run and the make up of the team calls for him to have it as much as he does.

This is why I wanted to see Sengun in the starting lineup. Not to be an offensive hub, but just to give them another option as a guy they could run plays through so KPJ can be off ball more and be on the receiving end of instead of having to initiate the offense as much. He’s just not good at getting the team into offensive possessions and getting others involved.

20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

If he comes off the bench…that gonna be HUGE,
    If he starts as a sf, thats gonna be coooooool,
    If he starts as a pg as wht now he's doing, it's creepyyyyy
    [​IMG]