1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr: What is his ideal role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stat Nerd Perspective, Oct 22, 2022.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Team is tanking anyway, what's the harm in putting the ball in the hands of Green and Smith more? They might suck at it, but they need to develop those skills. More motion, like you said, but also more shared ballhandling responsibility.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

KPJ also can make simple reads off the pick instead of just going to into iso dribble mode after the initial screen is set for him.

Silas is also responsible but I doubt KPJ is running Silas' sets and gameplan to a t

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The team isn't tanking, but sure, if you wanted the team to be the worst in the league, setting up Green and Smith for embarrassment and failure would be a good way to accomplish that goal... to their detriment.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He does make "simple reads" along with more complex reads.... but he's still a young PG, expecting perfection isn't really fair.... especially when you wouldn't set that standard for anyone else on the roster

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you want to get me on a technicality?

I meant 2nd full season starting.

And not address anything I said that was relevant.

I guess a person like you needs any perceived victories you can get.

Sad!

[​IMG]

6. fchowd0311

Green isn't going to fall apart initiating plays here and there lol. Stop acting like he's got the ball handling skills of Brewer dude.

One thing they definitely need to do with Green that they do with Ja to take advantage of elite speed in a half court setting is set high screens well beyond the 3 pt line for Green when he crosses the half court line to give him down hill spacing to get at top speed in the half court.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

We've been the worst team in the league for the past two years with the ball in the hands of your dude. I think we've already seen "embarrassment and failure."

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he almost certainly would. He's SIGNIFICANTLY worse at it than KPJ despite not having the pressure of having to do it very often. Make him shoulder the burden of initiating the offense and he's likely to look a lot worse at it than he already does.

Green is still a work in progress when it comes to that aspect of his game, I think it'll come, but it's nowhere near there now. The hope is that by the end of the season, he'll be able to shoulder a bit more of the burden to make KPJ's life easier, but just forcing him into a position to look bad isn't best for his development.

9. fchowd0311

No. You are doing your thing again. I'm just going to dip out now.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....and in your opinion this is an argument to have the ball in the hands of those who are objectively worse at it more often?

Cry about KPJ not being prime CP3 all you want, it's not a valid argument to make things worse.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's probably for the best if you don't have a coherent counter argument.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I really don't get this defense. Oh if the ball is in the hand of another player it's gonna be embarrassing and rough to watch. Yet crickets from these folks watching kpj try to impersonate harden as we end up the worse team. But don't worry he's still learning the role, give him more time.

Oh no we can't force green to learn something new bc it might hinder his development. But kpj should b given the opportunity to learn the role cause it won't hinder his development. If you like kpj you could literally argue about anything in his favor.

Kpj is still young learning the role yet the other young players can't do it. What a lame way to Stan for kpj.

clutchdabear and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Jalen Green was running the offense and he was averaging 6 assists with a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio, the same people who cry their eyes out about KPJ would be drooling over how amazing it was. That's why I just can't take the criticism seriously.

Green will continue to develop, and when he does, he'll be able to step up as a combo guard. That's the future, but you wouldn't be helping him by forcing him into a situation before he's ready for it....especially when it's not necessary.

Right now if Green had to initiate the offense every time down the court, his scoring numbers would go up, the assist totals for the team would plummet and the turnover numbers would skyrocket.

Be patient, the Rockets will have 2 fully functional combo guards sooner rather than later.

14. fchowd0311

It's also funny because I've actually seen Green do things like wrap around pocket passes to the roll man right on the money that I just don't see from KPJ. The dude goes in tunnel vision mode as soon as the initial screen is set.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the problem, you see him do something once, and your takeaway is that he can do something while ignoring every time he fails to make the right read or fails to make the pass and gets tunnel vision that leads to a turnover or broken play. On the other hand, you see one time KPJ fails to make a read and your takeaway is that he can't do it and that he always gets tunnel vision.

It's a clear double standard, with one player, you see 2 drops in a glass and say the glass is completely full and with the other player you see a glass tha tis half full and to you that means it's completely empty.

It's absurd.

16. fchowd0311

No not really. KPJ is a better ball handler than Green. He also has worse tunnel vision than Green.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm... maybe it doesn't have to be a guard at facilitating. ;) I don't want to derail this thread. But this is why I am mad at the Sengun situation. KPJ is not as good facilitating than playing off ball. They tried it for a whole season. The evidence is clear. And I assume that they will continue to try it for another two seasons. Yet, they tried Sengun starting for a few preseason game and decided that it's a bad idea before a real game was even played.

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If green a 2 year guard is doing what kpj is doing in his fourth year, no sht people would b praising him. Kpj is a fourth year why is everyone acting likes he's is the same situation as green. Kpj was given the opportunity to do it his 2nd year and i heard jack sht about hinderin development bs but nah for green u hear this hinder development bs.

Kpj ain't the answer to primarily running the offense, man court vision is nonexistent since he tunnels too hard.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The numbers suggest otherwise. Like I said, you'll see the few times Green makes the right read and passes and you'll ignore every time he gets tunnel vision and gets himself blocked at the rim by forcing something that isn't there and ignoring his passing options.

When I see the times he does it right, it gives me hope that he'll develop into a solid combo guard....but I don't fool myself into thinking he's there already.

Like I said, the issue here is the weird double standard.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well at least you admit the ridiculous double standard that causes the odd hot takes, you are just making excuses for why you think it is legitimate.